Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 11:08 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times

Advertisements

Any truth to this rumor? I go there all the time. Supposedly the creek that runs behind it is toxic. I did see some new/recent DEC signage.
The rumor is Lawrence Aviation destroyed it.

Does anyone have any hard facts on this? I cant get a straight answer from the locals.

If its true shouldn't the Village shut the park down?

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:21 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Any truth to this rumor? I go there all the time. Supposedly the creek that runs behind it is toxic. I did see some new/recent DEC signage.
The rumor is Lawrence Aviation destroyed it.

Does anyone have any hard facts on this? I cant get a straight answer from the locals.

If its true shouldn't the Village shut the park down?

Crooks

Ahhh Crooks I wouldn't worry to much about it Every summer when I was a kid I use to swim in the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn. I might have a weird green tinge to my skin but it never really effected my brain. Others might not agree but to answer your question hit the link New York Cleanup Sites | Region 2 | US EPA

Old 05-17-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Ahhh Crooks I wouldn't worry to much about it Every summer when I was a kid I use to swim in the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn. I might have a weird green tinge to my skin but it never really effected my brain. Others might not agree but to answer your question hit the link New York Cleanup Sites | Region 2 | US EPA

You know what its just that it runs right by the park Mike.
We go there wth the kids all the time.
http://www.epa.gov/region02/superfun...ion/index.html
No mention of the Village/Park.

You got a good point.

My grandma used to play in the East River.

Crooks

Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 PM

465 posts, read 1,710,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I did see some new/recent DEC signage.

Crooks
What did the signs say?

Old 05-17-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrees View Post
What did the signs say?

I couldnt see them too well.Some DEC cleanup stuff.

I just found this.
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/p...anup-1.1769441

Old 05-17-2010, 06:51 PM

292 posts, read 820,156 times
There's a DEC cleanup site on New Hyde Park Rd. in Franklin Square, too, I just noticed tonight. It's so weird, it's house, house, house, cleanup site, house, house, house, I'm like WTF was there?!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:09 PM

280 posts, read 603,771 times
Why hasn't the park been closed already??? Read this article on page 3: http://www.northshoreoflongisland.com/pdf/pt_100109w.pdf - doesn't it say: "In addition, the EPA is funding the construction of a second, off-site groundwater treatment plant to be located in Port Jefferson on the western edge of Caroline Park adjacent to the Old Mill Pond. That site has tested positive for high levels of VOCs from the LAI toxic plume."

VOCs = volatile organic compounds.

The superfund site is sitting up the hill with toxins draining downward. Check out the map: http://www.epa.gov/region02/superfun...ic_surface.pdf

Here is a quote from the full document: "Due to shallow groundwater in residential areas over the TCE plume, vapor intrusion is a potential threat. EPA has initiated evaluation of this exposure pathway."

"EPA has initiated". Everything nowadays gets -> initiated. I agree, CLOSE THE ROCKETSHIP PARK until the clean up is done, or at least get rid of the sand which who knows how long has been there.

Nice find Crooks! Guess what, I'm soon moving to NJ, the garden state, lol.

Last edited by ResearchMom; 05-17-2010 at 09:33 PM..

Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
Why hasn't the park been closed already??? Read this article on page 3: http://www.northshoreoflongisland.com/pdf/pt_100109w.pdf - doesn't it say: "In addition, the EPA is funding the construction of a second, off-site groundwater treatment plant to be located in Port Jefferson on the western edge of Caroline Park adjacent to the Old Mill Pond. That site has tested positive for high levels of VOCs from the LAI toxic plume."

The superfund site is sitting up the hill with toxins draining downward. Check out the map: http://www.epa.gov/region02/superfun...ic_surface.pdf

Here is a quote from the full document: "Due to shallow groundwater in residential areas over the TCE plume, vapor intrusion is a potential threat. EPA has initiated evaluation of this exposure pathway."

"EPA has initiated". Everything nowadays gets -> initiated. I agree, CLOSE THE ROCKETSHIP PARK until the clean up is done, or at least get rid of the sand which who knows how long has been there.

Im out.

Its tough parking there with a kid....they want to go play.

Guess I wont be going to Port Jeff for a while.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post

I think they are talking about vapor intrusion into homes as an issue, I'm not sure how toxic the sand could possibly be.

Do you think that this poses any more threat to kids playing there than a passing cars exhaust fumes?

I used to play basketball down there all the time, and I'm fine.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think they are talking about vapor intrusion into homes as an issue, I'm not sure how toxic the sand could possibly be.

Do you think that this poses any more threat to kids playing there than a passing cars exhaust fumes?

I used to play basketball down there all the time, and I'm fine.

Me too.

Not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island