Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:32 AM

302 posts, read 590,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
The only point you can make is that if you cut civil service compensation- that suddenly this is going to become a wonderland of business opportunity.

I'm not going back and forth with this anymore.

You're too quick to make jabs, insults, and ask for #'s while providing none and avoiding questions aside from restating your mundane point.

You will NEVER see compensations cut to the point you describe. You're also not willing to discuss other issues at hand for the cost here vs the financial capital of the world attractively placed next door.

Good luck on your war against people paid living wages- your subpar history, museums, and **** poor nightlife.
By the steadfast way you defend the public sector, I have no doubt you have some connection with them, if you aren't working in it already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
By the steadfast way you defend the public sector, I have no doubt you have some connection with them, if you aren't working in it already.
We all have some connection with them- that's what makes them the public sector. They're our cops, teachers, traffic crossing guards, mailmen, and county clerks.

Aside from that, no.

There's very little defense going on from me in anyone's favor- just constantly watching people get based for being a broken window in a gigantic condemned rotting to the ground building, seems a little unfair.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 AM

280 posts, read 247,563 times
Quote:
The only point you can make is that if you cut civil service compensation- that suddenly this is going to become a wonderland of business opportunity.
Wrong, cut the hyperbole and stick to facts. Cutting civil service compensation, which is known around the country as disproportionately high, will allow for more opportunity. It's not the quick fix, but it will set the wheels in motion and it is the quickest, simplest way to make us competitive again.

Quote:
I'm not going back and forth with this anymore.
That's your choice, but the reason you won't is become you've been beaten to a pulp. You can only thump on your chest and say "don't cut civil servant compensation" so long before people realize you have ZERO justification for it.

Quote:
You're too quick to make jabs, insults, and ask for #'s while providing none and avoiding questions aside from restating your mundane point.
When you make stupid comments I will call you out on it. I expect nothing less in return. That's what healthy debate is.

I also expect you to provide some facts to back up your wild claims - not an unreasonable expectation.

Quote:
You will NEVER see compensations cut to the point you describe. You're also not willing to discuss other issues at hand for the cost here vs the financial capital of the world attractively placed next door.
Why not? Civil servant compensation was that relative level back in the mid 1990's, just before Gulotta opened the flood gates. As I said, it won't happen in one swoop but over time the benefits can be adjusted such that the relative position of the civil servants is 20% less than what it is now. Not only is it doable, it's on track at this point.

Quote:
Good luck on your war against people paid living wages- your subpar history, museums, and **** poor nightlife.
It's not a war against those being paid living wages. I'm simply discussing the compensation of civil servants who are being paid a premium for what they do. I think the lines running 30,000 deep for 100 positions within the SCPD speaks for itself.

As for your insults at LI - don't let the door hit you on the way out. My friends and I love it here, and if you think you'll have better nightlife options in North Caroline or Virginia, have fun.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
We all have some connection with them- that's what makes them the public sector. They're our cops, teachers, traffic crossing guards, mailmen, and county clerks.

Aside from that, no.

There's very little defense going on from me in anyone's favor- just constantly watching people get based for being a broken window in a gigantic condemned rotting to the ground building, seems a little unfair.
Except when that window is where the mold and rodents are getting in, leading to the condemned building.

Why don't you own a home and pay some property taxes for a while, then come back and let us know how $145k/year cops and $300k administrators and $120k/year teachers, all with pensions and retiree healthcare benefits makes you feel.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:44 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if it -will- happen, but it certainly could. I personally believe since they are voter controlled entitites the school unions will modest themselves because of tougher economic times- the same unfortunately will not be said for the transit agencies, though theirs I believe is clearly a case of abuse and mismanagement from higher ups.

... I'd imagine as far as the hypothetical situation, if I had my dream home on LI I would support the costs of maintaining the schools, town, and county governments if I believed in their services- if it meant it wasn't worth anything to another buyer, so be it. I imagine that would be my home for life. That said though, I think a really nice house on LI costs somewhere in the 700K+ range, since I don't see a point to live anywhere East of Roslyn, or South of Herricks.

If you can afford to live in those areas, you can afford your tax bill.

I'd also like to rebut- that commercial entities are NOT attracted to LI, however I'm sure they COULD be. It's a tough sell- high hopes for Hofstra's Medical School.
Yes, the transit agencies are a totally different ballgame ***sigh***

Your preferred area of LI is lovely, but there are many other nice areas too.

As we all know, most homes on LI are not in the $700K and above range where the buyers are "guaranteed" to be able to afford any and all property tax increases.

What about the rest of the Island's population?

Also, what about the people in the $700K and up homes who can afford to keep paying more and more property taxes, but they are getting to the point where they think it's ridiculous?

Old 05-25-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Why don't you own a home and pay some property taxes for a while, then come back and let us know how $145k/year cops and $300k administrators and $120k/year teachers, all with pensions and retiree healthcare benefits makes you feel.
He won't. He has stated on here before that his plan is to save as much of his salary as possible until he can buy a cheapie house for cash in some out-of-state backwater with very low real estate taxes and then "hang out" there and not even have to have a "career type job" if he doesn't want to and prefers just working at a store for basic expenses money (or, more likely, if he can't find one in the aforementioned backwater).

Old 05-25-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Oh, so they are at "subsistence compensation, pensions and benefits" at this point and the meanies are trying to put them on poverty level. That's what that is.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Oh, so they are at "subsistence compensation, pensions and benefits" at this point and the meanies are trying to put them on poverty level. That's what that is.
Goes right along with "all teachers are underpaid" and "cutting taxes only hurts the children".

Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Goes right along with "all teachers are underpaid" and "cutting taxes only hurts the children".
When the facts run counter to the agenda, use hyperbole and rhetoric. Grant516 is following the playbook to a "T".

Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Unfortunately, in many places teachers ARE underpaid. However, LI is certainly on the opposite end of the spectrum AND I do not advocate making LI teachers underpaid. I am against underpaid teachers also!

It can and does hurt the children because of the way the deck is stacked when it comes to what is "votable" by the public and what is not. Since the teachers and administrators get THEIRS FIRST, the kids will always get the leftovers. Is that what we're paying taxes for? I thought it was for the education of the kids, NOT the continued and ever-improving comfortable lifestyle until death of the employees!

But the kids get the crumbs and scraps of the money and if anyone dare protest by voting against the budget, they are called "kid haters" by the beneficiaries of the stacked system. Real nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island