Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 06:44 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Let's compare public vs. private school TEACHER salaries, benefits and pensions on Long Island.
Indeed! I don't agree with the assessment at all, but according to this poll, members of this forum favor LI's private schools over public by a margin of more than 3:1.....yet private school compensation is significantly below the standard levels at public districts....so what gives? How on earth can you say on one hand that the education at a private school is so far superior that it's worth dropping up to $30k a year, yet on the other claim that public education would be significantly "hurt" by cutting salary and benefits......which would essentially put them on par with the private school levels?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:12 PM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times
It's not about the teachers or their compensation, it's about the quality of the students going to those schools.

Privates/parochials can take the cream of the crop and kick out any students with bad behavior or failing grades. Publics can't do that - they have to educate everyone in their district according to law.

And that's why parents who can afford it, leave for the private schools or parochials - they don't want their little angels being in the company of the average population on LI. If you've got a growing student body of minorities, you'll see the old white-flight start taking hold.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
... does that study apply specifically to Long Island or the nation as a whole? Going by the title, I'd assume the latter in which case, those statements might be irrelevant in the context of this discussion.

The study was for the nation as a whole; but, it is a well known secret among the Long Island educational fraternity that the majority of the highly-paid teachers teaching in the gov't schools on Long Island come from the bottom-third of their high school graduating class.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The study was for the nation as a whole; but, it is a well known secret among the Long Island educational fraternity that the majority of the highly-paid teachers teaching in the gov't schools on Long Island come from the bottom-third of their high school graduating class.
Don't believe it, I'd like to see some actual proof of that statement, of which there isn't any obviously. It's just someone's opinion - and one that I've never heard before - unless they were talking about gym teachers, who seem to be the ones getting picked on in that regard!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:25 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
It's not about the teachers or their compensation, it's about the quality of the students going to those schools.

Privates/parochials can take the cream of the crop and kick out any students with bad behavior or failing grades. Publics can't do that - they have to educate everyone in their district according to law.

And that's why parents who can afford it, leave for the private schools or parochials - they don't want their little angels being in the company of the average population on LI. If you've got a growing student body of minorities, you'll see the old white-flight start taking hold.
I don't disagree about the reasons people want their kids in private schools and the surprisingly still extant phenomenon of white flight....but at the same time, I can't possibly fathom that people would be willing to pay that kind of money if they didn't think their little darlings were being taught by the best of the best.....so how is it possible that those "cream of the crop" schools can pay their teachers less money and provide less benefits while getting the same (or better - allegedly) results? Certainly districts like Jericho or Cold Spring Harbor don't have any issues with the "quality" of their students and their staffs are still compensated at a much higher rate than private schools.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I don't disagree about the reasons people want their kids in private schools and the surprisingly still extant phenomenon of white flight....but at the same time, I can't possibly fathom that people would be willing to pay that kind of money if they didn't think their little darlings were being taught by the best of the best.....so how is it possible that those "cream of the crop" schools can pay their teachers less money and provide less benefits while getting the same (or better - allegedly) results? Certainly districts like Jericho or Cold Spring Harbor don't have any issues with the "quality" of their students and their staffs are still compensated at a much higher rate than private schools.

Because those schools don't get any state aid, except for the items that the publics have to provide for them by law. They run on tuition, which obviously doesn't cover enough to pay anyone a high salary. They might be getting better results ( are they even accountable? ha!) because, as I said, they don't have the distractions in the classrooms of kids who disrupt the class, are failing or don't know English! Makes it much easier to teach.

Well, the Gold Coast public districts pay a lot because they have a reputation to uphold dear! Believe me, some of them don't provide any better education than their neighbors off the coast! But with a rich population and few problems (oh, they do have their drugs and alchohol issues swept under the rug) they "look" better on paper.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:43 PM

156 posts, read 448,934 times
Quote:

It is shameful to post something like this. You are making sweeping generalizations about other peoples' intelligence without having a single fact to back it up. I am not even a Long Island teacher, and I take offense to this. On my team (in a NYC public school), the teachers graduated from Johns Hopkins, Fordham, Manhattan and Albany, not exactly what you would call bottom of the barrel schools. I guess according to your rational we were all just lucky to get in.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:35 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Quote:
What a ridiculous statement!
This statement is "ludicrous and asinine!"

The students who graduate from the bottom third of their HS classes for the most part do not even attend 4 year colleges! How in the world do they then get not only a Bachelor's Degree, but then get Master's degrees as well. LI is not full of teachers who have degrees from the University of Phoenix or other mail order or online colleges.

You should apologize to all the teachers not only on this Board, but to those who taught you & your children as well. Your lack of respect for teachers - the people who do work hard (despite what some posters here think) to teach your children, to help your children, to care about your children - is irresponsible.

Do you tell your kids that their teachers are dummies? What a nice thing to teach them - DISrespect!

Some teacher must have really done a number on you for you be so hostile to them.

Or is it a bad case of Success Envy?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:40 PM

280 posts, read 247,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
What a ridiculous statement!
This statement is "ludicrous and asinine!"

The students who graduate from the bottom third of their HS classes for the most part do not even attend 4 year colleges! How in the world do they then get not only a Bachelor's Degree, but then get Master's degrees as well. LI is not full of teachers who have degrees from the University of Phoenix or other mail order or online colleges.

You should apologize to all the teachers not only on this Board, but to those who taught you & your children as well. Your lack of respect for teachers - the people who do work hard (despite what some posters here think) to teach your children, to help your children, to care about your children - is irresponsible.

Do you tell your kids that their teachers are dummies? What a nice thing to teach them - DISrespect!

Some teacher must have really done a number on you for you be so hostile to them.

Or is it a bad case of Success Envy?
I agree, its one thing to question compensation levels but its quite another to bash an entire profession by stating they are all the low performers in high school. Not cool

Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:

Thats simply an absurd statement. We can have an honest debate on whether or not teachers are overpaid or not, but throwing in that just takes the honesty right out of the debate. How easy do you think it is to get a Master's degree? Do you honestly think those who are graduating in the bottom 1/3 or bottom 1/2 of their graduating class are the ones walking around with masters degrees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island