Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:41 PM

852 posts, read 2,018,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
I just did in my above post Dead, and used Central Islip as an example.
So, you believe the Central Islip School District is analogous to East Williston? What are the key similarities?

You are suggesting that Central Islip had it's pay frozen (which is different from what the other person was advocating - a pay cut). Nevertheless, after their pay freeze, their performance stayed the same? According to what measures?

Based upon the similarities between the two districts, and the fact that Central Islip so no change in its performance, you suggest freezing pay in East Williston also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 05:18 PM

939 posts, read 2,682,084 times
The thing is, many LI'ers are brainwashed into thinking that not passing yearly tax increases for their school budgets means that their homes will be worth nothing. They have nobody to blame but themselves. The whole thing is so pathetic that it is comedic. However, you will notice that someone always will say , "it's a good thing! We have to retain good teachers, yada , yada , yada,,,,etc.. It's still basically a good 'ole boys network. If Joe Blow from somewhere out West applied for a vacant teaching position, he'd never get it. Someones sister who knew someones brother who was dating their second cousin would get the job first

Quote:
There were two teachers in Central Islip alone that made over $200,000. It was a thread on here about a year ago. Yes, it takes decades to get that high, but the fact that this level of income is attainable is unbelievable.

Central Islip, East Islip school district wages posted

Old 02-05-2011, 06:32 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,984 times
And that justifies a salary of about $1000.00 per day that he shows up?

as an administrator, he works more days than an academic teacher.

160k for someone to run the PE department of a school with six PE teachers is kind of overkill

usually the AD runs the PE dept of all of the schools, also the scheduling and transportation needs of all of the teams involved in Sports.

Last edited by Fastrudy; 02-05-2011 at 06:41 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 06:37 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
The thing is, many LI'ers are brainwashed into thinking that not passing yearly tax increases for their school budgets means that their homes will be worth nothing. They have nobody to blame but themselves. The whole thing is so pathetic that it is comedic. However, you will notice that someone always will say , "it's a good thing! We have to retain good teachers, yada , yada , yada,,,,etc.. It's still basically a good 'ole boys network. If Joe Blow from somewhere out West applied for a vacant teaching position, he'd never get it. Someones sister who knew someones brother who was dating their second cousin would get the job first
Sadly I am inclined to agree with you.

Even if Joe Blow from out West was an outstanding teacher with exceptional credentials.

That good old boys' network is nothing, however, compared to the "qualified School Superintendants are so RARE they must be compensated like rock stars" good old boys' network. Like bad government, the fish rots from the head.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:42 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
So, you believe the Central Islip School District is analogous to East Williston? What are the key similarities?

You are suggesting that Central Islip had it's pay frozen (which is different from what the other person was advocating - a pay cut). Nevertheless, after their pay freeze, their performance stayed the same? According to what measures?

Based upon the similarities between the two districts, and the fact that Central Islip so no change in its performance, you suggest freezing pay in East Williston also?
No, what you asked for was a response to a post where I talked about not getting value for our tax dollars. So, I provided an example, Central Islip, where the community is getting fleeced, value wise, by the school district. However, I don't believe how much we spend in a school is a strong predicting variable when it comes to schools. Therefore, if expenditures isn't a strong factor, then their is no point in overpaying teachers.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:20 PM

852 posts, read 2,018,111 times
Default Thanks - that's clearer.

Quote:
No, what you asked for was a response to a post where I talked about not getting value for our tax dollars. So, I provided an example, Central Islip, where the community is getting fleeced, value wise, by the school district. However, I don't believe how much we spend in a school is a strong predicting variable when it comes to schools. Therefore, if expenditures isn't a strong factor, then their is no point in overpaying teachers.
I didn't ask for an example of a community being fleeced. I asked for an example of a similar district that lowered pay without a measurable decline in performance.

I know you wouldn't just jump to conclusions that performance and compensation aren't linked. And whereas we don't base policy on divinations, I was hoping you'd share what support you have for that fact - that "how much we spend" is not a "strong predicting variable" of performance.

That's all I'm asking. It would help clear up quite a bit.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:56 AM

116 posts, read 366,335 times
Quote:
However, I don't believe how much we spend in a school is a strong predicting variable when it comes to schools. Therefore, if expenditures isn't a strong factor, then their is no point in overpaying teachers.
Really? This is exactly what Long Island is! The districts with the highest taxes have the best schools!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Really? This is exactly what Long Island is! The districts with the highest taxes have the best schools!
Keep telling yourself that, neophyte teachers' union spokesperson.

78 Meeting House Ln AMAGANSET
ML#: 2349209
$4,495,000 Asking Price
Annual Taxes: $6,600

140 Princeton St HEMPSTEAD
ML#: 2315868
$94,500 Asking Price
Annual Taxes: $8,934

Old 02-06-2011, 12:16 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times
Quote:
No the districts with the highest taxes have weak boards and poor fiscal management...you know, for the kids.

Crooks

Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 PM

400 posts, read 761,996 times
Quote:

Sometimes I really wonder how smart these teachers actually are...... During 1999, times were good for us private sector employees.... Actually things were amazing.. Salaries were great, perks were amazing, and so on and so on... When the bubble went burst, I knew the end of all those great things was coming... and sure enough it did... But not once did I hear anyone complain about it...... They were just thankful that they still had a job, even when their salary was frozen, then cut... etc etc....

They are all on drugs..they cant see outside the uphoria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island