Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:19 AM

431 posts, read 1,310,339 times

Advertisements

I live in Deer Park (Town of Babylon) and need to get rid of this stuff.

And

I got 1 quote of $90 for debri removal, but that seems steep. Will the dump take this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Can't you call the town and have them just pick it up?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 AM

184 posts, read 805,680 times
Town of Babylon

Residential Recycling Center: The Residential Recycling Center located on Field Street off Edison Avenue in West Babylon is open for drop-off of recyclable materials such as plastics/glass, waste oil, car batteries, computer paper, telephone books, rocks/bricks, household batteries, junk mail, oil filters, metal/aluminum cans, polystyrene, newspapers, cardboard, concrete, tires. Also accepted are bicycles for the adopt-a-bike program.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:35 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
I usually try to hide stuff like that in the regular garbage pickup. Piece at a time and they wont know it until it in the truck.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I usually try to hide stuff like that in the regular garbage pickup. Piece at a time and they wont know it until it in the truck.
Lol! When I lived on Long Island my father would do that too...like that long pole he'd saw up into a million pieces and put it in with regular garbage. Just don't make it too heavy:P

Old 05-20-2010, 09:54 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Yep, that's the way I do it.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Lol! When I lived on Long Island my father would do that too...like that long pole he'd saw up into a million pieces and put it in with regular garbage. Just don't make it too heavy:P
Yes..that's the key to it..little at a time and not too heavy

Old 05-20-2010, 11:20 AM

244 posts, read 540,215 times
I agree with the above post about the Babylon Town Recycling Center. They are great at taking all sorts of stuff. If you can get it there yourself

The carpet, cut it up into smaller pieces, small enough to fit in a black contractor bag, and leave it out for regular garbage pickup. As long as it's lighter than the limit, what is it 40LBS? They'll take it, and even then, if you have nice sanitation people, they'll take it if it's over. Matter of fact, I've seen people just roll that stuff up, tie it with rope, and they take it. Carpet isn't a big deal. There's really nothing you can do with it except land-fill it.

The concrete, well, that's a problem. It is recyclable though, they crush it and use it for landscaping or fill. The recycling center will definitely take it. Small pieces, mixed in with regular garbage, again, not a problem but you have to break it up into small pieces.

Any metal, leave it out on the street near your garbage cans, I bet some enterprising soul comes by with a truck and takes it and scraps it for money. I have a guy around here with a pickup truck or a box truck that takes almost ANYTHING, even cutting off the power cords from dead TVs. Or you could do it yourself. Gershow's in Lindenhurst will certainly take metal and pay you for it, and if it's a small amount, I'm sure they'll just let you throw it in the pile. There are other scrap metal dealers around, small-time operations, and they'll take iron/steel that's not worth a lot as long as you don't expect anything for it I think there's one such place on Long Island Avenue in Deer Park.

ALSO - Babylon (at least Lindenhurst) has a "special pickup" service. Call them up and ask them if they would take the stuff especially the concrete and poles. I'm not up on what they will and won't take, but tell them you can't get it to the recycling center yourself, and they might be willing to help.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:58 AM

104 posts, read 380,448 times
Easy. GotJunk.Com

They will take and resell/recycle anything. There is a small fee however, but its worth it IMO because they come to your door and take it away for you. When I redecorated my apartment last year, sold off what I could I had stuff lying around for weeks because I didnt have the time/means of getting rid of it. In half an hour they came and cleaned it out for me.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:37 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynGirl45 View Post
Easy. GotJunk.Com

They will take and resell/recycle anything. There is a small fee however, but its worth it IMO because they come to your door and take it away for you. When I redecorated my apartment last year, sold off what I could I had stuff lying around for weeks because I didnt have the time/means of getting rid of it. In half an hour they came and cleaned it out for me.
They're great, but they do have a minimum charge. Not sure OP will save money with them over his original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island