Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:18 PM

11 posts, read 25,177 times

Advertisements

I lived in Wantagh my whole life. They are nasty and snobby people who i doubt would be welcoming of anyone outside, white, black, hispanic or otherwise. My family moved from Elmont to Wantagh when i was 5 years old and we were snubbed from the beginning. We had a black lady move on our block a few years back and that was the buzz on our block and everyone seemed to be up in arms. Honestly, i can't stand the town and am so glad i moved out and am in a more friendly and welcoming place. Your better off moving somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 10:02 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,747,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeEC View Post
I lived in Wantagh my whole life. They are nasty and snobby people who i doubt would be welcoming of anyone outside, white, black, hispanic or otherwise. My family moved from Elmont to Wantagh when i was 5 years old and we were snubbed from the beginning. We had a black lady move on our block a few years back and that was the buzz on our block and everyone seemed to be up in arms. Honestly, i can't stand the town and am so glad i moved out and am in a more friendly and welcoming place. Your better off moving somewhere else.

So why were they up in arms? Was she robbing their houses, selling drugs or just trying to live the American dream like they take for granted.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:46 PM

She is just trying to live the american dream. She is a sweet woman who waves to you and always see's picking weeds out of her garden and sweeping the front of her walkway. The people here just think they are better than everyone else and if they dont like you they will make your life a living hell. I live in Valley Stream now and i love it. My husband and i sit on our porch and we get passerby's stopping and saying hello, wanting to pet our dogs and chat for a bit. Its such a different experience here.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:05 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,747,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeEC View Post
She is just trying to live the american dream. She is a sweet woman who waves to you and always see's picking weeds out of her garden and sweeping the front of her walkway. The people here just think they are better than everyone else and if they dont like you they will make your life a living hell. I live in Valley Stream now and i love it. My husband and i sit on our porch and we get passerby's stopping and saying hello, wanting to pet our dogs and chat for a bit. Its such a different experience here.

I have repeated this maybe 100 times on this forum. The only time in my life I was ever mugged was in Wantagh. Maybe it's because I have a Polish surname, maybe I looked like an easy target, maybe because I was a stranger in town at a local bar or maybe it was because I was walking to the train station. I'll never know. That event left a nasty taste in my mouth for Wantagh.

Valley Stream on the other hand, despite certain posters who will make negative comments about it solely on its location, being on the border of SE Queens. I have found VS to be a pleasant place with very friendly people and how could you dislike a place with such a welcoming name.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:23 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,486,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
So why were they up in arms? Was she robbing their houses, selling drugs or just trying to live the American dream like they take for granted.
I'm sure her kids we're.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I have repeated this maybe 100 times on this forum. The only time in my life I was ever mugged was in Wantagh. Maybe it's because I have a Polish surname, maybe I looked like an easy target, maybe because I was a stranger in town at a local bar or maybe it was because I was walking to the train station. I'll never know. That event left a nasty taste in my mouth for Wantagh.

Valley Stream on the other hand, despite certain posters who will make negative comments about it solely on its location, being on the border of SE Queens. I have found VS to be a pleasant place with very friendly people and how could you dislike a place with such a welcoming name.

I love valley stream. I hear so many people saying negative things but to be honest i never feel unsafe walking through hendrickson park at night. I love the area and the down to earth people. Even when we go to the supermarket we get everyone smiling and stopping to talk to my baby girl. It's not a "keeping up with the jones" kind of place and thats what i love about it.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,129 times
Grew up in Bellmore (and Oceanside), as well as lived in Merrick. I am white, I am engaged to a black man, wouldn't even think about renting or owning in MOST places on Long Island. Bellmore, Merrick, Wantagh, Seaford, Massapequa all included. The only places I would even consider are Malverne, West Hempstead, Long Beach, and Valley Stream. Possibly Baldwin or even Freeport.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:58 PM

6 posts, read 16,099 times
I live in Wantagh and would love to have you as my neighbor. I've been to Georgetown and LOVED IT!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 PM

63 posts, read 237,431 times
Quote:
LOL!!! We will eat Indian but do we want to live next to one?

I hate to say I know so little about them. Most that I've come into contact with speak Punjabi, practice the Sikh religion, have great music the fusion of Bhangra and dance, Jind Mahi, have excellent spicy food, Bollywood movies suck and they are bad tippers There are over a billion of them on this planet and that's all I know about them. I need to get out more.

lol That's something we are all guilty of. Guyanese culture is similar to that of the English speaking West Indies. Although located in South America, they've always been linked to the Caribbean.... CARICOM. They have more European influence than Indian (maybe have a very small percent that practices Hinduism)

The Sikh, Punjabi, bollywood is definitely Indian. Not Guyanes

Old 02-21-2011, 09:55 PM

63 posts, read 237,431 times
I would suggest visiting the area a couple of times. Spend time in the local places such as parks, mom & pops stores, restaurants etc you'll get a better feel for the area. The guy who takes me home from the office when I work late, lives in Wantagh. He's from Turkey and happens to be a very nice person. As stated by others on this board, everyone's experience is different. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island