Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:39 PM

149 posts, read 345,530 times

Advertisements

I want to know before I make a move to that district how the schools REALLY are. I have heard both good & bad.....great schools, great grades but schools are crumbling and no money in the budget to fix them. Is this true or just rumors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 02:24 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcba View Post
I want to know before I make a move to that district how the schools REALLY are. I have heard both good & bad.....great schools, great grades but schools are crumbling and no money in the budget to fix them. Is this true or just rumors?
Ill let the parents weigh in but its pretty much all true.
We share a library with them so do we hear stuff.

The schools were great now theyre good, not sure what the next stop is.
Prodell is crumbling... seems like a lousy bet, but there are very good deals to be had in SWR right now.

Its a real shame.Thats a very nice town that unfortunately didnt plan well for a rainy day ...and baby its pouring outside.

Maybe theyll merge with Longwood/Riverhead....dont know.

Good luck

Crooks

Old 05-19-2010, 02:44 PM

149 posts, read 345,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Ill let the parents weigh in but its pretty much all true.
We share a library with them so do we hear stuff.

The schools were great now theyre good, not sure what the next stop is.
Prodell is crumbling... seems like a lousy bet, but there are very good deals to be had in SWR right now.

Its a real shame.Thats a very nice town that unfortunately didnt plan well for a rainy day ...and baby its pouring outside.

Maybe theyll merge with Longwood/Riverhead....dont know.

Good luck

Crooks
Hi Crooks !!!! I found a house I LOVE on Barnes Rd - but I know the schools are not the same as they were booo hoooo

I was in RP - open house 330k but they are 1/2 in contract

I know in my heart RP is the place to be but I just LOOOOOVVVEEE some houses I see in wading river...and the prices are down. BTW I spoke to the librarian laura blender - she was wonderful and raved about RP

Old 05-19-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcba View Post
Hi Crooks !!!! I found a house I LOVE on Barnes Rd - but I know the schools are not the same as they were booo hoooo

I was in RP - open house 330k but they are 1/2 in contract

I know in my heart RP is the place to be but I just LOOOOOVVVEEE some houses I see in wading river...and the prices are down. BTW I spoke to the librarian laura blender - she was wonderful and raved about RP

I would give Miller Place a serious look too but you do lose NSPL.

Good luck

Crooks

Old 05-19-2010, 05:11 PM

347 posts, read 1,352,309 times
Are the prices down in SWR because of the schools?

Old 05-19-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Are the prices down in SWR because of the schools?
I think there may be some panic selling going on due to the potential tax spike.

Dunno...could be a great time to buy?
SWR is definitely at fire sale prices.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 05-19-2010 at 05:29 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
What is this potential tax spike? Ive heard Crooks mention it for 2 years now but I have not seen a spike. What was their increase this time around?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
What is this potential tax spike? Ive heard Crooks mention it for 2 years now but I have not seen a spike. What was their increase this time around?

This year was relatively small. 3-4% and it passed.

Last year was tougher.
The North Shore Sun

They used up their reserves, they have a JHS to rebuild or replace and have some huge senior communities hating them right now
(Leisure Glen/Knoll etc.)

Like I said, SWR may be oversold right now and might be a hell of a deal?

Great town but Id prolly be gunshy til it finds its way.

JMHO

Crooks

Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Thinking of swr also. Is there a huge difference between riverhead n Brookhaven taxes. Looking for a decent but small high school in 2-3 years. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:31 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
The "Tax spike" took place after the nuclear plant closed. Now Wading River is paying appropriate taxes like everyone else on LI.
"Panic selling". That's funy. Prices dropped in Wading River just like everywhere else. No more, no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island