Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 PM

964 posts, read 2,461,681 times

Advertisements

It IS significant for 2 reasons:

1. The results are only from media reported incidents for the most part. Imagine what else is out there.

2. It is very relevant for people to know which breeds of dogs behave themselves and which breeds are much more likely to snap and maul a kid.

I'm sorry, but people want to know this kind of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 03:45 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
It IS significant for 2 reasons:

1. The results are only from media reported incidents for the most part. Imagine what else is out there.

2. It is very relevant for people to know which breeds of dogs behave themselves and which breeds are much more likely to snap and maul a kid.

I'm sorry, but people want to know this kind of information.
1- We don't know what else is out there, so it would be uneducated to make assumpitons

2- If it is a small percentage of the breed that displays the behavior, then it is unfair to make a statement that the BREED is more likely to snap and maul somebody. Especially when the breed in question has around the same temperament as a golden retriever. ATTS - American Temperament Test Society, Inc. - Home

Old 05-12-2010, 04:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's not that they WILL, it's that they are capable of it. If a cocker spaniel bites a little kid, he's not going to die and most likely not going to be permanently scarred..

If a pit bull does, he's going to be in a lot of trouble.

..and if it were my kid, I wouldn't sleep until that owner was taken care of, and I don't mean by the cops.

Yeah, I know, not your dog.

Just like your kid would never cheat on a test.

Everybody is a perfect dog raiser, it's those OTHER people that you shouldn't trust.

Sorry pal, if you have a pit bull, I don't trust you..you already have a strike against you for poor judgement.
What are you talking about?

"IF it were my kid ... blah blah blah"

Remember, the dog did not hurt anyone at all before you go off on a tear.

She was shot in cold blood.

We need more details on this story and about the dog's history in the neighborhood.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
Anything that can be carried in a hand bag.
Anything that looks like a rat with a perm.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Unless you are a corrections officer trying to keep an inmate in line, I see no need for these killer dogs. Ridiculous.

Let's look at a very detailed study:

Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006). The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.
According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question.

-------------------------

Sound like cute cuddly breeds to me....
Note the study is about "maimings, life threatening and/or fatal attacks."

This does not automatically mean that these BREEDS are the most likely to attack anyone. It just means they can do the most harm. That should be obvious without a study, by the way.

A lot of cute, cuddly dogs bite too. And they can do harm. I know someone who was bitten in the face by a dachshund and had to get plastic surgery. NO, it was not life threatening or near fatal, but it still HURT and needed a lot of advanced medical treatment.

I would say the ankle yappers are more inclined to bite than the bigger dogs because people tend to think their misbehavior is "cute" and do not discipline them like large breed owners would. (That is also why little dogs tend to be badly housebroken compared to larger ones ... the mess is smaller ... just a niblet of poop or a sprinkle of pee and weak people put up with it.)

Old 05-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Guys...back off.

Dman has a good point.The question really should be why do we need vicious breed dogs in our homes?That tiny pocket of E Setauket has always been rough (drugs crime etc). I doubt this happened in a vacuum.Chances are the town and police did nothing and this guy took matters in his own hands.

Im sure it wasnt an isolated incident with this dog and from the look of its ears the owner wasnt going for kid friendly.

Its a different LI kids.

Crooks
We don't know if the owner cropped her ears or he got her that way.

If you are assuming she was involved in dog fighting, we also don't know if she was to be used as a bait dog for a fighting dog to practice on.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:52 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What are you talking about?

"IF it were my kid ... blah blah blah"

Remember, the dog did not hurt anyone at all before you go off on a tear.

She was shot in cold blood.

We need more details on this story and about the dog's history in the neighborhood.

reread. It was a hypothetical situation, not directly talking about the OP.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:53 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,404,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
In a word....Petey.
LOL...I forgot petey was PB

Old 05-12-2010, 04:54 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
So now dman gets to tell everyone what dogs they should and should not keep. Priceless.
I'm not surprised you would judge a dog based on biased, unsupported "Beliefs". Judging by the nature of your previous posts and all.
And of course, it must have been a cop who shot the poor thing, too.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
reread. It was a hypothetical situation, not directly talking about the OP.
I thought you were talking about the actual news story ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island