Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 AM

9 posts, read 25,276 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to long island from Massachusetts. I have family in the hungtington area and we are tying to pick a town/school district. We have narrowed it down to Cold Spring Harbor, Northport and Harborfields.

I know you can run into jerks wherever you go, but what are these towns REALLY like? What is the general vibe? What do most people do for a living? Is there a snobby feel to the towns? My kids are terrific soccer players-which town have great athletic programs? Political leanings? Friendliness? Opinions on the school districts?

Share the good, the bad and the ugly please. Thanks!

Isabelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,892 times
Well I can tell you that they are not like RP.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:51 AM

175 posts, read 657,310 times
3 great towns. Harborfields and CSH are considered and ranked better than Northport as far as school districts, but Northport is still fine. CSH is the smallest, Harborfields in the middle, Northport is the biggest. All 3 have good sports programs. Northport has the nicest downtown area of the 3. Harborfields probably has the best community spirit of the 3 IMO. CSH can be a little snobby. I live in CSH now, formerly in Harborfields, and have definitely gotten a snobby vibe because while I own a succesful business, it isn't exactly white collar. Overall I like Harborfields the best of the 3, it's kind of a happy medium between the other 2. But you can't go wrong with any of them.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPedro View Post
3 great towns. Harborfields and CSH are considered and ranked better than Northport as far as school districts, but Northport is still fine.
CSH is the smallest, Harborfields in the middle, Northport is the biggest. All 3 have good sports programs. Northport has the nicest downtown area of the 3.
Harborfields probably has the best community spirit of the 3 IMO. CSH can be a little snobby. I live in CSH now, formerly in Harborfields, and have definitely gotten a snobby vibe because while I own a succesful business, it isn't exactly white collar.
Overall I like Harborfields the best of the 3, it's kind of a happy medium between the other 2. But you can't go wrong with any of them.
Good post!

CSH schools are the most homogeneousand it's best if you get into the district no later than 7th grade. If you start as a freshman in High School, it can be more difficult to "break into" the established groups (had that experience with my own children).
Considering the size, Harborfields and areas it covers, is fairly diverse. The Harborfields SD covers parts of Centerport, Greenlawn, Huntington and a very small part of Northport.
Northport SD includes Asharoken, a small part of Dix Hills, E. Northport, Eatons Neck, part of Fort Salonga, a small area of Greenlawn and of course Northport - a very large area. I've heard of some troubling issues in the High School, but it's second hand, so I can't vouch for it's accuracy.

I agree, you can't go wrong with either - it just depends on what's really important to you. Most of CSH has 2 acre zoning, in most areas you have beach and mooring rights and the new library is awesome!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,554 times
What is your budget? That alone might make your decision for you.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
What is your budget? That alone might make your decision for you.
It might certainly eliminate Cold Spring Harbor! Although you can find a house in the $700Ks; used to be nothing available under a million $...

Old 05-20-2010, 07:04 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,462 times
I think CSH is a little snobby. Love Harborfields (though we're in Greenlawn) and Northport is very nice too. You should be fine with either. We just moved here this year and I like the sense of community and my neighbors are so so nice!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 AM

465 posts, read 1,709,701 times
Agreed on general level of snobbiness with CSH. Also, the district is very small, ~100 or less kids per grade as of a few years ago. Northport much larger, Harborfields in middle in terms of size.
We plan to be in Harborfields or Northport districts soon. We would be fine with either.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 AM

9 posts, read 25,276 times
Thanks everyone! We can buy in any of the districts-obivously house size would vary but most importantly we want to find the right place for our family. We have girls and cliques is a concern in the schools. We would love at least a 1/2 acre as we are coming from an acre but I know that would be tough in the harborfields district especially if we want to be by the water. We would give that up if it's right for our family. Keep the comments coming-they are VERY helpful! Does anyone out there have older girls (5th and up) involved in sports (especially soccer) in any of the districts? Also thoughts on convenience to shops/restaurants etc as far as locations etc. Even most desirable streets/locations (especially in harborfields as I am least familiar with that). Thanks!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:14 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabellaanne View Post
Thanks everyone! We can buy in any of the districts-obivously house size would vary but most importantly we want to find the right place for our family. We have girls and cliques is a concern in the schools. We would love at least a 1/2 acre as we are coming from an acre but I know that would be tough in the harborfields district especially if we want to be by the water. We would give that up if it's right for our family. Keep the comments coming-they are VERY helpful! Does anyone out there have older girls (5th and up) involved in sports (especially soccer) in any of the districts? Also thoughts on convenience to shops/restaurants etc as far as locations etc. Even most desirable streets/locations (especially in harborfields as I am least familiar with that). Thanks!
I do know that for a long time Cold Spring Harbor was the Long Island Champions (in the small school division) for soccer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island