Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:28 AM

330 posts, read 726,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Hempstead = DUMP! Almost anywhere else on Long Island is better.

The problem is that Hempstead has been run down for more than 20 years. It's full of crime and gangs.
In fact that's not true. The majority of crime and gang activity is focused in small area in downtown Hempstead. Most of the village is actually quite safe and there is almost zero gang activity and no gang tags at all.

Quote:
I don't get it how the residents of Hempstead can let their village/town/hamlet become like that. Don't they have any pride or dignity?
Hempstead's economy was decimated in the 60s and 70s thanks to multiple causes such as Roosevelt Field and Green Acres having a huge negative impact on the commercial sector of the village (which was at one time the retail center of Nassau County). Also closing of the some of the major manufacturing plants in the area destroyed many jobs and the village went down.

Quote:
Why hasn't the local government done anything to make Hempstead better?
Since 2005 there has been a project in the works, Downtown Revitalization. There have already bee many improvements such as the shopping center on Fulton St (Home Depot, Stop and Shop, Old Navy and many more) which have brought jobs back the area. The North Main St and North Franklin St project has begun recently which is building new mixed use buildings for co-ops and new business (which is a ten year project also bringing good jobs to the area). There is massive private investment and public investment in this project (including the LI Regional Council and Hofstra).

Hempstead is coming back around. Great time to get in on it when real estate is still super cheap here.

HEMPSTEADCDA.ORG

http://174.120.246.251/~cdasg007/ima..._rev091708.pdf

http://www.villageofhempstead.org/ho...0811-state.pdf

Incorporated Village of Hempstead

Long Island Development Called “Significant” | The New York Observer

$2 billion Hempstead revamp dubbed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,441 times
does anyone have any information on the apartments being built next to (in back of) the mobil station on franklin ave, right on the garden city (country life press) line. they look huge but that area is dicey, i wonder what they are asking for......

Old 01-03-2012, 12:51 PM

330 posts, read 726,202 times
I've seen them, and that area borders Garden City right on Meadow St. It's actually mostly commercial/industrial in that area. Don't know anything about who's building them, if you contact Hempstead CDA they can probably tell you. HEMPSTEADCDA.ORG

The idea behind the rehab project is to build new apartments that range from low price to high price in the same building to diversify the area, to draw in more money. That coupled with some new commercial ventures is hopefully going to help along further development. I assume those new apartments are part of that.

The Leader in Authentic Downtown Revitalization - Renaissance Downtowns is the company doing a lot of it. They've had success in other areas and I'm looking forward to see what they can do with Downtown Hempstead.

CDA Comprehensive Plan: http://174.120.246.251/~cdasg007/ima...d_compplan.pdf

Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 PM

18 posts, read 34,288 times
I'm planning to move to west hempstead, behind the Lakeview library. Very nice houses on that cul-de-sac and belongs to malverne SD. Any thoughts about the neighborhood?? Is it good or bad? (christopher court and pinebrook ave)

Old 04-21-2014, 09:54 AM

406 posts, read 874,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMIJ7125 View Post
I'm planning to move to west hempstead, behind the Lakeview library. Very nice houses on that cul-de-sac and belongs to malverne SD. Any thoughts about the neighborhood?? Is it good or bad? (christopher court and pinebrook ave)
That area is considered Lakeview. It is... not that desirable of an area.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Anyone heard from the OP or did she get knifed in Hempstead?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 PM

That's bummer!! The house is beautiful and huge! I fell in love with that home. I've been there several times at different hours and it appears to be a nice quiet neighborhood. why is it not desirable.???

Old 04-23-2014, 08:42 PM

321 posts, read 595,806 times
Hempstead, Roosevelt and Freeport are the armpit of Nassau County.

Although they may all have pockets of nice areas, the good does not outweigh the bad.

Furthermore, if you wanted to buy house in the upscale area of Hempstead that borders on West Hempstead and Garden City, you are looking at a good $20k in property taxes when your Garden City counterpart is paying around $12k for a nicer house and a school district that isn't abysmal.

Hempstead is a microcosm of all the things wrong with our country at this moment. In the village you will find rampant and blatant political corruption and cronyism, the lowest of socioeconomic conditions along the lines of West Virginia Appalachia and a huge population of illegal aliens that make no effort to hide their presence.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:28 PM

I have been around the neighborhood (lakeview), around lakeview library several times at different times of day (including late at night)and have not seen anything that may raise any red flags. I still cannot understand why this place has such of a bad reputation. I think it is due to race. This is is mostly a middle class black neighborhood. Very nice people by the way.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:48 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMIJ7125 View Post
I have been around the neighborhood (lakeview), around lakeview library several times at different times of day (including late at night)and have not seen anything that may raise any red flags. I still cannot understand why this place has such of a bad reputation. I think it is due to race. This is is mostly a middle class black neighborhood. Very nice people by the way.
My recommendation is if YOU like the area and the people, then move there! Everybody on here has different opinions about everywhere and many times we do not agree. As for crime issues, if it were me, I would go to or call the Police Precinct that serves Lakeview and inquire there. They would be the true experts with the most up to date information and current facts on that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island