Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:24 AM

4 posts, read 6,990 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I will be starting a job soon located in Garden City, and I'm thinking of buying a home.

Here are some of my stats:
-Married with two daughters 9 and 2
-Look at home prices less than $500k
-we own 1 car
-school district is important, but also value a community feel
-My wife works 3 days (thur - Sat) a week in downtown Manhattan and will possibly need to commute via LIRR
-I'm a avid cyclist and prefer to commute by bike (max 10 miles one-way)
-having lived in NYC my entire life, I was hoping to buy something with decent space, but it's not a must since I'm currently living in a closet anyway

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 08:43 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
lushizzle, not all addresses that have a "Garden City, NY 11530" mailing address are in the Village of Garden City, a self-governing municipality in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County; many are in East Garden City, a hamlet, that is governed on an at-large basis by the Town of Hempstead, to the immediate east of the Village of Garden City.

You can check to see in which comunity you'll actually be working by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Separately, I've sent you a more detailed explanation of the geography of Lawn Guyland by DM.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:31 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
You might get into Stewart Manor under $500K, barely - it's a really nice (and overlooked) town set between Garden City and Floral Park, with its own train station that is walking distance from any house in town, a great community feel and everyone keeps their house nice.

School district is the only drawback - people are really happy with the K-6 school (which offers PreK as well) but you probably won't want to do the middle or high school (I'd say 90% of the people in S.M. send their children to Catholic school).

Otherwise you might check out Mineola.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Let's put it this way.

You won't be able to afford a house in Garden City, so how long do you want your commute to be .. as in how far away from Garden City are you willing to travel? Once we pinpoint that, we can give you suggestions of communities you can afford which also have good LIRR access to NYC for your wife.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:09 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Try North Merrick, New Hyde Park or Stewart Manor

Old 05-10-2010, 07:19 AM

Kbinspections, do you mean the Village of New Hyde Park (631 acres) or places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address, which is a much larger area (3,339 acres)?

Places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address that are NOT in the Village of New Hyde Park are in the Village of Lake Success, the Hamlet of Manhasset, the Village of North Hills, the Hamlet of Manhasset Hills, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, the Hamlet of Herricks, the Hamlet of Garden City Park and the Village of Garden City.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:52 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Let's put it this way.

, so how long do you want your commute to be .. .
He said 10 miles max in his OP, as he is going to be bicycling to work.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 AM

If the OP (= lushizzle) will be working in East Garden City, and not in Garden City, and wants to bike to work, then Salisbury may be a good choice.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Thanks all. This site has been a tremendous resource. I've been all over a bunch of your threads.

Yes, personally I'm okay with biking to work within a 10 - 15 mile radius (north, east, west, and south) from my job. My job site is actually across the street from the Roosevelt Mall right off the Meadowbrook. I'm trying to find the best value between a good school district and house size.

Thanks

Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 PM

What are your thoughts about Syosset?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island