Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,612 times

Advertisements

I had FIOS for 3 years. I recently switched to Optimum. I'm trying to decide which one sucks the most and I'm having trouble.

Verizon FIOS:
1) Lied to me about a free TV.
2) Stood my wife up without a phone call twice (two days off work for her).
3) Promised us a $100 credit card, and send a $50 gift card to Lowes.
4) Sent us two broken DVRs.
5) Shut my services off WHILE I was talking to them.
6) Over-billed me for 5 months.
7) Offered me discounts the agent wasn't qualified to offer.
8) Promised numerous return calls about technical matters that we NEVER received.

OPTIMUM:
1) Lied that I'd get wireless.
2) Has a very crappy cable product.
3) Runs their phone service through VOIP.
4) DVR has low capacity.
5) Their online chat customer service is staffed by certifiable idiots who answer the one question they are trained to answer, without looking at your question.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:45 AM

184 posts, read 805,971 times
I would like to see the results. I am moving into a new apartment next week and have both options but have been on the fence. I have only had cablevision and it has been okay.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:50 AM

63 posts, read 238,304 times
Based on your list, 8 to 5...seems like FIOS is worst. I had FIOS but switched back to Optimum because the CSR for FIOS is horrible and I do not like the idea of being tied into a contract. The technician came to my home outside of the time range and didn't have the courtesy to apologize. As soon as he left the phone went dead and I had to wait one week for them to fix it. Optimum stinks at times but atleast when I call, I get a timely response and home service (if necessary). The good thing about FIOS is the many channels, but I don't have enough time in the day so I'll pass.

I have wireless with Optimum, and also battery back up. I'd suggest contacting them or going to the nearest office. I'd say chose the lesser of two evils.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:47 AM

98 posts, read 775,055 times
I got Optimum and I'm ok with them. The price is better then VZ, the cable service is not the best but I'm ok with it, never had problems with the internet or their phone service.

Their phone features are great once you set it up.

I can live with an Ok quality for the price they offer AND without a contract.

I did have a problem with the cable signal about 6mo. ago, called them, scheduled a service for a Saturday, they showed up on time (also the tech called me about 30min. before to make sure I'm home and to let me know he's on the way to me) and fixed the issue in about 30min.

Their TV quality is not the best, but their customer service is great.

Also, I hate arguing with them at the end of the 1 year term where they try to change you from a promo rate to a regular. then it's a few phone calls to put it back to the promo for another year

Old 05-10-2010, 11:52 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,612 times
Default Oh, I forgot another FIOS problem

9) They also failed to show up for the initial connect. When I called to ask where they were, they said they had no record of an order.

Honestly, I had a better time dealing with CitiMortgage for my loan modification than I ever had dealing with FIOS customer service. They are an absolute nightmare.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:59 AM

371 posts, read 938,407 times
Direct TV for me...Optimum sucks and FIOS is not in my area...

Old 05-10-2010, 12:05 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK210 View Post

Also, I hate arguing with them at the end of the 1 year term where they try to change you from a promo rate to a regular. then it's a few phone calls to put it back to the promo for another year

You can do that (agrue to get the promo rate back)????

Old 05-10-2010, 12:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
I switched to Fios a little more than a month ago and I have nothing bad to say about it. The people who did the install were on time and finished very quickly. They gave us a quick review of how to use someo of the services. I needed to contact them once to help me understand how to do something and the person I dealt with was professional and helpful on the phone. I never had an issues with phone help form Cablevision but I think the Fios service is much better for the money.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:59 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,195 times
i like the picture of fios and computer speed but i have had to make several phone calls about mistakes in the bill-funny, mistakes never in my favor-they also charged me for a dvr-never asked for one- and it turned out one of the boxes were dvr-i didnt even know i had it in my house-i dont even know how to use it-i had to send it back and they sent me a replacement box-

Old 05-10-2010, 01:20 PM

292 posts, read 820,209 times
I was much happier with Cablevision's customer service than I am with Fios (Verizon has always sucked in that regard) however, we ALWAYS lost our service with Cablevision when there was a storm. I mean, it was like living in the 1970s again.

When we were getting Fios, the guy showed up at the appointed time (9:30 a.m.) and looked around and said he needed to come back with a bigger truck. Our phone/cable lines run from the backyard where I live, so this made no sense. It wasn't like he was going to drive the truck into my yard. He made it sound like he'd be back in 10 minutes. 5 hours later, after numerous phone calls to Verizon and speaking to no one who knew anything about anything, a guy showed up.....with the same truck. You can't make this stuff up.

When we got OPtimum, CV outsourced it to some independent contractors who came in and literally ripped apart my entire basement including DH's office, then could not get the service hooked up or even put it back the way it was. We called CV, they sent a guy right over (literally 20 minutes later) and that guy was awesome, he was here for about an hour and cleaned the whole mess up and set up all the t.v.s, etc.

So, it's a wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island