Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:11 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times

Advertisements

I haven't explore LI much as it's rather hard to get to from Mass. But I figure I'll take the ferry over from CT and come explore this summer. The Hampton's get all the praise so I was thinking someplace a little more low key yet beautiful. From what I've in pictures Montauk looks gorgeous. Would love to hear what others have to say about it for those who have been.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 04:36 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Go to block island too!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:58 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Been a while but it can be costly but very nice. Unless you're a kid that likes to party, avoid heading west by Dune Rd (westhampton beach through east quogue areas and even parts of south hampton. Traffic is ridiculous.) On north fork though just west of Orient, you have many wineries that the do the tours and tasting. Alot more than on the south fork.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:27 PM

87 posts, read 259,891 times
Montauk is a Beautiful place!!! But costly in season, a room will cost you almost 300 a night.Block Island is also great but costly as well. That's Summer!!! My daughter said she was going to write a book, How to do Block Island on $500 a day. I always sailed there so we had a place to sleep. It was great as getting there is half the fun.
But go and enjoy!!!!!

Old 05-14-2010, 05:58 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
The Hamptons and Montauk are great from October to April. I love it there in November/December.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:12 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I haven't explore LI much as it's rather hard to get to from Mass. But I figure I'll take the ferry over from CT and come explore this summer. The Hampton's get all the praise so I was thinking someplace a little more low key yet beautiful. From what I've in pictures Montauk looks gorgeous. Would love to hear what others have to say about it for those who have been.
Yes Montauk can be a bit pricey but it's the anti-Hamptons in personality. No uppity attitude. Just real people , a wonderful and inviting village. One of the few places on eastern Long Island where you can park your car in the street and walk to the beach. Go there. You will love it.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
A suggestion if you're coming via ferry:

Orient to Greenport, daytrip, lunch at Claudios and the take the ferry over to Shelter Island.
On Shelter Island check out the Ram's Head Inn for a night or two. Next day take the south ferry over to North Haven and then casually work your way east to Montauk.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:18 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
A suggestion if you're coming via ferry:

Orient to Greenport, daytrip, lunch at Claudios and the take the ferry over to Shelter Island.
On Shelter Island check out the Ram's Head Inn for a night or two. Next day take the south ferry over to North Haven and then casually work your way east to Montauk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Yes Montauk can be a bit pricey but it's the anti-Hamptons in personality. No uppity attitude. Just real people , a wonderful and inviting village. One of the few places on eastern Long Island where you can park your car in the street and walk to the beach. Go there. You will love it.
Thank you for the suggestions. Sounds like a genuine town and pretty laid back, worth shelling out a few extra dollars for. Will definitely check out Shelter Island while I'm there.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:04 AM

815 posts, read 2,052,266 times
Montauk is the wild, wild East. Gosman's for Lobster, or lunch at the Loster Roll in Napeaque. Avoid Gurney's Inn, I consider it a rip-off. Visit the docks on the North end of Flamingo Road, especially when the fishing boats return to dock. Park by the IGA store on the highway and go over the dunes to a beautiful beach. Montauk Yacht Club is pricey, yet lovely. If you go in the summer (recommended) be aware of the traffic patterns (busy to the West on Sunday and Monday; to the East on Friday and Saturday). The lighthouse (and a picnic lunch there) is also very nice. It was commissioned by George Washington.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:20 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
There's also a WONDERFUL state run golf course at Montauk Downs park... definitely worth the drive to play there as it is very reasonably priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island