Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:26 AM

87 posts, read 559,464 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you get it resolved quickly. It's a shame how important money is and the impact on families lives is not.

What is everyone's thoughts on going to an agent and having them shop around for you? Recommended/Not recommended? Pro's/Con's?

Last question, is it easy to change and modify your policy? I need to get HO insurance before closing. I am not well versed enough to get the "best" coverage so something mediocre will do for now I suppose, until I get a better understanding of what is good vs not good.

Last edited by LI BraveOne; 05-06-2010 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 10:49 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Default Excess Insurance Companies

For everyone using independent agents to shop for coverage from various insurance companies other than the big ones, be sure and read the following thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...live-near.html

Please tell your independent agent to make sure to only get insurance for you if the carrier is licensed in NYS. Members "A_Cooler_Head" and "fitz123" posted some excellent advice.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:24 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Bottomline: I am hosed.
The lowest quote is now back at almost $3,400 a year (this is with certain provisions which are unique to my property) It puts me at $150 a month more than when Allstate carried me. I am sick to my stomach.

I emailed the agent to make certain the company, Narragansett, is licensed in NYS. The hurricane deductible is dreadful - 5%.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:25 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
For everyone using independent agents to shop for coverage from various insurance companies other than the big ones, be sure and read the following thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...live-near.html

Please tell your independent agent to make sure to only get insurance for you if the carrier is licensed in NYS. Members "A_Cooler_Head" and "fitz123" posted some excellent advice.
Thanks for posting that. I read it and asked several questions which I wouldn't have known to ask.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Thanks for posting that. I read it and asked several questions which I wouldn't have known to ask.
Glad to help!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI BraveOne View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope you get it resolved quickly. It's a shame how important money is and the impact on families lives is not.

What is everyone's thoughts on going to an agent and having them shop around for you? Recommended/Not recommended? Pro's/Con's?

Last question, is it easy to change and modify your policy? I need to get HO insurance before closing. I am not well versed enough to get the "best" coverage so something mediocre will do for now I suppose, until I get a better understanding of what is good vs not good.
Read this thread from March to learn more:

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...insurance.html

Elke Mariotti, cityguy123 and noah88 give some good advice in the thread!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:51 AM

I just found that as well, thanks for linking to it.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:58 PM

383 posts, read 665,037 times
I should have said they are not writing any new homeowner policies on LI. State Farm has a limited amount they are allowed to write. Some Allstate agents will get you a quote but it is with an outside vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Allstate is both our auto and home insurance company (although 2 separate agencies). Should I call them and ask if I'm being scammed?

Old 05-11-2010, 11:51 AM

Well, im still plugging along here with trying to get homeowners insurance. I finally had my appraisal done and just got the pertinent information needed to proceed with a quote.

I called a State Farm office and they told me they have no policies available for at least another 2 months. They also said each office is different so another office may have policies available but its hit or miss. For those who are still looking, just figured I'd give some feedback.

I didn't notice any responses to my question about using a broker. Are their any advantages/disadvantages in using one? Will I pay more having a broker involved?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI BraveOne View Post

I didn't notice any responses to my question about using a broker. Are their any advantages/disadvantages in using one? Will I pay more having a broker involved?
No, you won't be paying any more.
In recent years I have only used a broker, but I have known him for 20 years, and am confident in his ability, knowledge and honesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island