Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 11:42 PM

18 posts, read 155,749 times

Advertisements

Hello a family member of mine has a big problem. A person is occupying a house in Nassau County when the person was only suppose to be there for a month & pay $1700. A year later the person has paid $400 & is still in the 4 bedroom house. The person has no lease & was told to get out countless times. All the utilities are in the home owners name so the person is living for free. The owner is very old & is being taken advantage of & I need to help but dont know what to do. Can't afford an attorney right now cause the person has ran up the electric bill & water bill plus the owner just paid the taxes. Please any advice or helpful tips would be great. I told the owner to take the electricity out of his name or not pay the bill so they can shut it off for non-payment to force the person to leave but I doubt that will get the person out. Who knows who else is up it the house. Please Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 04:34 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXExplorer View Post
Hello a family member of mine has a big problem. A person is occupying a house in Nassau County when the person was only suppose to be there for a month & pay $1700. A year later the person has paid $400 & is still in the 4 bedroom house. The person has no lease & was told to get out countless times. All the utilities are in the home owners name so the person is living for free. The owner is very old & is being taken advantage of & I need to help but dont know what to do. Can't afford an attorney right now cause the person has ran up the electric bill & water bill plus the owner just paid the taxes. Please any advice or helpful tips would be great. I told the owner to take the electricity out of his name or not pay the bill so they can shut it off for non-payment to force the person to leave but I doubt that will get the person out. Who knows who else is up it the house. Please Help!
In suffolk county I am familiar with the eviction process. I will tell you how it is here and maybe give you an insight into Nassau co.

Go to your local court ; they will give you two types of forms ; one is a holdover form, meaning for tenants that have overstayed their welcome. The other is a recovery of real estate. Basically the landowner would be the petitioner and she/he would be sueing the tenant. File these forms with the court and you need someone to go and serve it to the tenant. Make sure it is the tenant that gets the forms ; the landlord cannot serve them.
In Patchogue the court date was within a week. The ladlord has to show up at court and state her/case. The tenant also has to show up. Both sides can adjourn it once. Then the judge will hopefully give you a date that they must pay by and/or be out by. For me the date was 2 days later ; the tenant paid within those two days.

Once the date has gone by and no money ; you need to apply for a transcript of the case. When you get that, you need to go to the sherrif and file that ; dont know the fee but I think its a couple of hundred dollars. Then its in the sherrifs hands and there is nothing you can do. The sherrif will eventually get around to posting a 72 hour notice on the property ; meaning that the tenant has 72 hours to get out or they will be back once that 72 hours is up and put her stuff on the street.

It can take a few months ; it is a very frustrating process.
good luck.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 AM

486 posts, read 2,112,479 times
BK.....that is really disgusting. I am very sorry for your family member.
I hope it all works out for you and soon too. It's going to cost money to evict this person, but in the end it will be worth it for peace of mind.
Good luck with the process. Too bad you can't blast this persons name all over the internet......because he can then turnaround and sue you and then own the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island