Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times

Advertisements

All the childrens field trips in the Islip school district are "educational field trips".

I think people are not saying the trips should be free, but should be included in your $9,000 tax bill. Along with school supplies!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 02:25 PM

59 posts, read 91,110 times
To run a modest field trip, like the aquarium or DNA learning center, for my team of students (4 classes), it is over a thousand dollars just for the program/admission, and that doesn't include another thousand or so for buses.

Our school kicks in $800 for buses each year, but that is more than used up in one field trip.

The new wellness policies in schools put great limitations on fundraising opportunities, and the ones that reamain (Avon, etc,) are not big money makers.

Griping about paying for a field trip is sort of pushing it, don't you think?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:27 PM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times
I've been involved with the district for almost 30 years and NEVER heard of any law stating that field trips shouldn't be paid for by the students!

Can you imagine if schools had to provide for this in the budget? There wouldn't be any trips anymore!

If I get some time later I'll see if I can find any info on this "law".

Old 06-03-2010, 02:40 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsay View Post
This information was given to me by a good friend who happens to be an attorney at a large LI firm that specializes in education law. Judging by the responses here it seems to be one of those laws that are simply ignored by an industry based on the fact that everyone seems to do it. At least that's my opinion.
I would really love to see this law since they've been charging for field trips for a long, long time as others have noted. I'm sure your friend won't mind giving you the appropriate law to post here.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:47 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiceChianti View Post
To run a modest field trip, like the aquarium or DNA learning center, for my team of students (4 classes), it is over a thousand dollars just for the program/admission, and that doesn't include another thousand or so for buses.

Our school kicks in $800 for buses each year, but that is more than used up in one field trip.

The new wellness policies in schools put great limitations on fundraising opportunities, and the ones that reamain (Avon, etc,) are not big money makers.

Griping about paying for a field trip is sort of pushing it, don't you think?
Wellness policies?...is that some sort of PC verbiage for forbidding those dangerous cupcake sales?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Wellness policies?...is that some sort of PC verbiage for forbidding those dangerous cupcake sales?
You got it!

Old 06-03-2010, 03:07 PM
grant516

n/a posts
I know it is against the law to mandate a paid field trip as part of a school curriculum.

i.e. - the kid can't be penalized for not being able to afford to go.

As for charging for a field trip- in all reality, the district isn't charging the kids- the field trip location is. If the rented bus costs $3 and the musem costs $9- the school collects the money and the other groups are paid. The school itself cannot over collect, and if a student does not show up, they are entitled to be refunded- this can sometimes hurt group pricing, and in all cases I know of- usually the teacher or field trip coordinator ends up having to foot the bill.

Chaperones- even overnight ones (who are paid) must come from a general fund- not individual field trip collections.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:12 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
It forces candy/bake sales to times in which school lunch is not available- which is a more challenging time to sell.
Also some school have policies forbidding the sale/distribution of candy (aside from as a reward incentive), sugars, sodas, etc.

Door to door is highly discouraged these days too.

The state has also come in and started demanding many fund-raiser sales are taxable, and thus need to be remitted to NYS.
For example, a candy bar sale after school must be taxed and sent to NY; even with schools 501(c) non-profit status. Bake sales, you may be happy to know, are excluded from this.

I remember the ever-popular bumper sticker in Santa Cruz-
Let the air force hold a bake sale to buy their bomber.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:12 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiceChianti View Post
You got it!
Who makes these ridiculous policies?

Old 06-03-2010, 03:21 PM

I'm sure the procedure is different in all districts, but at mine the wellness policy was designed by a district-mandated committee of volunteers chaired by a member of the phys. ed. department (but including teachers from various disciplines). I know their heart was in the right place, but the details are sometimes a bit over-the-top. For example, the chemistry teachers used to do a nice lab where the kids made ice cream by hand in class (with regular milk, not cream) as an illustration of the concept of freezing-point depression. They are forbidden to do it now, even if all parents give their signed consent, since it violates the wellness policy. Again, I understand the point of the whole thing, but this seems a little draconian.

Sorry to get off topic. I just meant that these policies can interfere with a lot of options for fundraising to defer the costs of field trips for parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: