Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,367 times

Advertisements

I rent a retail space on Main Street Islip Hamlet for the last 13 years. Last Oct the landlord approved the space next to me to be used as a Puppy Shop. Now we have choas. The tenant has total disregard for the laws and aesthetics of the community and has slowly impacted the entire area with his lawlessnes and general disregard for others. He parks for hours in "no standing zones", and limited parking spaces; he has affixed signage to a tree in front of my store, with penant flags; he obstructs our common walkway to our rear entrance with gasrbage bags; drains the fluids that he uses to clean the kennels onto a common area in the back that puddles in fron of my entrance; and most recently has begun to barbeque in a amall Hibachi, wit lighter fluid fumes and flames that are left unattended for periods of time. He also leaves his front door open and the stench from his poorly maintained space permeates the street and has received complaints from customers ands residents alike. What is the most effective way to deal with such a situation; how can we get the codes enforced effectively? The landlord has attempted to control his behavior but with minimal success. Though we are flanked by two Town Halls and the Fire Marshall is across the Street, it seems fruitless trying to get these authorities to enforce the laws and the codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 07:50 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,422,568 times
I know the place and yes it stinks to high heaven. I parked in front of there on my way to Gino's and I couldn't believe how bad it stunk. I've seen the guy too, no sleeve t shirt walking one of the puppies on the sidewalk, looks like a db. Islip town is useless, unless you have a parking ticket, then they work with amazing efficiency.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:55 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
no sleeve t shirt walking one of the puppies on the sidewalk, looks like a db.
OUCH, so anyone who wears a tank top is a DB?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:52 AM

592 posts, read 1,813,160 times
Ooooo, but you can go over and play with the puppies! (Just kidding, although the puppy playing would be a plus for me the entire situation sounds like a nightmare. Sorry that happened to you.)

Old 05-20-2010, 07:30 PM

I appreciate your remarks, but truly this is not about puppies, or sleeveless Tees. I simply thought that perhaps there was someone out there with the experience with the enforcement agencies that could shed some light on how we could effectively contain this businesses activities so that its residue doesn't spill over onto the adjoining businesses. Although I have been told that numerous individuals have made complaints about this businesses' activities, over a prolonged period of time, there seems to be no comprehensive attempt to reign him in, no consistent response other than responses to prompts, which obviously are random and not a deterrant to the offender.

Againg if any one has any light to shed on effective ways tyo address this , I would be very appreciative.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM

465 posts, read 1,708,759 times
You have have filed a complaint to the town already or just to the landlord?

Maybe the chamber of commerce can help or advise you? especially if multiple businesses are in agreemnet about filing a complaint?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 PM

8,810 posts, read 21,266,065 times
Maybe you could have the fire department come and look when he is cooking on the habachi. It might be a code violation.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 PM

407 posts, read 966,064 times
Write to the town, personally I'd send it to a bunch of different departments....the key is to do it in writing. CC the letter to News 12 and anyone else you might think would care. I find that once it is in writing things start to happen.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:36 PM

176 posts, read 474,402 times
I say man up and confront the guy....if talking things out like people "used" to do in the old days does not work then use other legal tactics. I really do not get it when people have issues with people and they are afraid to talk to people about instead the problem just escalates and becomes a bigger issues that it should have even been. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:58 AM

Maybe you don't get it...this guy has been confronted by many of us on a variety of issuess,,,he could care less...your "man up" approach might have worked in the old days, sometimes.I wouldn't be posting this if it was as simple as that. But thanks, buddy.

As far as jtees4 respnse, that's funny because that's exactly what we've decided to do. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: