Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 PM

570 posts, read 1,210,494 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:28 PM

852 posts, read 2,011,848 times
Default That's not his point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Seriously you are a Johnny One Note!
There is so much more to this issue than teacher and administrator salaries. You'd be better informed if you would listen and understand the impact of other items on your tax bill!
No one is saying that teachers and admins don't affect the budgets, we are saying there are several more items to be dealt with as well.
Everyone should be familiar with FreeRepublic.com. It is a conservative web-based community that instructs people on how to manage online, newspaper, and radio sentiment. He is attempting to introduce what is termed a "meme" into our thinking. He doesn't want to discuss it. He wants to keep hitting the same note. He and FanofAvatar either belong to FreeRepublic.com (and are thus termed "Freepers") or to some variant of it out of the tea party patriots.

I counter them not necessarily because I disagree with what they say. I counter them because their discourse doesn't exist to foster reasoned public discussion. They are campaigning. They are trying to affect a movement.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 PM

56,891 posts, read 25,822,100 times
Quote:
Sure the union is powerful, but sometimes even they realize there are changes that are needed. It would be to their benefit to give a little to save face, but I understand completely that it doesn't happen often!

Yes, boards give their lawyer guidance as to what they want to happen in negotiations, and every piece of the contract can be on the table. They will offer a certain percent increase, the union counteroffers, back and forth, give and take. Sometimes a rollover is a good thing, but it shouldn't be used all the time. Residents should be informed, generally this is done at a board meeting once the union has voted and agrees to terms. Anyone can FOIL the final contract as well.

Taxpayers have little influence on negotiations. They can offer their opinions in public meeting, they can call board members, but they aren't going to get any information about how things are going - that's illegal.
I have seen the past contracts for several districts and they are simply a repeat of prior years and seem to always move towards the union side except for teachers sharing in the health plans cost. It appears very little thought went into past contracts but there was no contrntion why would they bother.
These school boards need to be put on notice now that if they approve another contract for the teachers the responsiblity of a district going to a contingency will be on there shoulders. They need to represent the children first and foremost but they need to also represent the tax payers.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Everyone should be familiar with FreeRepublic.com. It is a conservative web-based community that instructs people on how to manage online, newspaper, and radio sentiment. He is attempting to introduce what is termed a "meme" into our thinking. He doesn't want to discuss it. He wants to keep hitting the same note. He and FanofAvatar either belong to FreeRepublic.com (and are thus termed "Freepers") or to some variant of it out of the tea party patriots.

I counter them not necessarily because I disagree with what they say. I counter them because their discourse doesn't exist to foster reasoned public discussion. They are campaigning. They are trying to affect a movement.

Interesting concept! I've heard of meme before.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I have seen the past contracts for several districts and they are simply a repeat of prior years and seem to always move towards the union side except for teachers sharing in the health plans cost. It appears very little thought went into past contracts but there was no contrntion why would they bother.
These school boards need to be put on notice now that if they approve another contract for the teachers the responsiblity of a district going to a contingency will be on there shoulders. They need to represent the children first and foremost but they need to also represent the tax payers.

Yes, it's true to a point. Once an item is negotiated and has been in a contract for years, there is little chance of it being changed. However, terms of increases and contributions to benefits do change. Many times things like assigned duty periods or number of times one can be reassigned or required number of school days or professional development hours will change.
When times are good, people are more likely to give away the store. When times are bad, it's too late to change a lot of the good stuff given away before and we all suffer for it. Unfortunately, the people who served on the board at one point aren't there anymore to deal with the ramifications of their prior actions. A board member with "history" can sometimes be a very good thing, as they've learned from their previous lessons. Always having newbies on your board can be disasterous as they don't know anything and have never negotiated before.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:48 AM

56,891 posts, read 25,822,100 times
Default Teachers Health Benefits Survey - Nassau County

Weitzman survey from 2006 health plan cost was $5000/$12000.

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci...its_Survey.pdf

Old 06-04-2010, 01:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,195,343 times
Quote:
Yes, it's true to a point. Once an item is negotiated and has been in a contract for years, there is little chance of it being changed. However, terms of increases and contributions to benefits do change. Many times things like assigned duty periods or number of times one can be reassigned or required number of school days or professional development hours will change.
When times are good, people are more likely to give away the store. When times are bad, it's too late to change a lot of the good stuff given away before and we all suffer for it. Unfortunately, the people who served on the board at one point aren't there anymore to deal with the ramifications of their prior actions. A board member with "history" can sometimes be a very good thing, as they've learned from their previous lessons. Always having newbies on your board can be disasterous as they don't know anything and have never negotiated before.
Are you kidding or just trying to feed pablum to what you think are the uneducated masses of C-D?

I mean, seriously! Do open your eyes and take a look at the typical tenure of Long Island school board members and these people stick around for years, even decades. In my district, we have people who have been on it ranging from 10 to 24 years straight. Plus, this year, as in previous ones, unopposed incumbents. They could die and win the election. Seriously.

"Newbies" would be more apt to buck the status quo and that is exactly what the proponents of the status quo don't want: a newbie bent on tax reform upsetting the "delicate balance" in favor of the unions.

It's time for change.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,195,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Are you still upset how I exposed your foolish and nonsensical ideas? Go away man, really you don't know me. I've never been to that website you mention, nor have I ever attended any tea party event or been a part of anything tea party related. You are wrong once again.

I don't even have a problem with most teachers' salaries. My issue is with those who are gouging the taxpaper, and yes it is happening.

Finally, I do think a movement is necessary because crazies will defend teacher/cop salaries until their fingers fall off, and will throw every emotional, irrational justification they can conjure out to the public. The public is stupid and will accept the scare tactics at their face. That's why a movement is necessary.
I think in this case the "crazie" as you call it has a teacher wife and is desperately counting on her income, benefits and especially retirement plan in order to improve/maintain his lifestyle, so yeah, the "crazie" has a big dog in this fight ...

You cannot win with that kind of person because they think their whole life is at stake. Meanwhile, eventually the property taxes are going to kill them too if we allow them to continue to spiral out of control ...

Old 06-04-2010, 01:53 PM

852 posts, read 2,011,848 times
Default Yup!

Quote:
Interesting concept! I've heard of meme before.
Yes - the meme is repeated again and again. Addressing the nuance is ignored because you don't want your foolishness exposed. Then you attack your argumentative opponent as self-involved, ignorant, or as FanofAvatar put it, "The public is stupid and will accept the scare tactics at their face." So, not only are my thoughts and facts rejected without consideration, but the entire audience is impeached as unreasonable rounders.

Spreading the meme IS what they are up to. I didn't say that they were particularly good at it.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,227,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Yes - the meme is repeated again and again. Addressing the nuance is ignored because you don't want your foolishness exposed. Then you attack your argumentative opponent as self-involved, ignorant, or as FanofAvatar put it, "The public is stupid and will accept the scare tactics at their face." So, not only are my thoughts and facts rejected without consideration, but the entire audience is impeached as unreasonable rounders.

Spreading the meme IS what they are up to. I didn't say that they were particularly good at it.

Meme-pushers also make up several sock-puppet accounts with which to make posts agreeing with themselves to make it seem like there's more of them than there are. I don't think the OP, CRV, is part of that, or most of the people on this thread, but it's pretty obvious who the troll with the proxies is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island