Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:55 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,195,175 times

Advertisements

Probably comparing it to Central Islip which is a dangerous area with terrible schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 08:27 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,007,939 times
Okay, Islip schools spend a lot of money on their kids. If you live in one (the better part) of Islip the elementary kids go to Sherwood School, south of Montauk. The other kids go to Commack Road near Sunrise Hwy (a nice school, not horrible). My son is in the latter and in special ed and after a bit of a fight gets a bunch of services.

By Middle school all kids go to Islip Middle School, then on to the High School.

Parents here in Islip are overly involved. You have what I call the 'first few families' that ARE cliquey and seem to be class moms/in on things/setting Junior up for life in Islip. The newcomer can join the PTA and so on (they encourage it).

I do find an elitist attitude in "Islip Proper" from the people who live in the South of Montauk area. The other part is more working class.

Teachers so far have been 'okay.' They put on a nice little show, but if your child is not perfect/has issues you will encounter a lot of flack(until they classify him or her Special Ed. Then all bets are off and he can stare at wall.)

They want the $$$ that comes with classifying your kid special ed.

Also Islip tends to give A LOT of homework. (busy work). If you have a smart kid, fine. If you have an extra 2 hours a night to help your child, enjoy.

I was very unimpressed with the K1 Center. There are some teachers there who should be retired and farmed out. (My son's first kindergarten teacher was a nasty old woman who 'had him figured out' in 2 hours the first day of school.) Needless to say I had him transfered.

Again, these are just one person's opinions. You should ask others.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 PM

15 posts, read 41,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Okay, Islip schools spend a lot of money on their kids. If you live in one (the better part) of Islip the elementary kids go to Sherwood School, south of Montauk. The other kids go to Commack Road near Sunrise Hwy (a nice school, not horrible). My son is in the latter and in special ed and after a bit of a fight gets a bunch of services.

By Middle school all kids go to Islip Middle School, then on to the High School.

Parents here in Islip are overly involved. You have what I call the 'first few families' that ARE cliquey and seem to be class moms/in on things/setting Junior up for life in Islip. The newcomer can join the PTA and so on (they encourage it).

I do find an elitist attitude in "Islip Proper" from the people who live in the South of Montauk area. The other part is more working class.

Teachers so far have been 'okay.' They put on a nice little show, but if your child is not perfect/has issues you will encounter a lot of flack(until they classify him or her Special Ed. Then all bets are off and he can stare at wall.)

They want the $$$ that comes with classifying your kid special ed.

Also Islip tends to give A LOT of homework. (busy work). If you have a smart kid, fine. If you have an extra 2 hours a night to help your child, enjoy.

I was very unimpressed with the K1 Center. There are some teachers there who should be retired and farmed out. (My son's first kindergarten teacher was a nasty old woman who 'had him figured out' in 2 hours the first day of school.) Needless to say I had him transfered.

Again, these are just one person's opinions. You should ask others.
I have to agree I have 2 kids one in IMS one in CRES. If you live south of Montauk it's pretty nice. I live North of Sunrise by route 111. If you live in an illegal apartment I wouldn't worry about it at all. There are a lot of them (doesn't make it right). $800 for childcare ???!!!! My wife does it in our home for something like $6 per hour. Central Islip you'll want to stay out of. The village proper is cute Main St kind of thing with some good restaurants
Poppy's,Maxwell's,Gino's and Tellers.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,789 times
There is a town called Islip. It is a Hamlet and is nice.Central Islip has parts that are not nice. South of Montauk in Islip is very nice.There is a preschool at St. Marks on Montauk Highway

Old 09-11-2007, 03:57 PM

406 posts, read 1,445,610 times
Islip hamlet is indeed a very nice place. We lived there for 15 years before the entirety of the Long Island insanity got to be too much. The movie theater is unfortunately gone, but the town itself is in pretty good shape.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:45 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 953,153 times
I don't know if anyone mentioned Islip Terrace, which is quite close to the new law school location in CI, but probably best to stay away from there too. Islandia too, I would stay away from. The further south, the better, unless the poster opts to head toward Hauppauge, which is fine but lacks the "Main Street" appeal of Islip proper. I wouldn't put too much faith in the school being completely honest and upfront about the safety and desirability of various nearby neighborhoods.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,888 times
I live in Islip. The school district is great, and it is a safe community to live in. East Islip is nice, but there is also a higher drug and crime rate than the Hamlet of Islip. And for your three year old, there are many good daycare options to choose from. Islip also has many homes for sale right now. I have happily lived in Islip all my life, and it is a great place for a child to grow up.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:43 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,024,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by director3 View Post
I live in Islip. The school district is great, and it is a safe community to live in. East Islip is nice, but there is also a higher drug and crime rate than the Hamlet of Islip. And for your three year old, there are many good daycare options to choose from. Islip also has many homes for sale right now. I have happily lived in Islip all my life, and it is a great place for a child to grow up.
Do you realize you responded to a thread that's almost three years old?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:19 AM

63 posts, read 163,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serginchik View Post
So the Islip itself is ok place to live?
Yes Islip is very nice as is E Islip and W. Islip. Islip Terrace in ok in sections, but Central Islip is the pits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island