Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 AM

280 posts, read 247,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1
Yea, but you're in SC. I'd rather pay $20k in taxes on LI than live tax free in SC. How's dem grits?

I have to ask you....When was the last time you were in SC?

So you know all about SC and California too?
Aside from being a pathetic attempt to pick a fight, why on earth would you ask me if I know all about SC and California? I don't have to "know all about" an area to know I'd prefer to live where I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 AM

306 posts, read 689,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Aside from being a pathetic attempt to pick a fight, why on earth would you ask me if I know all about SC and California? I don't have to "know all about" an area to know I'd prefer to live where I am.
I am not trying to pick a fight. I am just asking if you have knowledge about the places you are so desperate not to live. I also loved living on LI until I began to travel. I had no desire to move until I saw LI from the outside. So I ask “What does LI really have that is worth the insane cost of living on it?”

Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 AM

152 posts, read 547,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
No, I think he gets it. Just look at every other thread on this board where he is complaining about Long Island. It's a classic case of "I can talk bad about my home, but you don't live here so you can't".
That's true. Now lots of concern about possible school district changes/rising taxes where he lives. But the rest of us should just shut up and take it.

Memo: if you buy a house on Long Island, your taxes WILL go up astronomically at some point. Even in RP.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:30 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,021,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Exactly ; )

BTW no offense, but show me someone who cant find a decent affordable home on LI and Ill show you a snob or a liar.

Its amazing what the Me Generation did to its kids here while they were out snorting blow and chasing their own shallow pursuits.

As earlier stated, LI is full of weak entitled kids who think LI owes them a House (or more accurately a McMansion)just because they were born here.

Im glad the reckoning has occurred. We needed to put a line in the sand. Let em go...they'll realize soon enough that a home is more than a house and a community is more than a town.

There's still some magic in the mist here.
I say go find some and tackle it to the ground even if its more modest than what your folks had.Find your happy place...we did.

If you cant ...move on.
No judgments.

We'll see ya soon enough...or maybe not.

Peace

Crooks
This line of thinking is getting real old... Think about what you're saying - your entire argument is boiling down to the fact that LI is "affordable" and that anyone who doesn't think so is a "snob or a liar". Dude - open your eyes! How can you ignore the entitlements from those who are holding the decent housing stock hostage? They're all justified I guess - they're not selfish charging a ridiculous price because "there's magic in the mist". I mean - just wow.

There's not just those 3bed bungalows you like to link as "deals" and then boom you go up to McMansions... Why do you conveniently ignore that there's tons of housing stock in between. They're "weak entitled kids" because they don't want to buy your scraps at top dollar for the median salary in the area? It's a very bad situation and ignoring it is a serious mistake IMO.

You may be glad now that the "reckoning has occurred"... Just be careful what you wish for. Just watch and see who is going to start buying all that "affordable" housing you claim to be worth it. A change is coming that I don't think you'll be happy about.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,131 times
You got it. LI is the best place on earth. Living in a mud hut here that costs 750,000 paying 20K in taxes is well worth it!

Old 06-01-2010, 09:00 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,271 times
Quote:
I am not trying to pick a fight. I am just asking if you have knowledge about the places you are so desperate not to live. I also loved living on LI until I began to travel. I had no desire to move until I saw LI from the outside. So I ask “What does LI really have that is worth the insane cost of living on it?”
It's a suburb of the "greatest city in the world" with the most corrupt political system in the COUNTRY! Why WOULDN'T anyone want to live there?? HAHA! It is comedic seeing how native LI'ers keep defending their turf. They have to! They LIVE there! I know all about. Lived there my whole life until 6 years ago. And yes, LI'ers have a superiority complex that is second to none in the USA.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
It's a suburb of the "greatest city in the world" with the most corrupt political system in the COUNTRY! Why WOULDN'T anyone want to live there?? HAHA! It is comedic seeing how native LI'ers keep defending their turf. They have to! They LIVE there! I know all about. Lived there my whole life until 6 years ago. And yes, LI'ers have a superiority complex that is second to none in the USA.
And the non-LIers have to bash it, because, THEY LEFT THERE.

I'm sorry you couldn't afford it here Peter. Best of luck wherever you landed.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Being a suburb of NYC is a major factor. NYC has opportunities that don't exist elsewhere. That's the biggest driver. All the secondary stuff (great boating, vineyards, the food, the history, the population density - I appreciate it, the schools, the low crime for a relatively large area, the 4 seasons, etc). The secondary stuff can be reproduced (mostly) elsewhere, but not the primary driver.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:15 AM

22,664 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
I'm sorry you couldn't afford it here Peter. .
You keep telling yourself that's why people are leaving. Whatever makes you feel better

Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You keep telling yourself that's why people are leaving. Whatever makes you feel better
Actually affordability is the #1 reason. But hey, you were stupid enough to buy in garden city and now complain about the taxes

How about a new concept - buy what you can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island