Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 PM

577 posts, read 978,665 times

Advertisements

*20 years of "step" increases
*unlimited sick
*unlimited excusals for family illness
*three hour and forty minutes of teaching time for HS teachers
*With step & contract they get 8% increase this year in East Williston

Are the school board members incompetent?
Are they corrupt?
Are they all PTO moms that just give away the store?
Are they so wealthy they don't care?

Someone please explain to me how they are able to agree to these outrageous contracts for teachers, administrators & superintendents. In the past no-one knew how outrageous these contracts were...it was hush hush. Now that they're online I can see how foolish our School Boards are!

VOTE NO IN 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:47 PM

116 posts, read 365,958 times
I'm a Long Island public school teacher and my district doesn't offer any of those things on your list.
I don't get 20 years step increases.
I have limited sick days (then I'm docked pay).
I don't have unlimited "family illness".
When I have to teach a lesson, I have to prepare for that lesson during my "prep" time. Wouldn't that be included in your "three hours of teaching time"? We also prep, grade, etc. during the day.
I work an 8 hour day (from 7a.m. to 3p.m.), excluding my 40 min. lunch if you want to count that.

I don't want to argue back & forth & defend my job. I just want to offer some facts into the arguments...

Last edited by trip; 05-20-2010 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 05-20-2010, 08:59 PM
grant516

n/a posts
... because all members of the school board are residents of the district- and as you saw on Tuesday, the majority of residents approve of these benefits and payscales for teachers.

That's called Democracy- I think that this concept alludes you as you're too bitter to get over it.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
... because all members of the school board are residents of the district- and as you saw on Tuesday, the majority of residents approve of these benefits and payscales for teachers.

That's called Democracy- I think that this concept alludes you as you're too bitter to get over it.

and East Williston His/Her hang-up passed. Obviously people dont mind what the teachers get.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,628 times
CRV--ALL your "facts" are wrong! You must either lack reading comprehension, not be able to read at all, or just love to make things up as you go along to stir up trouble. What a shame for you.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:45 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
I'm a Long Island public school teacher and my district doesn't offer any of those things on your list.
I don't get 20 years step increases.
I have limited sick days (then I'm docked pay).
I don't have unlimited "family illness".
When I have to teach a lesson, I have to prepare for that lesson during my "prep" time. Wouldn't that be included in your "three hours of teaching time"? We also prep, grade, etc. during the day.
I work an 8 hour day (from 7a.m. to 3p.m.), excluding my 40 min. lunch if you want to count that.

I don't want to argue back & forth & defend my job. I just want to offer some facts into the arguments...
And you work ~185, no weekends, nights, or holidays. Every summer and vacation time is automatically off. You work about 185 days compared to about 240 days for the average F/T employee. And your crying about "prep" time?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
CRV--ALL your "facts" are wrong! You must either lack reading comprehension, not be able to read at all, or just love to make things up as you go along to stir up trouble. What a shame for you.
I don't want to defend CRV to vehemently because he/she always seeems to be trolling for an argument but some of the "facts" listed are correct or close enough to be considered correct. Here is what I think is probably correct given my reading of the teacher's contract in my SD:
*20 years of "step" increases
*three hour and forty minutes of teaching time for HS teachers
*With step & contract they get 8% increase this year in East Williston

What he/she doesn't explain is that the "step" schedule and most of the % increase is not negotiated by the school board - the majority of the increase of salaries is the result of state labor laws.

trip - At what SD are you employed that you don't have a "step" schedule?

One other thing - there is so much misinformation and also good information incorrectly communicated that anyone who has an interest in this topic should ask their SD for a copy of the contract the SD has agreed to with their teacher's union.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:59 PM

577 posts, read 978,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
and East Williston His/Her hang-up passed. Obviously people dont mind what the teachers get.

The East Williston budget passed by about 40 votes and if it wasn't for the heavy all day rain which kept the seniors home it would have been defeated by a big margin!

By the way the PTO moms were busy stuffing flyers in peoples doors the night before the election.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:32 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
The East Williston budget passed by about 40 votes and if it wasn't for the heavy all day rain which kept the seniors home it would have been defeated by a big margin!

By the way the PTO moms were busy stuffing flyers in peoples doors the night before the election.
Militant PTO moms got it past? I think they were doing rain dances that norning too!

Flyers got the budget past?

Time to get over it....there is always next year.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:56 AM

815 posts, read 2,051,606 times
And you work ~185, no weekends, nights, or holidays. Every summer and vacation time is automatically off. You work about 185 days compared to about 240 days for the average F/T employee. And your crying about "prep" time?

It is you who are crying. I would cry too, if democracy did not work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island