Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:50 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
What about all of those who didn't vote? How do they feel? See, that's what you have to prove, otherwise your inference that LIers are OK with the education costs is wrong.
Uhh, they obviously didn't care either way since they didn't go out and vote.

If they did care, their concern was not stronger than their concern to get rained on. Negligible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:52 PM

280 posts, read 247,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Uhh, they obviously didn't care either way since they didn't go out and vote.

If they did care, their concern was not stronger than their concern to get rained on. Negligible.
Oh ok, so they didn't care... what facts do you have to back that up? How do you know indifference related to the costs of education is the reason they didn't vote?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Oh ok, so they didn't care... what facts do you have to back that up? How do you know indifference related to the costs of education is the reason they didn't vote?
I'm done feeding you. You are getting ridiculous. The fact is they did not feel the urge to vote.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,373 times
Default You are wrong.

Quote:
What about all of those who didn't vote? How do they feel? See, that's what you have to prove, otherwise your inference that LIers are OK with the education costs is wrong.
That puts presumption on the side of the affirmative - and there it never belongs.

You are indicting the status quo.

The status quo indicates that the manner with which we officially gauge public sentiment is with a vote. Whereas she has empirical measure on her side, you've somehow divined the "actual" support.

Well, looking into your crystal ball and find Amelia Earhart too, while yer at it?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Whereas she has empirical measure on her side, you've somehow divined the "actual" support.
"She"???

Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
That puts presumption on the side of the person affirmative - and there it never belongs.

You are indicting the status quo.

The status quo indicates that the manner with which we officially gauge public sentiment is with a vote. Whereas she has empirical measure on her side, you've somehow divined the "actual" support.

Well, looking into your crystal ball and find Amelia Earhart too, while yer at it?
Since when does a school vote in which what, 3-5% of those eligible to vote actually vote constitute public sentiment? Yikes... I hope you aren't a product of LI public education.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Since when does a school vote in which what, 3-5% of those eligible to vote actually vote constitute public sentiment? Yikes... I hope you aren't a product of LI public education.
Uh, since modern democracy was put into place.

We (read: statisticians) know that 100% voter turnout is never going to happen. You can't somehow try to figure out what the people who didn't vote, would have voted, unless you explicitly asked them. I didn't, did you?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,373 times
Default Good use of ad hominem

Quote:
The only operationalization of public sentiment that counts is the vote.

There are "ideal" measures and "functional" measures. She and I use functional measures - the only one that law and precedent care about.

You keep using Fox News polls.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Uh, since modern democracy was put into place.

We (read: statisticians) know that 100% voter turnout is never going to happen. You can't somehow try to figure out what the people who didn't vote, would have voted, unless you explicitly asked them. I didn't, did you?
So you (statistician) can say that the turnout is statistically significant? Please do so, I need another good laugh.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:02 PM

Default More nonsense, lay off the pipe

Quote:
The only operationalization of public sentiment that counts is the vote.

There are "ideal" measures and "functional" measures. She and I use functional measures - the only one that law and precedent care about.

You keep using Fox News polls.
Fox news? Take your hate elsewhere, I never mentioned any party affiliation or fox news. You have issues pal.

You can use your functional measure all you want, it is not a significant sample size to make the assertion that LIers are OK with education expenses, no ifs ands or buts about it. You and Kay are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island