Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 04:28 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,512,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r5020 View Post
That's a good point to bring up. I was having a discussion recently with a coworker and they thought the administrators had summers off
Call in July and see if you can get someone one the phone.....

Old 05-21-2010, 04:37 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,512,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Stop building these strawman arguments!

No one is saying that teachers aren't important. No one is saying that they don't deserve fair compensation.

However, the MEDIAN salary in Nassau county...for a HOUSEHOLD...is between 80-85k. The SINGLE salaries of most those teachers are dwarfing the combined income of most Nassau county residents. Those are the same residents paying the insane taxes to support this.

There simply is no logical coherent defense for this kind of compensation.
Median household and salarys does not mean a thing. What % are elderly drawing little to no salary but are worth $1,000,000's. Alot. then you have small business owners who draw small salaries but own big, profitable businesses. Then you have people who are flush with cash but report little.

Really not a fair comparison is all I saying.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:41 AM

852 posts, read 2,013,063 times
Default I voted yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
http://www.lischooltax.com/08-9TS.pdf

For all the idiots that voted yes!
I like my property values.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:43 AM

97 posts, read 393,750 times
Agreed

Old 05-21-2010, 06:45 AM

50 posts, read 102,031 times
I'm in my 30's but it tends to bother me when people complain about senior citizens for voting budgets down. Not all senior citizens have big savings in the bank. A lot of them are on fixed incomes. Yet every year when the school budgets pass, they're expected to afford a little bit more each month. Are they supposed to live by candlelight and eat cat food so that schools can have artificial turf on their football fields and a plasma tv in every classroom (such as my home district)?

I don't have an issue with the teachers salaries as much as how those salaries are paid for. It's like we expect every resident's wallet to be a bottomless pit.

Some say "Well then people should go back to school and get a better job." True, but that's not an option for everyone. And how well could a society work if only the people at the top can afford to support themselves?

Something needs to change. Otherwise the brick wall is coming.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:08 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,035,142 times
Quote:
Stop building these strawman arguments!

No one is saying that teachers aren't important. No one is saying that they don't deserve fair compensation.

However, the MEDIAN salary in Nassau county...for a HOUSEHOLD...is between 80-85k. The SINGLE salaries of most those teachers are dwarfing the combined income of most Nassau county residents. Those are the same residents paying the insane taxes to support this.

There simply is no logical coherent defense for this kind of compensation.

Where are you pulling these numbers from?
The US Census Bureau site states the Median household income for nassau county was $95,000 in 2008.

Nassau County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

it also states that only 35% of adults in Nassau County have a Bachelor's degree or higher. You have to count education in determining what is a fair salary in relation to other residents.
What I'd like to see and what would be more relevan t to this discussion is the median income of residents with Master's Degrees or higher. I'd bet that teachers would be way at the bottom end of that curve.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:16 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,952,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Where are you pulling these numbers from?
The US Census Bureau site states the Median household income for nassau county was $95,000 in 2008.

Nassau County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

it also states that only 35% of adults in Nassau County have a Bachelor's degree or higher. You have to count education in determining what is a fair salary in relation to other residents.
What I'd like to see and what would be more relevan t to this discussion is the median income of residents with Master's Degrees or higher. I'd bet that teachers would be way at the bottom end of that curve.
You have to remember that a lot of the people here feel that the census is out to kill us all if we fill it out. People are refusing to mail it back because Big Brother will come and rape us.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 AM

659 posts, read 2,510,404 times
Quote:
According to Forbes.com, Nassau's median household income in 2008 was 85,000. It's probably less now.

Teachers are "laid off" all over? You're joking right. Teachers are not "at will" employees and experience nothing like the reduction in force (RIF) that we see in the private sector. Try again.
Actually there was an article in yesterday's New York Times that addressed the nationwide (and specifically NY) mass layoffs of teachers and lack of teaching jobs due to mass hiring freezes. They said that it is the worst market for teaching since the Great Depression (even the 1970's recession was not this bad for teachers.) As an aside, I know at least 3 LI tenured teachers (I am sure there are many more) that got laid off due to job cuts...yes tenure doesn't mean you always keep your job. Even though their budgets passed, they are still laid off (because the budget needed to be seriously cut to pass).

You should read the article. It completely contradicts your argument and discusses quite a bit about NYC schools and LI schools as well as other states. Teaching layoffs are starting to mimic the private sector now.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:32 AM

280 posts, read 246,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
Teaching layoffs are starting to mimic the private sector now.
This is a joke, right? If you think teaching layoffs are anywhere near to the level of those of the private sector (let's forget about pay cuts for the moment, which are rampant in the private sector), it's time to lay off the pipe.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:33 AM

280 posts, read 246,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
You have to remember that a lot of the people here feel that the census is out to kill us all if we fill it out. People are refusing to mail it back because Big Brother will come and rape us.
Huh? I've been lurking for about 2 months now, I haven't seen anyone post about being hesitant to fill out the census for reasons other than the data being available elsewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island