Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 PM

57,221 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacoupe View Post
The 20 step raises that people complain about is pathetic by most union standards. The fact that it takes 20 years to reach "top pay" is way below most union contracts that usually have a 5 - 10 year progression. That is actually in favor of the taxpayer The other increases are cost of living and is nothing more than any other civil service and most private union contracts get.

OUTRAGEOUS is a point of veiw and a matter of opinion. What is outrageous to some is a mere pittance to others. The people have spoke in the last vote. Oh yea it was raining out
I am not sure what "union standards" you are using but 20 steps just for showing up not including COLA's amounts to over 7-8% in most districts but I guess the increases are so numbing in this area it has become the standard.

Yes the people have spoken but wait until next year when NY state & federal funding is gone, just a matter of time. Did you see all the businesses leaving NJ for the same reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
I could tell you a story of a busdriver who was raped, should we increase her salary 80% to put it on par with LI teachers because she "deals with my dirty laundry" too?
the head slap causes the mind set
if it didnt happen to me, it didnt happen. why should i pay you anything everything should be free.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:15 PM

280 posts, read 247,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the head slap causes the mind set
if it didnt happen to me, it didnt happen. why should i pay you anything everything should be free.
Sorry pal, I'm not saying they should work for free or even a discount, but some equity needs to exist. Right now the tax payers are the rape victim here. We don't want out state to turn into your state. Have fun keeping the lights on out there in Cali.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Sorry pal, I'm not saying they should work for free or even a discount, but some equity needs to exist. Right now the tax payers are the rape victim here. We don't want out state to turn into your state. Have fun keeping the lights on out there in Cali.
alright lets just suppose you are right, and allen greenspan is right, voucher system is the way to go. subcontract fever.
that would make me happy bek then the hell hole that has become known as k12 would end. you are right about california-- pretty sad- lots of crazies, but no winter.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:56 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
alright lets just suppose you are right, and allen greenspan is right, voucher system is the way to go. subcontract fever.
that would make me happy bek then the hell hole that has become known as k12 would end. you are right about california-- pretty sad- lots of crazies, but no winter.
Yeah, California. No winter. Or spring or fall. Too bad bek kind of boring.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:37 AM

168 posts, read 314,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I am not sure what "union standards" you are using but 20 steps just for showing up not including COLA's amounts to over 7-8% in most districts but I guess the increases are so numbing in this area it has become the standard.

Yes the people have spoken but wait until next year when NY state & federal funding is gone, just a matter of time. Did you see all the businesses leaving NJ for the same reasons?
The union standards I am using are from actual experience. IAM,TWU and IBEW as well as AMFA TEAMSTERS and the non union companies in the respective feilds as well. Most had a 5 year progression to top pay. Some offered 10 yr but usually had a higher top rate when you finally did reach it (if ever). 20 step increases to top pay holds down a teachers pay, below what the position actually pays. It offers a carrot at the end of the stick and ensures loyalty to the district. We want to retain our experienced teachers and this is a tool to ensure they have a vested interest in staying. You do not understand the compensation structure. From the step increases to the college degrees and credits the structure is set up to encourage teachers to continue thier education AND stay with a district.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
The 20 step raises that people complain about is pathetic by most union standards. The fact that it takes 20 years to reach "top pay" is way below most union contracts that usually have a 5 - 10 year progression. That is actually in favor of the taxpayer The other increases are cost of living and is nothing more than any other civil service and most private union contracts get.

OUTRAGEOUS is a point of veiw and a matter of opinion. What is outrageous to some is a mere pittance to others. The people have spoke in the last vote. Oh yea it was raining out
OH NO! You are not dragging me into the RAINING argument! LOL!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
they do it for the same reason they give good benefits to police and social workers. bek we deal with your dirty laundry. high stress jobs with lots of danger and hostility. my cousins friend, a teacher, was gang raped in a stair well, 2 of them were her own students.
we deal with your dirty laundry friend, that is why we get paid.
Where did this happen?

That has never happened on Long Island.

Long Island teachers in even the "worst" school district are never in this type of danger.

As a matter of fact, in the supposedly more "dangerous" area nearby ... NYC ... the teachers are paid less and so are the cops. How does that make sense if we are going by "pay them more because of danger?" Because it doesn't go by that. It goes by whose unions are more powerful. The Long Island unions are more powerful than the NYC ones when it comes to negotiating.

The vast majority of Long Island is comprised of people who are NOT white trash and/or dirtbags of every color, creed, etc., as has been reproducing at warp speed out there in the "real America." (See the movie Idiocracy to understand what I mean.)

The jails around here are not full of bikers, white supremacists, and methamphetamine dealers and addicts. Notice we DON'T have episodes of COPS filmed here, we DON'T have a Policewomen of Nassau and Suffolk County filmed here ... need I go on?

Old 05-27-2010, 02:24 PM

57,221 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
The union standards I am using are from actual experience. IAM,TWU and IBEW as well as AMFA TEAMSTERS and the non union companies in the respective feilds as well. Most had a 5 year progression to top pay. Some offered 10 yr but usually had a higher top rate when you finally did reach it (if ever). 20 step increases to top pay holds down a teachers pay, below what the position actually pays. It offers a carrot at the end of the stick and ensures loyalty to the district. We want to retain our experienced teachers and this is a tool to ensure they have a vested interest in staying. You do not understand the compensation structure. From the step increases to the college degrees and credits the structure is set up to encourage teachers to continue thier education AND stay with a district.
Teachers are a white collar position and different than the blue collar unions you use as an example. Most professional jobs, engineering, accounting, etc education is continual. Also I think you are making the assumption that 20 steps take 20 years, the jumps in steps are up to the school boards and the superintendent. Teachers can move horizontally with education, vertically with the yearly step increases and also a built in COLA with the pay schedules each year. This does not even address all the other items that can bump up their salary in the 50 page contracts. Most of the teahers contracts I have seen look like approximately 7% increase a year in basic salary and a few more percent due to the increase in health costs.

Teachers get all to much encouragement from these contract especially since their are new grads that cannot get a job and we have not even spoken about health benefits.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

My school district has already had some funding cut from NYS. I am sure most, if not all, LI school districts have had the same.

What do you mean by "gone?" Are you saying there will be nothing, nada, zip next year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island