Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:11 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
$250,000 is a lot of money if you're only making 50K a year, though. As with every discussion on this topic, it's all relative.
Relatively speaking, median income vs. median income the 250K home is far more affordable then the LI home. Taxes, oil, electric, state income tax, insurance, etc add up.

And yes Clark, shadow inventory is a vain attempt by the realtors and the banks to stop the decline in home sale prices. Between the Feds changing foreclosure rules and the banks granting leinency to help people can stay in their homes up to a year without paying a dime. My wife and I were discussing it yesterday. Buy a big home you want to redo but could never afford, never pay a penny towards mortgage, gut the home, wait for a foreclosure, then buy it for pennies on the dollar. $3,000/month x 12 months is 36,000 on top of a home whos price would be reduced by half due to gutting and your saving a couple of hundred dollars when you look at the life of a loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 02:47 PM

58 posts, read 165,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
I never liked Long Island. It was ok in the winter, but the summers were terrible. I could not wait to get out of there. I left after high school and only went back to visit family. It's been about 6 years since I've been there. There is nothing I like about LI.

I'm sure LI thinks the feeling is mutual

Old 06-02-2010, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,605 times
Unhappy back to long island

Hey gypsysoul! how would you like to be stuck in union co., tennessee? I left my beautiful long island for the army in 1970. Lived in massapequa from birth '52-1960: then lindenhurst. been everywhere 15yrs. of army can take you. now i feel too old to move again. go back gypsysoul; and take a piece of me with you!

Old 06-02-2010, 03:44 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
There are different tax rates for commercial, first and second home owners. I have family who run a business near a ski town. Their property (commercial) is taxed like crazy. This falling down shack that is next door (1st home) is taxed at a much lower rate. The big ski houses are all taxed at a rate that I think is even higher than the commercial rate. Makes it very, very hard to run a successful business there. Plus despite the lack of jobs, it is really hard to find people to work up there, especially in skilled trades. If you need a plumber, you're screwed. You can call someone. They might show up.

Another part of the problem is that the taxes collected in ski towns don't stay in ski towns. For example, if you own a slopeside home on Stratton or Okemo, your taxes go into a central pool which funds all schools in the state. These ski towns are like "Gold Towns" and it helps to allow the rest of the small towns in the state to have local schools. Which in some cases are almost empty!

Anyway, this is getting OT, but I feel for you GypsySoul. VT can be a real pain with the whole flatlander BS. It's a lovely state but I could never live there.
I am a non resident homeowner in a gold town. Non resident homeowners are taxed at a rate higher than residents, but it is not hugely significant percentage (works out to a few hundred a year.) Everyone's taxes (not just those of the slopeside owners) go into the state pool for redistribution.

IMHO Act 60 really fudged things up.

I am providing this link in case anyone is interested in the nightmare which is Act 60
Laws & Regulations : Act 60 Fact Sheet

With regard to higher taxes on luxury ski homes, I am not certain they are paying higher than those with second homes, but know for certain that non residents are certainly paying more. I will have to backtrack through several years of the VPOR to look into this.

Sorry to go OT

Old 06-02-2010, 04:25 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Awesome.

Were considering buying a 2nd property.
Just not in Great Neck or Huntington....maybe Greenport.

You coming back from Short Pump if it comes down?

Crooks
It's doable. I'd go for a second home to summer on the Island, just lower the taxes and find me a place with a private beach. I've got my eye on CSH.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:39 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,815 times
Yes OBH, exactly. There are three tax categories. Commercial, resident (which I referred to as 1st homes) and non-resident (2nd homes).

Totally agree re: Act 60. What a mess.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:47 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
It's doable. I'd go for a second home to summer on the Island, just lower the taxes and find me a place with a private beach. I've got my eye on CSH.

Thatd be a good find...Id check out Crab meadow too.

Croosk

Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Here's the crazy thing Crooks, at this point by not living on the Island we're actually in a better financial position to move back if we wanted to. In some cases I could even keep Short Pump Acres. My friends who stayed are just scraping by making ends meet, and a few are worried about the decrease in housing prices. A few others are hunkering down for a long haul before they can either move up or out.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
First off, thanks to anyone reading this thread.
Thank you for your comments Bee. Being in VT part time you do understand how things work here.

You guys in Long Island--we wound up here because we HAD to move. We were having issues with finding a place (we looked in several areas of NH for a few years and wound up here because we were desperate to get our son into a school before the new year). If we didn't move, and try it, we would have always wondered..

I had NO IDEA how tough the job market was in Vermont. Unlike a lot of people, we never had summer vacations or trips to this area. We moved here because it looked like a nice place to raise our son. I was sick of the crime, the break ins and 'home invasions' on LI. I got totally fed up with a lot of things and after looking ALL OVER the USA, we decided to go for it up in New England.

I didn't have any delusions about 'snow covered bridges' or what-have-you. I just wanted a simple place to raise our child and enjoy life. We never had the $$ to keep up with people on Long Island, so we thought Vermont would be better.

Stupidly I thought some small town would be 'more welcoming' and 'we'd have no trouble getting jobs' being from savvy NY. My husband was lucky to hook up something pretty quickly but it was very hard for me. I eventually landed a temp job but that ended in six months.

Any good jobs here are hard to dig up. Jobs you guys would laugh at are considered 'great' here. (supermarkets/gas stations). Part time jobs get snapped up (paying $8/hr). You see ADULTS over 60-70 years old working in the supermarket bagging. It's depressing. Is Long Island like that?

People are either professors and doctors and do VERY well (thus being big fish in small ponds, going on about 'how great it is here') or live on the edges, sucking tourist dollars and waiting for their disability or state aid checks.

There is a big under current of 'rip off' the tourists. Thus prices are jacked up far higher than they should be for a town no where in the middle of no place, USA. People get by simply running scams or knowing someone who knows someone.

Mentally I can't be around this sort of environment anymore. If I hear about 'diversity' one more time (there is none) I will scream.

I don't wish to run down Vermont. It's got some fine points and I wish it would have worked out. I would have dealt with the negatives if we could have made it financially, but I know I am not alone. Plenty of people DO leave here because of money issues.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If you move anywhere without secure employment or cash in the bank, you're probably making a mistake. New England is no exception, and in fact unless you are near Boston, it's been a bad place to find employment for a very long time. Not putting anyone's decision down, if I came upon 500K I could probably get by buying a 200K house in the middle of nowhere and living off the rest while working odd jobs. But going anywhere with nothing is a bad idea.
We had cash but after 3 years and me unable to find steady work, it is drained. The fact we have ANYTHING after being here is miraculous. Let is also be known this area is on par for food prices with my old town in NY. And we haven't the healthy competition of four supermarkets. We have 2 and if you don't like it, you drive to the nearest Walmart 40 minute away.

I just feel like we payed our dues here and after review, it's not the place for us. Where is, I don't know, but I am cured of rural living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island