Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:55 AM

138 posts, read 270,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
One can always level the old and build a new house, but they can't build new land.

Please answer me honestly -- do you really want to buy a house on LI?

Yes but with jobs leaving long island, young people leaving the island, baby boomers retiring and leaving long island....do you think that there will be a lack of land in the future? Especially in Suffolk, where a 2 hour commute to the city seems inconvenient.

I cant understand living here, unless of course you are motivated by family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:01 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,031,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1219 View Post
Yes but with jobs leaving long island, young people leaving the island, baby boomers retiring and leaving long island....do you think that there will be a lack of land in the future? Especially in Suffolk, where a 2 hour commute to the city seems inconvenient.

If all these people are really leaving, the rest of us can meke it to the city in 45 minutes.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,531,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1219 View Post

There is enough people in Brooklyn and Queens who want to move to the island to supply the island.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 AM

138 posts, read 270,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
There is enough people in Brooklyn and Queens who want to move to the island to supply the island.

Yes, that always used to be the case. But it seems like the new trend is to move out to the boroughs, at least for the younger kids. Property taxes are so high, as is the cost of commute. I think people are becoming tired with suburban lifestyles for such a high cost. Not sure though...only time will tell.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:30 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,016,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
50 years ago, definitely... Whether it was white flight, the lure of affordable, beautiful, brand spanking new suburbs, or safety and schools for them to start a family - they came in droves. Now? Not so much.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 AM

152 posts, read 547,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
I'm not a real estate expert, but to me, an item-- any item, including a house-- is worth what a person is willing to pay for it. So even though those homes have large glaring imperfections, they are still worth that price because a significant number of people are wiling to pay it.
This is true. And while there still may be a drop to come, it most certainly won't be that significant. Someone who bought a house for $500K at the height of the market isn't going to sell it now for $350K just because that's what it "should" be worth. Unless that person is entirely unable to afford the house, there is really no incentive to move and take that big of a hit. I expect there may be a slight drop off now that the tax credits have ended, but as much as some of us complain about Long Island, NYC will always offer jobs that draw people with families, and families will want to live in the outlying suburbs, and Long Island will always draw those families as a contending suburb. So don't expect to get a house that's listed today for $350K for $200K by waiting it out. That's just not gonna happen. If it WAS gonna happen, we would've seen a much bigger drop already.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:41 AM

280 posts, read 246,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
This is true. And while there still may be a drop to come, it most certainly won't be that significant. Someone who bought a house for $500K at the height of the market isn't going to sell it now for $350K just because that's what it "should" be worth. Unless that person is entirely unable to afford the house, there is really no incentive to move and take that big of a hit. I expect there may be a slight drop off now that the tax credits have ended, but as much as some of us complain about Long Island, NYC will always offer jobs that draw people with families, and families will want to live in the outlying suburbs, and Long Island will always draw those families as a contending suburb. So don't expect to get a house that's listed today for $350K for $200K by waiting it out. That's just not gonna happen. If it WAS gonna happen, we would've seen a much bigger drop already.
This is correct - home prices drop another 10% at most and stay flat for a while (unless rates go through the roof).

Old 05-24-2010, 07:59 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,153,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
50 years ago, definitely... Whether it was white flight, the lure of affordable, beautiful, brand spanking new suburbs, or safety and schools for them to start a family - they came in droves. Now? Not so much.
Thats not really true either Kid.

LI will always be NYCs bedroom and a playground for the Ultra Rich.
As long as the economies are intermingled LI will always remain a compelling buy.

Now as for Suffolk many people work in Melville,Upton, Hauppauge, Ronkonkoma,Riverhead, Nassau or they are Telecommuting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia a few days per week.

The good news is that the infrastructure is built....the bad news is that weve become a victim of our own success.

Time will tell, but unless you start seeing NYCs real estate collapse, LI will generally follow suit.

I wouldnt bet against LIs drawing power.
(NNJs, Westchester or Fairfields either)

Crooks

Old 05-24-2010, 08:00 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,471,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Do you feel that the bubble hasn't burst?
We're seeing the subprime chickens come home to roost, however I doubt the bottom is going to fall out obscenely.

Those Levitts which sold for $4k new are still in the $300K range. My mom and dad bought theirs for $24K in late 69, sold it for $40K in early 74. What's that -- a 60% increase in 5 years? Why not go back to 75 and calculate a value based upon then? There was plenty of land to build upon, lots of new houses going up to compete with the existing inventory. We don't have that now. As buildable land becomes scarce, it will go up in price, provided it's not on a toxic dump.

Prices will correct, but only so much. I only hope I am correct in feeling that they won't return to 1990 prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
This is correct - home prices drop another 10% at most and stay flat for a while (unless rates go through the roof).
To answer the coouple of posts about home prices falling in one breath:

Houses went you to 270% of their value vs. about 28% inflation from 1997-2009, thats unsustainable. Similar things happened during the 80's and we saw a big market crash then. Todays bubble was fueled by government involvement and subsequently the drop is being feathered by government involvement, all at the cost of the taxpayers.

The past year we've seen a rather significant ~20% drop off home prices (remember, home prices need about a total ~40% drop for it to return to inflationary pricing), but that 20% drop has been to the backdrop of stalled foreclosures, 8,000 homebuyer credits, remortgages, and the fed keeping interest artifically low so that ARMs don't adjust. An increase of just 2% in ARMs would relate to estimated thousands of home owners not being able to afford living anymore. We also have a significant shadow inventory on the market, homes that are in foreclosure that aren't coming on the market, but soon will need to be because of constant care/taxes make it an unwieldy item for a bank to hold onto much longer.

As you can see, lots of stuff are stacked to try and maintain home prices. Why? I don't know, especially with the idiots in charge in this current and the previous 2 administrations wanted more americans in a home. Cheaper homes are a lot more affordable the low interest rates and 270% inflated ones. So whats in it for the future. Well as soon as the fed increases rates we're going to see more of a lending glut as interest rises (less demand) and an increase in forclosures (more supply). The 8k credit is gone, so percieved affordability is dropping. Shadow inventory from banks are starting to increase on the market (more supply) further dropping homes. Taxes and assements on LI are still high, so we're also looking at that third demension of home buying on LI.

Basic jist of the story: we haven't even started to see the downfall of real estate.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,153,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
To answer the coouple of posts about home prices falling in one breath:

Houses went you to 270% of their value vs. about 28% inflation from 1997-2009, thats unsustainable. Similar things happened during the 80's and we saw a big market crash then. Todays bubble was fueled by government involvement and subsequently the drop is being feathered by government involvement, all at the cost of the taxpayers.

The past year we've seen a rather significant ~20% drop off home prices (remember, home prices need about a total ~40% drop for it to return to inflationary pricing), but that 20% drop has been to the backdrop of stalled foreclosures, 8,000 homebuyer credits, remortgages, and the fed keeping interest artifically low so that ARMs don't adjust. An increase of just 2% in ARMs would relate to estimated thousands of home owners not being able to afford living anymore. We also have a significant shadow inventory on the market, homes that are in foreclosure that aren't coming on the market, but soon will need to be because of constant care/taxes make it an unwieldy item for a bank to hold onto much longer.

As you can see, lots of stuff are stacked to try and maintain home prices. Why? I don't know, especially with the idiots in charge in this current and the previous 2 administrations wanted more americans in a home. Cheaper homes are a lot more affordable the low interest rates and 270% inflated ones. So whats in it for the future. Well as soon as the fed increases rates we're going to see more of a lending glut as interest rises (less demand) and an increase in forclosures (more supply). The 8k credit is gone, so percieved affordability is dropping. Shadow inventory from banks are starting to increase on the market (more supply) further dropping homes. Taxes and assements on LI are still high, so we're also looking at that third demension of home buying on LI.

Basic jist of the story: we haven't even started to see the downfall of real estate.

Whatever you need to tell yourself.Sounds like wishful thinking to me.
(Anyone remember bubble boy?)

Welcome to the bottom. Its a shame your fear is keeping you on the sidelines.

Are you actively looking to relocate?

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island