Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:13 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,342,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I work in an commercial area where people are driving from as far as New Jersey and Conneticut to work. How that disqualifies what has been talked about school districts, I don't know.

As for what you qualify as racism....well, check what Sassberto said, more racism. Someone making an educated guess qualifies as racism. Right. Whatever makes you feel better.

Anything else I can type that you will mis-interpret either intentionally or not?
Sometimes you have to stand by what you wrote dude. I did, why can't you? Your attempts to spin your simple thread in to something it's not isn't working. Again, this isn't my fault.
It's your right to judge people any way you want but don't try to back pedal when you get called out on it.
Just makes you look worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 07:29 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Sometimes you have to stand by what you wrote dude. I did, why can't you? Your attempts to spin your simple thread in to something it's not isn't working. Again, this isn't my fault.
It's your right to judge people any way you want but don't try to back pedal when you get called out on it.
Just makes you look worse.

Who's backpedaling? I stand by what I wrote 100%.

You think being concerned about people sporting obvious gang attire is racism, I don't. And you frame it in this "you're an old fart" context like there's something that I just don't get...I get it, and if I wanted to live in LA, I would. If you don't care, that's fine, but some else caring makes them a racist. Alrighty, keep up the personal attacks.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:09 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,951,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I suppose this comment was meant to draw me out, so here I am, at your service.

I would advise you to comment on places you actually know about, which does not include Valley Stream. Just because Valley Stream has more blacks than many towns in Nassau, as Baldwin does, does not mean they are of the same calibre people as the ones in Baldwin.

For example:

Graduation Statistics of the Class of 2008-09 in Valley Stream

99.9% TOTAL GRADUATION RATE
94% of all graduates got REGENTS DIPLOMAS
61% of all graduates got ADVANCED REGENTS DIPLOMAS
96% of all graduates are ATTENDING COLLEGE

College Acceptance for Valley Stream's Class of 2010 include:

Harvard, Brown, Cornell, Duke, Princeton, University of Pennsylvania Wharton School, Polytechnic Institute of NYU, University of Michigan, Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education, Dartmouth, Emory, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Boston College, Univerity of Pennsylvania, Vassar College and Rice University among others.

How's Baldwin Senior High School doing?

For that matter, how's Midlothian Virginia's recent high school grads and seniors doing?

Now tell me again that just because there are more blacks in Valley Stream than the rest of lily white Nassau, similar to Baldwin, that must automatically mean that the kids here are a bunch of gangbangers and criminals.

Just because we are on the border of Queens does not automatically mean the kids are like the worse elements in Queens. That's just an ignorant ASSumption.

We also have a "more than average" number of hispanics in Valley Stream, but you would be hard pressed to find illegal aliens and any of the central american and mexican gangs with a presence in Valley Stream. Yes, for your information, there are actually hispanics who are conservative, have kids that go to college, and are solidly middle class! Just because we are close to Elmont, does not automatically mean we have hispanic gangbangers and illegal aliens just as being on the border of Hempstead does not cause it for Garden City. We do not have a gang presence in Valley Stream, particularly hispanic gangs for the same reasons we do not have an illegal alien problem in Valley Stream ... an active Village government and decent middle class people living in their own single family homes instead of slumlords.

If you don't believe me, ask someone extremely credible, such as "TheTruth08" who actually graduated from VS high school last year and is in college now. If you don't believe me, then have someone you know drive around ANYWHERE in Valley Stream and find any gang graffiti (or any other type of graffiti for that matter).

Sorry Baldwin didn't work out for you, but just because another place in Nassau is also racially diverse, do not tar it with the same brush of the problems you have experienced in Baldwin.

PS: I never liked Baldwin back in the day when it was supposedly "good." Perhaps it has improved some.

PPS: Valley Stream's high schools are also not among the ones riddled with teenage heroin junkies.

PPPS: I already know your wife is black, so please don't trot that out as your "evidence" of non-racism. Racists and bigots can and do make exceptions for "close friends" and "loved ones" as being better or "different" than the rest in their race.

PPPPS: You are "commenting on a messageboard," when you post here, not "blogging." Blogging means writing an online diary. You're welcome.

Wow what is all this nonsense Sorry if I pissed you off Love

I don't know Valley Stream ? I grow up going to the mall, shopping, movies there. Ok you could spit out all the High School GRADUATION RATES it means absolutely nothing when it come to Gang activity. Gang Activity is very prevalent in V.S. Have you ever gone to Green Acres ? Have you ever gone to the Movies? How many other movie theaters do you have to get patted down then go through a freaking Metal detector to get in???

These gang-bangers especially the hardcore ones don't graduate H.S. there not going to be part of your stats, but like I said before most come from Queens and Elmont and find there way in V.S. and cause trouble. Remember the white guy that got stomped by the 7 black guys These kids are just miss understood from hardworking parents not gang members. They were charged with gang assault and they lived in V.S.

Last year "Seven teenagers are charged with assault in what Nassau County police are calling a brutal bias attack. Police say two 19-year-old Hispanic males were playing handball in a park on Fletcher Avenue in Valley Stream Thursday. That's when they say a group of African-American male teenagers punched and kicked them without provocation.
The victims suffered cuts and bruises.
Police say some of those arrested admitted to being members of the "Bloods" gang."

You ask me if I don't believe you, I should go ask the "truth08" an 18 yo that just graduated high school I should take his word on gangs and gang members and colors over my own? I was a Sgt. in Gang for almost 4 years and another 6 years in major narcotics. I have and been on teams that have arrested several 100's if not thousands of gang members. I debriefed 100's of gang members personally. I've been trained and retrained on gangs and gang related activity but better I go ask this kid. I think I have a little more experience than him in regards of picking out gang members.

I never said that all gang members live in V.S. a small portion in fact do. But most come in from the surrounding areas. You see a lot at these house parties that are popping up there. I don't know if you see it or don't or don't want to know about it, whatever I don't care. In not a racial thing its a reality thing. Like I said earlier I was just surprised to see S.W.P's there. Oh btw have a good day

Oh that reference to Hempstead to Garden City and Elmont to Valley Stream makes absolutely no sense here. Think about it ....

Last edited by BigMike50; 05-05-2010 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 02:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Wow what is all this nonsense Sorry if I pissed you off Love
You do have a habit of ticking me off sometimes ... I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

Quote:
I don't know Valley Stream ? I grow up going to the mall, shopping, movies there. Ok you could spit out all the High School GRADUATION RATES it means absolutely nothing when it come to Gang activity. Gang Activity is very prevalent in V.S. Have you ever gone to Green Acres ? Have you ever gone to the Movies? How many other movie theaters do you have to get patted down then go through a freaking Metal detector to get in???
It is one movie theatre, National Amusements. Do you know how long ago that incident was that caused the metal detector? It happened during "Godfather 3" so I estimate that to be over 20 years ago.

Quote:
These gang-bangers especially the hardcore ones don't graduate H.S. there not going to be part of your stats, but like I said before most come from Queens and Elmont and find there way in V.S. and cause trouble.
The vast majority of the trouble causing patrons of Green Acres Mall are NOT from Valley Stream, yet because it is on the NYC border and is within VS, we get the brunt of the criticism. For the most part, out of towners who go to Green Acres NEVER even go inside VS proper. They just go to the mall and shop, cause trouble, etc., and leave.

Quote:
Remember the white guy that got stomped by the 7 black guys These kids are just miss understood from hardworking parents not gang members. They were charged with gang assault and they lived in V.S.
In that incident the white guy was the one who came out of his house and attacked first. None of the kids were charged. HE caused his own trouble by behaving like a lunatic because kids were making noise on July 4.

Quote:
Last year "Seven teenagers are charged with assault in what Nassau County police are calling a brutal bias attack. Police say two 19-year-old Hispanic males were playing handball in a park on Fletcher Avenue in Valley Stream Thursday. That's when they say a group of African-American male teenagers punched and kicked them without provocation.
The victims suffered cuts and bruises.
Police say some of those arrested admitted to being members of the "Bloods" gang."
And their admissions to being in the "Bloods" was later found to be a lie. Do you know the story about why that happened? They were trying to protect the neighborhood. The handball players were not stone innocents. Actually, I was expecting you to go all gung ho on me like you did when you had the dispute with the guy in Baldwin who told you there is no crime in Baldwin (and you replied with a whole page full of links of crime there).

Quote:
You ask me if I don't believe you, I should go ask the "truth08" an 18 yo that just graduated high school I should take his word on gangs and gang members and colors over my own?
Only because he actually attended school here and he has said that while people like to down the kids who dress "hoody" and assume they are in gangs, that there was actually only 1 kid in school who was a gang member.

Quote:
I was a Sgt. in Gang for almost 4 years and another 6 years in major narcotics. I have and been on teams that have arrested several 100's if not thousands of gang members. I debriefed 100's of gang members personally. I've been trained and retrained on gangs and gang related activity but better I go ask this kid. I think I have a little more experience than him in regards of picking out gang members.
The question is where did you work? The gang sets and situations are different everywhere. Did you work for NCPD? 5th Precinct?

Quote:
I never said that all gang members live in V.S. a small portion in fact do. But most come in from the surrounding areas. You see a lot at these house parties that are popping up there. I don't know if you see it or don't or don't want to know about it, whatever I don't care. In not a racial thing its a reality thing. Like I said earlier I was just surprised to see S.W.P's there. Oh btw have a good day
I'm just trying to point out that we're not Compton here. As for house parties, it's funny how nobody notes the people who are in professional sports and entertainment that show up for house parties, but if someone is or looks like a gangbanger that is big news.

As for "racial," well, it always surprises me that people on here can make a big deal if something is in the news that a black person did in Valley Stream (as in "let's be terrified! there goes the neighborhood"), yet when white people in VS make the news for crime it is not noted and they get a pass.

As for SWP, your post was talking about Baldwin too and I assumed that is where you saw them (as you said, you usually saw them in Hempstead). Let me know where you saw them in VS and I will get the appropriate people onto it. Seriously. I don't want them hanging around here. I have never heard of them in VS and I recently read a book published in 2009 by an author who is an expert on MS-13 and SWP and she discusses their antics all over LI, both Nassau and Suffolk, yet she never mentions VS once. I can't keep on top of everything with gangs. (Like I said, I didn't know the Latin Kings sometimes wore LA Kings clothing to represent.)

Quote:
Oh that reference to Hempstead to Garden City and Elmont to Valley Stream makes absolutely no sense here. Think about it ....
It's funny you should say that because the book I read was called, "Gangs in Garden City." (Not that there are, but the author was getting a little full of herself trying to get attention for the book IMO.)

In a way it does make sense. I am not saying that Valley Stream is way upscale over Elmont like Garden City is over Hempstead. That was not the comparison I was making. What I am saying is that Valley Stream has a Village government like Garden City does and the Village doesn't put up with the nonsense of slumlords, etc. If a slumlord bought a large home in VS and thought he was going to make a fortune filling it will illegal aliens, gangbangers, etc., the Village would shut him down, same as if one tried it in GC. Most of VS may not contain people as wealthy as GC does, but our Village government cares just the same as theirs does for them. It makes sense in that respect, and also just because somewhere is on the border of another place does not necessarily mean problems from one are guaranteed to go into the other one. Look at North Bellport and Bellport Village, for example. I don't think Bellport Village is going to be "ruined" anytime soon and that's not just because it's upscale, but because their village government is not going to let the nonsense go on. (I know a village government is no guarantee of perfect QOL. For example, Hempstead and Westbury have village governments that are/have been lax and have problems, but it can help if the people running it care about the community. Maybe if Baldwin had a village government things would not have turned out the way they have these days.)

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 05-05-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 13,331 times
I don't know about Long Island. I am an ex Gang Member though and was a Hardcore one. Fortunately I turned my life around and went to College and am now a productive citizen in society. I am about as much of a Gang Expert as you could find. Since the Only Gang experts have been Members. Even the Cops don't always get it right. My Point is you cannot judge kids just by what they wear but thier actions. If you see a kid wearing a Kings hockey jersey he actually may like the Kings. Now if you see 10 Kids all wearing Kings jerseys and Gold bandanas and black and gold beads. Then They are LK's....They changed the color of team caps originally because Spike Lee requested a Red Yankee cap to wear to match an outfit and it caught on. It's kool because then your hat can match what you wear. Now I know some old fogies, regardless of Race do not like to match the clor of thier clothes, but many people do. Gang members are people too. Next time you see one say excuse me, what kind of clothes does your Gang wear??? what do yopur enemies wear. 9-10 you will get an honest answer. As long as he knows you are not his enemy , you have nothing to fear by asking him a question. I have been and lived in some of the worst nieghborhoods in America and been to and lived in some of the best. So I can see both sides. It really is on a case by case basis. Because if you see a youth with a Red bandana who is Black standing in front of the projects, he may be a Blood, but you take that same guy and put him at a worksite and he is probably a construction worker. In the end the best way to know a Gang member is by his Actions, not appearance. This is America people wear teams and hats because they look kool, not just because they like the TEAM.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:40 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,342,729 times
So you agree the OP is racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island