Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,630,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
And upstate generally gets much better aid than LI.
From what the assistant superintendent in the Bayshore SD has told me, we on LI are also paying for the schools upstate out of our RE taxes.

Really, something has to be done about our rip-off school taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 08:35 PM

574 posts, read 974,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
From what the assistant superintendent in the Bayshore SD has told me, we on LI are also paying for the schools upstate out of our RE taxes.

Yea right! And who do you think are paying for these salaries?

Bay Shore Union Free Schools Bay Shore Union Free Schools (Professional) Holman, Evelyn B Ndr $309,334 2009

Bay Shore Union Free Schools Bay Shore Union Free Schools (Professional) Brown, Carlton D Ndr $185,703 2009

Bay Shore Union Free Schools Bay Shore Union Free Schools (Professional) Maloney, Steven J Ndr $188,378 2009

Bay Shore Union Free Schools Bay Shore Union Free Schools (Professional) Frazier, Edmund R Ndr $201,021 2009

Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 PM

574 posts, read 974,136 times
Quote:
I don't know where I'd find this out, but I know that there are some states that fully fund their public schools. And yes, NY used to do a much better job of funding for districts and slowly but surely, they've taken a lot away, forcing districts to increase property taxes to make up the difference. Transportation and building aid are two biggies that have been cut back enormously, especially on LI.

Stop the nonsense. Teachers & administrators salaries and benefits consume about 75 to 80% of every school districts budget. That's insane...its not the state, its not transportation, its not sports, its not the electric or oil bill.....ITS TEACHERS & ADMINISTRATORS SALARIES & BENEFITS PERIOD!

Old 06-03-2010, 04:50 PM

570 posts, read 1,210,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I am not sure what form anything coming from Albany would take to resolve the tax issue and remember the teachers union has always been a powerful lobby as you can see.

My understanding is that the school boards give general guidance to the negotiator and I would hope COLA's and health are a part of that guidance. The board needs to inform the lawyer that they will not approve a 3% increase, teachers are not going to leave a district becuse they received the lowest COLA or had to pay more into their health plan. Actually freezing salaries would not be unfair since they have received 3-3.5% plus step increases under the current contracts.

The issue I have seen is that school boards simply roll over the prior contract without any change and the residents are not informed. That needs to change and taxpayers need to get involved early on to make sure they are represented.
Sure the union is powerful, but sometimes even they realize there are changes that are needed. It would be to their benefit to give a little to save face, but I understand completely that it doesn't happen often!

Yes, boards give their lawyer guidance as to what they want to happen in negotiations, and every piece of the contract can be on the table. They will offer a certain percent increase, the union counteroffers, back and forth, give and take. Sometimes a rollover is a good thing, but it shouldn't be used all the time. Residents should be informed, generally this is done at a board meeting once the union has voted and agrees to terms. Anyone can FOIL the final contract as well.

Taxpayers have little influence on negotiations. They can offer their opinions in public meeting, they can call board members, but they aren't going to get any information about how things are going - that's illegal.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post

What he really means is that we don't get back, in the form of aid, the equal amount of the taxes we pay to the state. Some of it goes to the city, some to upstate - as they are considered poorer than us.

There is a statistic called the CRW, Combined Wealth Ratio. If your district's number is over 1, you're either in a very wealthy district, or you aren't getting the aid you probably should be! Like my district, we have a few very wealthy people who seem to override the fact that we have an ever-growing poverty population. We haven't gotten our "fair" share of aid in decades. Ask your business person what your CRW is! They'll explain the significance of that number to you.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
Stop the nonsense. Teachers & administrators salaries and benefits consume about 75 to 80% of every school districts budget. That's insane...its not the state, its not transportation, its not sports, its not the electric or oil bill.....ITS TEACHERS & ADMINISTRATORS SALARIES & BENEFITS PERIOD!

Seriously you are a Johnny One Note!
There is so much more to this issue than teacher and administrator salaries. You'd be better informed if you would listen and understand the impact of other items on your tax bill!
No one is saying that teachers and admins don't affect the budgets, we are saying there are several more items to be dealt with as well.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,202,474 times
Quote:
There is so much more to this issue than teacher and administrator salaries. You'd be better informed if you would listen and understand the impact of other items on your tax bill!
No one is saying that teachers and admins don't affect the budgets, we are saying there are several more items to be dealt with as well.
Let's get REAL as to effect:

Teachers and admins = dollars, and lots of them
Other items to be dealt with = fractions of pennies

Old 06-03-2010, 05:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,202,474 times
Quote:
Sure the union is powerful, but sometimes even they realize there are changes that are needed. It would be to their benefit to give a little to save face, but I understand completely that it doesn't happen often!

Yes, boards give their lawyer guidance as to what they want to happen in negotiations, and every piece of the contract can be on the table. They will offer a certain percent increase, the union counteroffers, back and forth, give and take. Sometimes a rollover is a good thing, but it shouldn't be used all the time. Residents should be informed, generally this is done at a board meeting once the union has voted and agrees to terms. Anyone can FOIL the final contract as well.

Taxpayers have little influence on negotiations. They can offer their opinions in public meeting, they can call board members, but they aren't going to get any information about how things are going - that's illegal.
1. Public sector unions generally won't give in until after they've killed the golden goose.

2. It should be illegal for it to be otherwise, since the taxpayers are actually picking up the tab for it all. That's just another example of union and school board collusion.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:03 PM

The school boards didn't make up the negotiation rules, now did they?

Old 06-03-2010, 05:12 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,630,815 times
Quote:
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island