Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 06:02 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There was talk in the recent past (12-18 months) of trying to create greenways alongside 347 to encourage bicycle traffic, etc, and making 347 more limited access with service roads. To me it sounded like the area in NJ around Rtes 4 & 17 which is a nightmare, too.

The plans 10 years ago were also labeled "greenways", but what it really was was a limited access highway like sunrise with more trees and bike paths. This is the idea that my environmental consultant aquaintance shot down immediately. "There's nothing green about it, it will simply encourage sprawl further out east."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 08:32 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Wow

That explains plenty.
Aint nothing but meatwagons tearing up Nicolls en route to SUSB Hospital all day long.

Thanks LIC.
You didn't know about opticom?

I am on Nicolls passing UHSB quite a bit during the day. I see ambulances about 20% of the time. A few times we've encountered the opticom in action at the 347/Nicolls intersection. While I feel badly for the person in the ambulance, it's a timesaver to have the light tripped in your favor.

As LIC noted, though, it stinks for those who aren't in that flow. (Been there, too.) You get a back up at the light from those who should have gone but couldn't because the light tripped, and then those who came along behind them in the normal course of traffic. It takes a few cycles before things are back to normal.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The plans 10 years ago were also labeled "greenways", but what it really was was a limited access highway like sunrise with more trees and bike paths. This is the idea that my environmental consultant aquaintance shot down immediately. "There's nothing green about it, it will simply encourage sprawl further out east."
It's being revisited. Probably will be shot down again, however we do have more sprawl out east, more traffic than 10 years ago, so who knows?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
It's being revisited. Probably will be shot down again, however we do have more sprawl out east, more traffic than 10 years ago, so who knows?
It doesn't make sense to me. Pass a law banning new development if you don't want it out east. The nightmare of 347 needs to be corrected.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:53 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
There was talk in the recent past (12-18 months) of trying to create greenways alongside 347 to encourage bicycle traffic, etc, and making 347 more limited access with service roads. To me it sounded like the area in NJ around Rtes 4 & 17 which is a nightmare, too.
Not so much of a nightmare anymore since they widened the roads and made it easier to negotiate lanes. The real nightmare is the Garden State Plaza off of Rt 4 and Paramus Park at Rt. 17.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:00 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,008 times
347 is just to my north (close to Nicols) & MCR just to my south. I ALWAYS opt for MCR over 347 - it's much quicker despite the shops and traffic.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
A bit of research has revealed that your local fire departments and volunteer ambulance services use what is called an opticom system. An opticom system is located on the emergency lightbar of each of their emergency vehicles. Once activated, IE: an emergency response, those vehicles have priority over the roadways via a sensor mounted by each traffic light at every intersection usually at mid wire. The sensor is black and it appears that small tubes protrude from it. Once activated their light will turn green. THe sensors can pick up the signal from approximately 1/2 mile away.

Normally the lights reset once the vehicle has passed and all is fine.

Occasionally it can throw off a traffic light system that is timed to keep traffic at a steady flow. Indications that it is messed up can be situations like a light that won't change for several minutes or gets stuck. a person from the town will then have to respond with a key to the traffic box to manually fix the light.

Numerous emergency response vehicles can wreak havoc with the system such as vehicles that are coming from 2 or 3 directions although I think fire has priority over the ambulance signal.

There you go.

Ain't technology grand
This is great info. I didn't know this was used here either. I remember before my dad retired as a firefighter they were installing these up in Westchester county and the congestion literally exploded.

it really explains the nightmare near Stony Brook.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Not so much of a nightmare anymore since they widened the roads and made it easier to negotiate lanes. The real nightmare is the Garden State Plaza off of Rt 4 and Paramus Park at Rt. 17.
I was sitting in that disaster on my way home from upstate last November. We hit the area around 7 PM and 17 south into 4 was backed up several miles. We crept along more slowly than the pedestrians who walked to and from the Starbucks. In fact, my son hopped out, ordered drinks, used the facilities, and I had moved a whopping store's length in that time.

We flew threw heading north the day before around 10 PM.

347 around the holidays is a complete nightmare. Hopefully the powers that be do something to alleviate the congestion from PJS through Lake Grove.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
347 is just to my north (close to Nicols) & MCR just to my south. I ALWAYS opt for MCR over 347 - it's much quicker despite the shops and traffic.
Totally agree...especially since they redid MCR with some new turning lanes...not great, but def better than 347.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:45 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Hopefully the powers that be do something to alleviate the congestion from PJS through Lake Grove.

HOW???? The only way would be to close off alot of the side streets access....I think its too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island