Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 01:03 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times

Advertisements

I'll be honest and reveal something i've never talked about publicly before.
Being bullied helped make the obnoxious screwed up person I am today.
I was tortured in school first-fourth grade, and also as a pre-teen in my neighborhood by older kids. My parents were no help, not that I went to them much. I wasn't allowed to fight in school and figured the punishment inflicted by my parents would be worse than getting bullied, so I did nothing. I spent much of my childhood in a seething rage.
Fortunately as I got older and gained some confidence, worked out, played football and basically got big & strong I started to lash out at my attackers and the problem sort of worked itself out. I became good at keeping large groups of people away from me, not just individual attackers (Send a message that everyone gets). I even lashed out at people who didn't deserve it and I carry remorse and guilt about it to this day. I did it to make myself the bully rather than the victim.
I wished every day someone would step up and end this horror for me but nobody did.
Was I a wimp? Did I deserve it? Beats me. Did it hurt my education? Yes. I do know that kids that bully have deep psychosis and are projecting their feelings towards others. I also know I could care less about their problems, I just wanted it to stop.

I turned out "Just fine" too. I earn a good living, have a family, nice house in a crappy school district, new car, motorcycles, etc. I guess the only way to convince someone bullying is a serious matter is to have them grow up and be "Not so fine", huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 01:16 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I'll be honest and reveal something i've never talked about publicly before.
Being bullied helped make the obnoxious screwed up person I am today.
I was tortured in school first-fourth grade, and also as a pre-teen in my neighborhood by older kids. My parents were no help, not that I went to them much. I wasn't allowed to fight in school and figured the punishment inflicted by my parents would be worse than getting bullied, so I did nothing. I spent much of my childhood in a seething rage.
Fortunately as I got older and gained some confidence, worked out, played football and basically got big & strong I started to lash out at my attackers and the problem sort of worked itself out. I became good at keeping large groups of people away from me, not just individual attackers (Send a message that everyone gets). I even lashed out at people who didn't deserve it and I carry remorse and guilt about it to this day. I did it to make myself the bully rather than the victim.
I wished every day someone would step up and end this horror for me but nobody did.
Was I a wimp? Did I deserve it? Beats me. Did it hurt my education? Yes. I do know that kids that bully have deep psychosis and are projecting their feelings towards others. I also know I could care less about their problems, I just wanted it to stop.

I turned out "Just fine" too. I earn a good living, have a family, nice house in a crappy school district, new car, motorcycles, etc. I guess the only way to convince someone bullying is a serious matter is to have them grow up and be "Not so fine", huh?
Wow, is it possible that I'm starting to almost feel like you're a human being..in crappy school district?

I was a very shy kid, but luckily always bigger than everyone else, so people might pick on me a bit, but when I got my hand around their throat they tended to cut it out. I distinctly remember one of the little popular kids in middle school (the worst age for this stuff, kids are awful) picking on my hand me downs on the bus one morning....he had been giving me heat for the first month of school...I pimp-slapped him across the face in front of his little crew ..he cried and he never said a word to me again.

I remember what it was like for certain kids in school...the kid on my football team with the big lips, the kid in my 5th grade class who looked like Martin from the Simpsons...a handful of other kids for whom every day going to school must have been a living hell. Some teachers stepped in, others just let it go.

In the end, people are mean. I think school should be a sanctuary, so as much as they admin can do to stop the nonsense, they should.

Otherwise you might have people growing up buying pit bulls to make up for their inadequacies.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:31 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times
Bullying starts from the parents. It's how you raise your kids. If you teach your kids values, ideals, and the ability to respect others, there normally aren't big issues. If you spoil your kids, drown them with a sense of entitlement, and treat others poorly as an adult, well, that will translate quickly to your kid.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:49 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Actually, not all who are bullied "turn out fine". Look at the Columbine shooters. Look at the teen suicide rate, almost 100% attributable to bullying. Many of the ones who don't kill themselves drop out of school to get away from it, affecting their entire future. Now it's gone past stealing lunches and shoving in the halls, to online and Facebook harassment where even going home from school doesn't give relief. This is a serious problem and while are schools are suspencing kids for wearing american flag T-shirts, they turn a blind eye to the unending physical and verbal harassment that defines like for many of our teens.
Yep. If Alexis Pilkington's case doesn't demonstrate that, I don't know what does. One teen suicide over stupidity like cyberbulling is one too many, and she wasn't the first, nor is it likely that she'll be the last.

My friend's kid is dealing with that on Facebook as the subject of a malicious group, and neither the school nor Facebook has done anything about it, never mind that the mother of the kid who created the group is singing "not MY little angel." It's to the point where my friend is getting ready to lawyer up.

Frankly, any parent who lets their kid bully should be held accountable for it. Start taking the parents to the cleaners and you'll see how fast it changes. But also, the schools and the third-parties such as Facebook, should also step up. The group had been reported to Facebook repeatedly, as I got all of my friends to report it, and as far as I know Facebook hasn't taken care of it. It's ludicrous, because the things that are written there are foul and abusive. It's very obviously a hate group. Never mind that putting something on the internet about someone is considered "publishing," and is subject to the laws of libel and slander.

And finally, it's no secret that kids who are bullied run a high risk of growing up to be abusive adults. Today's kids who are cyberbullied grow up to be tomorrow's cyberstalkers and harassers.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Oh no, a can!!
And if you threw a can at someone, as an adult you can be charged for it. But never mind that. Imagine someone doing that to your kid and cutting your kid's head open. I'm guessing you'd be the first to sue.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:08 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Yep. If Alexis Pilkington's case doesn't demonstrate that, I don't know what does. One teen suicide over stupidity like cyberbulling is one too many, and she wasn't the first, nor is it likely that she'll be the last.

My friend's kid is dealing with that on Facebook as the subject of a malicious group, and neither the school nor Facebook has done anything about it, never mind that the mother of the kid who created the group is singing "not MY little angel." It's to the point where my friend is getting ready to lawyer up.

Frankly, any parent who lets their kid bully should be held accountable for it. Start taking the parents to the cleaners and you'll see how fast it changes. But also, the schools and the third-parties such as Facebook, should also step up. The group had been reported to Facebook repeatedly, as I got all of my friends to report it, and as far as I know Facebook hasn't taken care of it. It's ludicrous, because the things that are written there are foul and abusive. It's very obviously a hate group. Never mind that putting something on the internet about someone is considered "publishing," and is subject to the laws of libel and slander.

And finally, it's no secret that kids who are bullied run a high risk of growing up to be abusive adults. Today's kids who are cyberbullied grow up to be tomorrow's cyberstalkers and harassers.

I beat my kids twice a day, 3 on their birthdays.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:09 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
And if you threw a can at someone, as an adult you can be charged for it. But never mind that. Imagine someone doing that to your kid and cutting your kid's head open. I'm guessing you'd be the first to sue.
Yup because I always jump to suing people. I can't handle my own problems

Old 05-13-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I used to work with a Gen-xer who complained her boss to Daddy and one day Daddy showed up at the office for a pow-wow with the boss. Didn't even call first. Jaws dropped all over the office. I would've disowned my parents for that, but oh wait - mine wouldn't have done it.
Considering Gen-Xers are in their 30s and 40s, why do I doubt this story?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:17 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Quote:

Your friend is going to get lawyered up to protect her poor little darling from mean, vicious, nasty people that are hurting her ego...booo hooo. Great way to teach her how to deal with adversity. Wait until she goes to work and faces some real harrassment. Generation Z in the making...Z for zeros.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Yup because I always jump to suing people. I can't handle my own problems
Hey, don't let your past as a victim of bullying affect your sense of compassion, now. In fact, judging from your tender responses here, I'm guessing that you merely teased, not bullied. As others have said, there is a difference.

At any rate, let's hope it never happens. Your kids would probably benefit from a bit of parental intervention when they need to go to the ER for stitches because some punk with parents who take your attitude of letting kids fend for themselves threw a can of soda at their heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island