Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,235,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
Funny, I'm just the opposite. I give EVERYONE respect. If they act like a jerk, they no longer get my respect.
That is the way i try to go through life as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 05:02 PM

324 posts, read 334,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
Funny, I'm just the opposite. I give EVERYONE respect. If they act like a jerk, they no longer get my respect.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:09 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,502,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Blacks aren't more racist.

If anything Blacks generally are more open about their racism while Whites are generally more "PC" about their racism and are more 'beat-around-the-bush' and 'hide-online' types; so that helps create the illusion that blacks are more racist.
Yes this is basically it. White racism takes many forms, such as the paternalistic racism of the cultural elite (oh they can't help it, they're like children!) the economic racism of conservatives (government money is just fine for bank bailouts, sweetheart deals for the investor class and agribusiness/oil subsidies but I don't want to see one penny of MY TAXES going to blacks because they are all welfare queens squirting out babies and buying lobster and champagne with their food stamps then driving home in brand new Escalades!), and the ignorant anti-immigrant racism of people like our own JIW (speak Spanish? you're illegal! kill the witch!). Racist blacks will just come out and say what they feel. Of course, since white people hold most of the cards in this society, I'm not sure why they are so quick to wrap themselves in the blanket of victimhood.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:42 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,502,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Glad that you finally see the truth.
Would love to meet someone who's actually seen that happen. I always hear it from their brother's cousin's former roommate.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,106 times
Certain sections of Wantagh, like forest city are becoming more diverse. Levittown has north of Hempstead turnpike seems to have a growing East/West Indian community.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,106 times
Certain sections of Wantagh, like forest city are becoming more diverse. Levittown has north of Hempstead turnpike seems to be having a growing East/West Indian community.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 PM

12 posts, read 13,875 times
Default Be you and accept your heritage

Don't let the narrowness of others reflect who you are. If they don't accept you then the loss is theirs!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:10 AM

23,930 posts, read 32,254,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
To play devils advocate (considering who we are talking about), web sites like this are all about blanket statements. The schools are good, the schools are bad, the area has drugs, the area doesn't, the people are nice, the people suck.

We're dealing in generalities here for the most part, and as a general statement, the south shore of Nassau Cty is pretty Italian-American centric with a nod to the Irish-Americans, and not know for being a bastion of diversity. If blanket statements offend you, you should probably not be on this forum. Just repeat in your head "eveyone is different, everyone's experience will be unique" and move on.
This person is telling it "like it is.", not how people wish it was.
There is a whole discipline devoted to the making of generalities. It's called "Sociology". I majored in it.

Long Island's South Shore has many attributes. A welcoming attitude towards people of color, (with the exception of Freeport) is not one that I would rant high. There is a lot of Italian and Irish, and the sub-ethnicity that is a blend of the two. There are Jewish enclaves as well, and when the South Shore becomes ethnic, it does so all the way.

I lived in the South Shore for a number of years. I loved being near the Ocean. I wanted to like it, but prejudice ran like a river there.

I can also remember statements particularly about Indian people.

Hicksville is in the middle of Long Island and there is a rather large Indian community. I would explore other areas too. Syosset has an Indian community as well. I am sure there are other areas.

If I had Indian friends, Wantaugh would not come to mind if I were recommending communities that are welcoming to people of other races.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:15 AM

23,930 posts, read 32,254,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbeehave View Post
gpsma isn't calling the entire south shore racist. I grew up in the area he refers to, and many residents there want to live amongst people like themselves. I can't speak specifically for wantagh, but i have to be truthful about massapequa. Even my old hs is still one of the whitest high schools on li.

A cross was burned on the front lawn of a black family a few blocks from my parent's massapequa house. It was in the later 1970's,the action was extreme, but things haven't changed all that much.

Honesty is the best policy.
this.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:43 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,317,709 times
I heard that a lot of people who live in Massapequa, Wantagh and other parts of the Riviera were actually originally from Southeast Queens but relocated (due to changes in ethnic makeup). So I can imagine that a lot of people in that region would be not too accepting of diversity since that was the very thing that a lot moved away from.

As for the schools, just be aware of what may occur if you were to place a child into a school where they would be the only one of their ethnicity. Most kids won't be afraid to make fun of you for looking like something they never/rarely seen (weird) and applying media stereotypes to you (which are usually not positive). Bullying is a huge problem in the Elementary and Middle School years, regardless of which school district it is, and there is a very large chance a child that stands out like that will be a massive target.

But if you really like a certain area and it meets most of your criteria then I would say go for it. Just weigh in the pro's and the con's.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 04-11-2012 at 04:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island