Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 06:37 PM

280 posts, read 247,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I truly think there are still union contracts on Long Island that mandate retiree and dependent health and dental insurance that is separate from and not affiliated with Medicare at all. I will look at the contracts online and report what I find, but that will not be until tomorrow.
Medicare doesn't offer dental, so that is quite possible.

However, with the "coordination of benefits" rules that exist within the industry, Medicare is always the primary payer. The separate retiree health insurance is either for those teachers who are retired and not yet 65, or supplemental insurance for those teachers who are 65. Trust me, all retired Long Island teachers 65 or older have Medicare.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:51 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,592 times
Quote:

They can simply stop all the pensions of the NON-RETIRED right where they are NOW and whatever it's worth that is what they will get when they are retired PLUS they will get their own savings plus employer contributions in their 401k or equivalent (403b for teachers) that starts with the new contract.
I think that this would be rather unfair for those SOON to retire, as for the last 20-30 years of working for the state you have been paying into a pension, and promised a certian benefit. How much can they earn with a 401k in a few years?

I could have been looking in the wrong place, but from what I can see the NYS pension fund is solvent for the next few decades.

Where the health insurance premiums comes from is another story.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:53 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post

You then have the police union, which used a bad law and a terrible county executive to skyrocket their pay and benefits within the last 15 years -- and the teachers union was smart enough to use this in their negotiations.
Im not familiar with LI politics from before I moved out here (6 years)
out of my own interest, what law, county, county exec?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:32 PM

577 posts, read 979,199 times
RE:

Wow, teachers defending their bloated salaries. Can any one of them explain why a teacher, who works 75% of what a normal FT employee does make about 50% more then the islands average income

Excellent post. Teachers work about 160 days per year (not all full days) and many get 100K + with top of the line benefits for themselves and their families....all on the taxpayers dimes!

Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,373 times
Default Silly Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Firstly, talking about sticking a scrotal sack into your mouth is something you can do on your own time please. I believe there are forum rules about doing that.

Secondly, inflation has gone up the whooping 23% in 10 years. Teachers making 6 figure salaries has tripled (+300%). So your math is wrong.

Third, we're not shilling for millionaires. We're stumping for those people who are sick of their taxes going up. If you think the teachers union and the fear mongering of the educational system saying "Well we can't have sports, art, or lunches if you don't vote up our 8% increase" isn't fear mongering and playing the general population for shills, your out of your mind.
1) Why would inflation be linked to teacher salaries. Shouldn't it be linked to community wealth? Overall community wealth is increasing (if you use averages - Republicans would rather you use medians or modes).

2) You ARE shilling for millionaires. If you argue to reduce local expenditures when millionaires are earning more, then you are doing their busy work. You are making villains of teachers and unions, two institutions that help work the working-class UP.

3) If you want your taxes to stop rising, then tax the people with the money.

4) If you respond by saying, "But the millionaires will leave and I won't be paid to cut their lawn anymore!" then let them leave New York for Georgia where taxes are lower. They won't leave. YOu know why? Because the schools are wretched!

Very smart!

Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I think that this would be rather unfair for those SOON to retire, as for the last 20-30 years of working for the state you have been paying into a pension, and promised a certian benefit. How much can they earn with a 401k in a few years?

I could have been looking in the wrong place, but from what I can see the NYS pension fund is solvent for the next few decades.

Where the health insurance premiums comes from is another story.
They will still have that pension they earned but it will no longer continue to be funded and they will get what is there, plus for the next couple of years they will have money saved in their 403b.

Actually the soon to be retired will get a heck of a lot more than the "to be retired in the distant future" will under my plan.

It is "solvent" meaning it is not going to collapse anytime soon AS LONG AS THE TAXPAYERS KEEP FEEDING IT BILLIONS OF DOLLARS. That's all that means.

Solvent does not mean that it is good to go for the next few decades and the taxpayers do not have to put anymore money in it for all those years.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Im not familiar with LI politics from before I moved out here (6 years)
out of my own interest, what law, county, county exec?
Taylor Law (not sure but likely)
Nassau
Gulotta

Old 05-24-2010, 11:14 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times
Quote:
They will still have that pension they earned but it will no longer continue to be funded and they will get what is there, plus for the next couple of years they will have money saved in their 403b.

Actually the soon to be retired will get a heck of a lot more than the "to be retired in the distant future" will under my plan.

It is "solvent" meaning it is not going to collapse anytime soon AS LONG AS THE TAXPAYERS KEEP FEEDING IT BILLIONS OF DOLLARS. That's all that means.

Solvent does not mean that it is good to go for the next few decades and the taxpayers do not have to put anymore money in it for all those years.
If local govt's had not taken a break from contributing the proper amounts when the market was giving great returns, the shortfall we see today would probably not be there. They took that money and spent it on things that would get them re-elected instead of putting it where it belonged.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
If local govt's had not taken a break from contributing the proper amounts when the market was giving great returns, the shortfall we see today would probably not be there. They took that money and spent it on things that would get them re-elected instead of putting it where it belonged.
Remember it's NOT local governments that mostly affect our property taxes.

It's school districts that get the lion's share of the money.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:46 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times
Quote:
Remember it's NOT local governments that mostly affect our property taxes.

It's school districts that get the lion's share of the money.
I consider public schools an entity of the govt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island