U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 31,058,558 times

Advertisements

If you have a racist and/or xenophobic bent, don't come to Valley Stream.

If you are not and are an open-minded couple who appreciate being around people of different cultures (in addition to the typical "whites of european descent"), you will actually find a lot to like about Valley Stream, particularly the Village.

DM me for more information if you are interested.

As for your other choices, I think they are all okay and safe, except I don't know a lot about Island Park.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 PM

280 posts, read 218,470 times
Malverne may be of interest. There's a nice little downtown area of that village.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:17 PM

2,845 posts, read 9,812,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanny200 View Post
My husband and I relocating from Philadelphia and have some questions about:

Franklin Square
Valley Stream
Island Park
Floral Park

School districts are not a concern. Are these areas nice and safe? Prefer any areas over the others?

Thank you!
Floral Park is by far the nicest out of those (IMO), but all of them are nice places to live. Safe as can be, if schools don't matter it really comes down to personal preference and what you're looking to spend.

So how much are you looking to spend? You can swing Franklin Square or Valley Stream on around $350k, but Floral Park is more like $500+ with maybe a few homes now showing up slightly under that.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Floral Park is by far the nicest out of those (IMO), but all of them are nice places to live. Safe as can be, if schools don't matter it really comes down to personal preference and what you're looking to spend.

So how much are you looking to spend? You can swing Franklin Square or Valley Stream on around $350k, but Floral Park is more like $500+ with maybe a few homes now showing up slightly under that.
It's actually less expensive than you think in Floral Park. On MLSLI, S. Floral Park has 1 home for sale for $299K. Floral Park in Nassau County has 51 homes for sale, with 35 of those homes being priced under $500K. The lowest priced house is $320K and the highest priced house is a 2008 7BR/5.5BA McMansion with $28K annual taxes for $1,100,000. The next highest priced house after this is a house built in 2009 for $799K, then the price point drops further to $699K for a house built in 1951.

Interesting notes on Floral Park for OP: There is a part of Floral Park that is in NYC (the Borough of Queens).

My favorite part of Floral Park would be the Village section. That is where the higher pricing comes into play. If the OP is looking to spend $500K or more, that would be my first choice. The rest of Floral Park (plus FP in Queens) doesn't seem that attractive to me. My second choice (and the first choice if the OP wants to spend less than $500K) would be Village, Westwood, Millbrook or Gibson sections of Valley Stream. My third choice would be Franklin Square, but I don't know what neighborhoods are good over there. Probably the part closest to Stewart Manor but the prices might be similar to Village of Floral Park anyway. My fourth choice would be Island Park. Some streets in Island Park have a problem with flooding, so the OP should beware of that. There are also a lot of tiny homes that used to be summer houses on tiny lots (even some homes that don't have driveways), so while it may look inexpensive, you may still not be getting much for your money.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:59 AM

9,341 posts, read 27,534,573 times
Default MLSLI.com

Oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 06-03-2010, 12:55 PM

1,900 posts, read 6,647,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
My favorite part of Floral Park would be the Village section. That is where the higher pricing comes into play. If the OP is looking to spend $500K or more, that would be my first choice. The rest of Floral Park (plus FP in Queens) doesn't seem that attractive to me. .
I would not recommend anywhere but within the Village, nassau county of Floral Park to the OP.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:12 PM

9,341 posts, read 27,534,573 times
Default A map of the Village of Floral Park in the Town of North Hempstead and the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County

A map of the Village of Floral Park in the Town of North Hempstead and the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/Floral-park-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Floral Park is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where many of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places with a "Floral Park, NY 11001" mailing address that are not in the Village of Floral Park are in the Village of South Floral Park, the Village of Bellerose, the Hamlet of Bellerose Terrace, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park and the Hamlet of Elmont.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:16 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,144,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If you have a racist and/or xenophobic bent, don't come to Valley Stream.

If you are not and are an open-minded couple who appreciate being around people of different cultures (in addition to the typical "whites of european descent"), you will actually find a lot to like about Valley Stream, particularly the Village.

DM me for more information if you are interested.

As for your other choices, I think they are all okay and safe, except I don't know a lot about Island Park.
I think you can interpret that to mean Valley Stream has received an influx of minorities from Queens in the past few years and is now a "diverse" community. Soon it will be called a changing commmunity. Ultimately it will be a busy precinct for NCPD.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:28 PM

280 posts, read 218,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I think you can interpret that to mean Valley Stream has received an influx of minorities from Queens in the past few years and is now a "diverse" community. Soon it will be called a changing commmunity. Ultimately it will be a busy precinct for NCPD.
LOL you are hilarious

Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Actually, minorities from all over. Not just blacks from Queens or anywhere else for that matter. (There I said it.) Even the 'good' minorities such as Indians, Chinese, etc. Even though we have Hispanics, there are no illegal alien colonies/flophouses either! Would you believe they are actually married with kids and own their own homes? How weird is that?

You'd be really disappointed in the blacks here. They are actually of a middle class mindset. I drove by one standing by his driveway sweeping the street with a large broom and a dustpan on a stick. He was dressed in a shirt and trousers that fit and no doo rag on his head! What is the world coming to?

What's really funny is all the Long Islanders moving out of here. Wait until they get to their new subdivisions out of state and find ***horrors*** that everyone is not white and they may actually have to live next to a minority family ... even a black or hispanic one!!!!

Oddly enough, off Long Island, a person can actually be a minority (even a black or hispanic one) and still be middle class and a non-criminal.

Yes, blacks and hispanics who are assumed innocent (middle class non-criminals) instead of guilty (as they are by too many white LI'ers).

But I will have to forgive your ignorance, as you live in Massapequa Park and have been drinking the water there I guess. LOL!

As per your posts:

//www.city-data.com/forum/13159459-post21.html

Quote:
Illegal or not, the Real Estate agents will do their best not to show you houses in certain areas. If you have specific houses from a listing, I suppose they will have to take you there. I know that in Massapequa you will be steered probably to East Massapequa which is a more "diverse" (god, I hate that PC word) area.
//www.city-data.com/forum/13973961-post2.html

Quote:
Well, I live in Massapequa Park..couple of towns over from Wantagh. I can't speak about Wantagh specifically but I can say that the "Italian Riviera of the Great South Bay"...the area from Bellmore to Massapequa Park...is not known for its diversity or is it populated by those who are seeking a diverse community. My guess is neighbors will be tolerant but probably not all that welcoming.
//www.city-data.com/forum/13157247-post10.html to a self-professed "African American" --

Quote:
I'm quite sure if you looked in Massapequa, Massapequa Park, Bellmore, Seaford or Merrick, as one posters suggested, you will have difficulty finding a Real Estate agent that would be co-opertive with your search for a home.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 06-03-2010 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island