Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 05:37 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Well, try the salaries and benefits of private school teachers on LI on for size.

THEY get people to work for them and parents even pay TUITION above and beyond their property taxes for the privilege of sending their kids to private school.
This is not comparing Apples to Apples.
Remember, in a private school, if a kid is excessively disruptive to an extent where the class suffers, that student can be sent out of the school.
That student (and there are many of them, of course) then gets sent to the Public school where the "overpaid" teacher has to contend with them, making their jobs tougher than the teacher in the private school who was allowed have that kid taken out of the classroom.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyorker94 View Post
Private School teachers care more about pleasing their bosses (which means pleasing the parents) than the care of the student. Also, private school teachers are screwed if their school goes under, but that's besides the point.
And if we are going to stereotype people, we can say public school teachers only care about pleasing their unions.

Quote:
And again, I don't know where you live but in my town the public schools are better than the private schools. The only problems I have with my school district is the disciplinary department. Nothing to do with the teachers.
Most people where I live use the public schools too. There are actually only a few areas on LI where people feel compelled not to use the public schools. Why is that the case? Since the teachers in all districts, even the bad ones, are beneficiaries of the union's largesse and the taxpayer's digging ever deeper, why is there even one bad school district on LI if your "theory" ... paying excessively for teaching staff equals great education ... is correct?

Quote:
And I believe you have a lot to learn, if you think teachers aren't having just as much of a problem financially than everyone else you are sadly mistaken. I know so many teachers facing losing their homes and I know of quite a few districts cutting programs (and therefore teachers.)
This is the way it is. Taxpayers who work in the private sector CANNOT AFFORD to have their property taxes continually double, triple and quadruple in order to provide dream benefits and 2 raises a year for public school teachers.

How much property taxes are you willing to pay?

How long have you owned your house? If not very long, get back to us in 5 years when your current property taxes have DOUBLED and your income has not kept pace in the least with that.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
This is not comparing Apples to Apples.
Remember, in a private school, if a kid is excessively disruptive to an extent where the class suffers, that student can be sent out of the school.
That student (and there are many of them, of course) then gets sent to the Public school where the "overpaid" teacher has to contend with them, making their jobs tougher than the teacher in the private school who was allowed have that kid taken out of the classroom.
Oh come on! Public school teachers get rid of disruptive kids too. They will label them emotionally disturbed and off they go on the short bus to the "looney bins" like BOCES day school or, if they really don't want to ever see the kid darken the door of the public school again, to the "boarding schools for emotionally disturbed" in upstate NY (tuition courtesy of the school district's TAXPAYERS).

Old 05-17-2010, 05:47 PM

71 posts, read 213,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
And if we are going to stereotype people, we can say public school teachers only care about pleasing their unions.

Most people where I live use the public schools too. There are actually only a few areas on LI where people feel compelled not to use the public schools. Why is that the case? Since the teachers in all districts, even the bad ones, are beneficiaries of the union's largesse and the taxpayer's digging ever deeper, why is there even one bad school district on LI if your "theory" ... paying excessively for teaching staff equals great education ... is correct?

This is the way it is. Taxpayers who work in the private sector CANNOT AFFORD to have their property taxes continually double, triple and quadruple in order to provide dream benefits and 2 raises a year for public school teachers.

How much property taxes are you willing to pay?

How long have you owned your house? If not very long, get back to us in 5 years when your current property taxes have DOUBLED and your income has not kept pace in the least with that.
You are aware teachers are taxpayers too, right?

And I am not saying higher taxes equal greater teachers, but I am saying you're more likely to find more passionate teachers in public schools. I cannot tell you how long the teachers in my town went without a union contract. So, please, try a new "theory" about who they are trying to please.

Lastly, I've owned my house since '89 and I cannot comment on how my property tax will change as my family an I are uprooting to Boca. Although, I will say I'm praying to have teachers down there as good as they've been here.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:46 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Quote:
You are aware teachers are taxpayers too, right?

And I am not saying higher taxes equal greater teachers, but I am saying you're more likely to find more passionate teachers in public schools. I cannot tell you how long the teachers in my town went without a union contract. So, please, try a new "theory" about who they are trying to please.

Lastly, I've owned my house since '89 and I cannot comment on how my property tax will change as my family an I are uprooting to Boca. Although, I will say I'm praying to have teachers down there as good as they've been here.
If the teachers are as good in Boca Raton as they are on LI, it would really make one question what we get for the extra tax money up here. Florida pays teachers significantly less than LI does.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
If the teachers are as good in Boca Raton as they are on LI, it would really make one question what we get for the extra tax money up here. Florida pays teachers significantly less than LI does.
Florida schools are known for being quite lousy.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 PM

71 posts, read 213,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Florida schools are known for being quite lousy.
Indeed, I'm actually looking into private schools there just for that reason... although Boca is said to be one of the better school zones. But, that's besides the point.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Quote:
I'm curious as to how many of you know how teachers are paid.

They all start with a base salary, and if THEY opt to take more classes and invest time in furthering their knowledge, their pay checks are raised as they have more credits.

Seems pretty fair to me.

I'm sure this would not even be a discussion if it were Long Island doctors. Dentists are paid the same as heart surgeons.

My bottom line is, I find this whole thing just selfish.

If teachers have it so good go back to school and become one!
SeeThroughNY > Home

Public employee salaries and union contracts are public record.

And I can't really speak for this whole thread because I haven't read all of it, but no one cares what the teachers are making per se, they just care what it is costing them in taxes.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
And I can't really speak for this whole thread because I haven't read all of it, but no one cares what the teachers are making per se, they just care what it is costing them in taxes.
I also detect a tinge of jealousy.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:59 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Indeed, I'm actually looking into private schools there just for that reason... although Boca is said to be one of the better school zones. But, that's besides the point.
The schools in Boca Raton and overall in Palm beach County are fairly decent and I would say schools in Broward are ok as well (though a bit better in Palm Beach). Those are also the most expensive areas of the state, and once you get out of those counties the quality of the schools drops off immensely, and this goes for generally middle class areas as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island