Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:48 PM

332 posts, read 613,857 times

Advertisements

Whom exactly will you get to work when you cut their salaries by 30% and increase contributions ?

Remember teachers live in the same area as you do, they need to be able to pay their mortgages and taxes same as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The solution is to elect school board trustees with a backbone.

As far as I know, there is nothing in the Law that prevents one or more school board trustees from participating directly in contract negotiations or to hire an outside contracts expert to negotiate, rather than rely on the superintendent.

There is nothing in the Law that would prevent a 20%, 25% or 30% DECREASE in salary and a similar INCREASE in the staffs' share of the health care contributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:47 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
Whom exactly will you get to work when you cut their salaries by 30% and increase contributions ?

Well, if the teachers currently working in that district don't want to work for a 30% cut in salary, then teachers working in NYC will jump at the opportunity.

And, after many of the teachers are replaced by these teachers working in NYC, where will these replaced teachers find employment at their previous inflated salaries?

Old 05-09-2010, 10:12 PM

302 posts, read 590,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post

Remember teachers live in the same area as you do, they need to be able to pay their mortgages and taxes same as you.
This line and also "for your kids" have been used to cover up the greed for so long. It's getting old; come up with something new. Check up teachers' salaries of other places with HCOL besides NJ and LI and you'll get a reality check. And, I agree with Walter, I'm pretty sure there will be no problem finding replacement at a lower pay.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:17 AM

577 posts, read 979,450 times
People certainly have the right to vote down a budget if they wish, but it is really frustrating when uninformed people vote it down out of spite--without attending the public meetings, asking questions, learning how the money is spent, understanding which programs will be cut if it fails, knowing what the contingency budget provides, etc.

People realize that asking the wrong questions at a board meeting could be disastrous if you have kids in the district. Trust me teachers always attend these meeting and always note the ones that dare question their compensation or benefits package. Plus the only thing I need to know is that programs & supplies are being cut, taxpayers are being hit with a 3.35% tax increase BUT EAST WILLISTON TEACHERS WILL BE GETTING A 3.5% RAISE PLUS A STEP INCREASE! NEED I SAY MORE? I WILL BE VOTING NO ON TUESDAY MAY 18!

People should know that teachers will never receive less money (although those step increases can certainly be reined in). Budget cuts, however, may result in fewer of them (but mostly likely services will be cut first).

Well then they should accept salary freezes for many many years. Right now teachers get two raises per year, contractual & step increases. In East Williston teachers enjoy 20 yearly salary steps (aka raises). Thats 20 years of guaranteed increases plus contract increases! Come July 1, 2010 East Williston teachers will be getting 3.5% salary increases plus a step increase........about an overall raise of 5.75%. Not bad for working about 32 weeks per year! VOTE NO ON TUESDAY MAY 18!

Last edited by crv1010; 05-10-2010 at 11:04 AM..

Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 AM

63 posts, read 238,304 times
Maybe if the employees pay a little more for their health insurance, this might help to reduce the budget. It's one of those hidden secrets that you can't get an answer to at the board meetings. Employees health premiums in corporate American can easily triple the amount paid by the employees at these school districts.
Also some of these districts that were lucky enough to receive unbudgeted funds from the state, spent it all in one shot, instead of allocating over a 1 to 2 year period or more if possible.(given the state of the economy)....just a thought

Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudimmigrant View Post
Maybe if the employees pay a little more for their health insurance, this might help to reduce the budget. It's one of those hidden secrets that you can't get an answer to at the board meetings. Employees health premiums in corporate American can easily triple the amount paid by the employees at these school districts.
Also some of these districts that were lucky enough to receive unbudgeted funds from the state, spent it all in one shot, instead of allocating over a 1 to 2 year period or more if possible.(given the state of the economy)....just a thought
There is no standaed for the benefits. Some municipalities and districts pay nothing, some pay 15% to 20%. Although I am a defender of the public sector and labor in general, this is an area where unions can make a small sacrifice that would go a long way.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:38 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
I don’t think anyone wants to vote down the budget and hurt the kids but for the most part the school boards have done very little to bring teachers salaries and benefits down. Some voters feel that they need to do something so they vote down a budget out of frustration. The amount of the budget that is actually being voted on represent s a small percentage compared to teachers salaries and benefits that comprise 70-80% of the salary.

Voters need to become educated on the process and get involved early on in the budget process. The approval of teachers contracts have been rubber stamped by the BOE for too long. Taxpayers need to educate themselves on what is in these contracts and when they come up for approval. They need to get get involved long before the budget vote.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Well, if the teachers currently working in that district don't want to work for a 30% cut in salary, then teachers working in NYC will jump at the opportunity.

And, after many of the teachers are replaced by these teachers working in NYC, where will these replaced teachers find employment at their previous inflated salaries?
I'm sure the rubber room teachers would be the first hired! Maybe not the best idea.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I'm sure the rubber room teachers would be the first hired! Maybe not the best idea.

I seriously doubt that: while in the "rubber room", these teachers have access to a telephone, or they have their own cell phone, and can conduct a second business while collecting their teacher's salary, while not teaching. Why would they want to give that up?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:53 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt that: while in the "rubber room", these teachers have access to a telephone, or they have their own cell phone, and can conduct a second business while collecting their teacher's salary, while not teaching. Why would they want to give that up?
I'd love to know what all these great businesses are that you only need a phone to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island