Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 04:57 PM

577 posts, read 979,308 times

Advertisements

Yes taxes in the East Williston School District will be going up at least 3.35%, some programs will be cut, class sizes will increase, pencils will be rationed,windows will not be washed........ but a top pay teacher will be gouging the taxpayers for an extra $4,219.47 raise come July 1!

VOTE NO ON TUESDAY MAY 18!

Old 05-01-2010, 06:37 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Wow, pity to the millionaires in Old Westbury, even more pity to the people who troll upon this redundant thread.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Wow, pity to the millionaires in Old Westbury, even more pity to the people who troll upon this redundant thread.

Well being a teacher in the East Williston School District I'm sure that you're well aware of the fact that there are many other areas in the district whose home values are nowhere near a million dollars. Are you one of the East Williston Gym teachers making $129,830. and getting a $3.25% raise July 1?

Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 AM
grant516

n/a posts
There are areas in the district where homes are under a million dollars, however that is not the majority of the East Williston School District- just as there are teachers in the district making under 56,000 a year.

I wish I had the problem of the taxes on my Mansion going up to pay for a quality school.

There are, believe it or not, some of us though who will defend these educators without having any ties to their cashflow.

I've seen some REAL money in my lifetime in the USA, believe me... it isn't in the hands of teachers.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by grant516
There are areas in the district where homes are under a million dollars, however that is not the majority of the East Williston School District- just as there are teachers in the district making under 56,000 a year.

Actually a majority of households in the district are not mansions and are valued under a million dollars ie Mineola, East Williston & Albertson downs. Come July 1 a brand new teacher with zero experience starts at $56,992 and gets unlimited sick days for themselves, unlimited days off if a member of their family is ill (includes grandparents,parents,spouses,children,grandchildre n, in-laws & domestic partners).They get 80% of their and their family's medical insurance paid for by taxpayers. They also enjoy 2 personal days a year, 5 days death in the family leave, 4 days leave for emergencies, 20 days off if they adopt a child & 5 snow days. Not a bad starting salary for working about 160 days a year & if they're in the HS they teach for 3:40 per day. They also enjoy getting 20 years of guaranteed "step" salary increases in addition to yearly salary increases.

I wish I had the problem of the taxes on my Mansion going up to pay for a quality school.

The problem is most people in the district don't own mansions & even if I did I don't believe a teacher at top pay is worth $811. per day and $216 per teaching hour with top of the line benefits.

There are, believe it or not, some of us though who will defend these educators without having any ties to their cashflow.

Do you honestly believe a Gym teacher is worth $129,830 for showing up to work about 160 days per year?

I've seen some REAL money in my lifetime in the USA, believe me... it isn't in the hands of teachers.

I'm sure there is in private industry but then again I'm sure they don't get about 205 days off per year and its not coming from my real estate taxes!

New York State | Public Employee Payrolls on SeeThroughNY

Last edited by crv1010; 05-02-2010 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-02-2010, 07:42 PM
grant516

n/a posts
You're trying to look at this from the absolute best case situation for a teacher.
I love figures like 160 work days, where they contractually generally work 182, and how it's always some 120K salaried gym teacher who is brought up.

Calculating the exact times teachers have with students is a classy thing to do to. I'm sure all employees at all jobs are constantly working hand in hand with clients from 9AM to 9PM as most people on here seem to work.

In any event- the only thing I'll chime in on that might bring you any actual comfort is the concept of 'Unlimited' sick days.

Generally speaking having the option to take off whenever you want, comes along with banking no sick days which have value. Most teachers in other districts can bank 180 days and retire with a cash reward of $45,000 for that sick time (PTO).

Those who can't bank days if they've hit that max start to use them which costs the district money.

Allowing teachers to take off sick whenever they like often results in far fewer actual absences and end of contract payments.

The system could have a lot of abuse, but in small school situations, rarely ever does. That's the benefit of working with professional adults.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 PM

Yes contractually they're required to work 182 days but after all paid excusals they actually show up to work about 160 times a year & taxpayers have to pay for the substitute teacher that has to fill in for them.........and HS teachers actually teach for 3:40 minutes (look it up on the below listed link). I could care less about how productive workers in private industry are...I don't pay their salaries with my tax dollars.

Care to comment on East Williston teachers getting unlimited days off if a member of their family is ill (includes grandparents,parents,spouses,children,grandchildre n,and in-laws)?

New York State | Public Employee Payrolls on SeeThroughNY

Old 05-03-2010, 04:20 AM
grant516

n/a posts
You're one of those people who rather than seek some kind of actual solution to your crisis, will just cry and point fingers until your tax burden for public schools is cut about 50%.

Two things I can guarantee you-

#1. East Willistons school budget isn't getting voted down any time soon, people choose to live there for the schools and I'm sure if you've been to a PTA or board meeting at any point, you'll see the support for the school is tremendous.

#2. School spending will never come down to the level you're looking for to satisfy your formulas for 'fair work'.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:28 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,779 times
CRV,
If you live in the East Williston SD then you have a voice, and a choice. You can find out easily (probably on SeeThroughNY) when the current teacher contract expires, and go fight the school board that negotiates it. Of course you'll need like minded people on your side. You have the right (and duty) to pressure those who represent you (in this case the school board) to act in your interest. They authorize it, as much as school boards say that contractual increases are 'beyond their control' its pure BS.

If you don't live in the East Williston SD, then you have absolutley NO RIGHT to make this complaint about what they are paid. Complain about YOUR SD

Old 05-03-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
CRV,
If you live in the East Williston SD then you have a voice, and a choice. You can find out easily (probably on SeeThroughNY) when the current teacher contract expires, and go fight the school board that negotiates it. Of course you'll need like minded people on your side. You have the right (and duty) to pressure those who represent you (in this case the school board) to act in your interest. They authorize it, as much as school boards say that contractual increases are 'beyond their control' its pure BS.

You're right but the problem in East Williston and many other districts is that the Teachers Union backs certain candidates and the board is stacked with pro teacher types that give away the store. Its so bad in East Williston that the Board President voted NO on the proposed budget because the teachers and administrators refused to freeze their salaries.But it passed 3-2 because of the pro-teachers board members. So East Williston will be cutting programs, and WILL BE REDUCING FONT SIZES to save on paper and ink...but top pay teacher will be getting a $4,219.47 raise...go figure!

VOTE NO ON Tuesday May 18!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island