Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:24 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,393 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to take introductory Physics and introductory Anatomy and Physiology classes either locally at night or over the internet in my 'free' time.

Has anyone taken just a couple of undergraduate classes at a place they'd recommend?

Has anyone taken either or both of these classes at a school they'd recommend?

I'm interested in getting these done as soon as possible, they are the only two classes I need, but haven't already taken in the past.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 04:57 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
I had taken those courses at USB. I would suggest looking into SCC for affordability and reasonable class sizes if you want a real classroom. I've taken a few courses online through the SUNY Learning Network. The credits were accepted by USB.
Online Degree, Online Course and Online Certificate Programs from the SUNY Learning Network and the State University of New York

Anatomy & physiology I is listed in their catalog for Fall 2010 as is College physics I.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:28 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,266 times
Look for Empire State College for cheap undergraduate credits. They are part of the SUNY system.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 PM

156 posts, read 449,075 times
Where are you located? I took a number of science classes at Nassau, and I was very happy with the quality of the teachers.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:21 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I had taken those courses at USB. I would suggest looking into SCC for affordability and reasonable class sizes if you want a real classroom. I've taken a few courses online through the SUNY Learning Network. The credits were accepted by USB.
Online Degree, Online Course and Online Certificate Programs from the SUNY Learning Network and the State University of New York

Anatomy & physiology I is listed in their catalog for Fall 2010 as is College physics I.
I second SCC. One of my supervisors teaches introductory meteorology classes there and speaks highly of the science/physics department.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:53 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Went through the same process last summer, except it was for Chem I and II.

The cheapest and easiest was at Nassau Community College. I would assume that it would be the same at SCC. If you go to Nassau, I know one of the intro to Physics teachers there who also taught last summer. He also teaches high school physics and is really good. You could also try SUNY at Farmingdale or Old Westbury, also Queens College and Queensborough CC.

Here is the glitch. Do you wish to take these classes this summer? There has been a surge of enrollment. We got closed out of all the above schools last summer and ended up at Stony Brook which was not convenient. In addition, Stony Brook is a competitve science school so the classes were rather high level. The intro science classes are very popular and at this late date, you may be too late for a spot during the summer. If you are interested in the fall, I suggest you sign up now.

Are you planning to apply to med school or a PA program?

The private schools, such as Post, Adelphi, Molloy, and Hofstra had more openings last summer, but the cost was $$$.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:53 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Stony Brook.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:53 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
I am at scc right now for undergraduate in accounting. A few of my friends have done the nursing program there
honestly it's great. Most of the professors are very very good. The biggest class I have had was 31 the smallest was 10. I have done both night n day classes and prefer the day.
It's cheap n as an adult I am striving for a 4.0.
I would definately recommend it

Old 04-30-2010, 04:00 AM

167 posts, read 383,380 times
I am enrolled for that class at Nassau this summer. They will tell you it's closed out but if you fill out a waiting list card with the professor you may get in - that's what I had to do and there wasn't much fuss about it....There still maybe time for summer session II in July.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:28 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Im a current SCCC student and I would be happy to go into the online registration system and see if their are any science classes still open for summer '10 and fall '10. In fact I am taking Intro to Weather and Astronomy in fall '10 at the Grant campus.

Let me know what you want to take and ill see if it's still open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island