Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:10 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times

Advertisements

Just researching high schools in these areas. Right now our kids are in parochial but we just cannot do parochial high school ; would cost about $20,000 per year for the two kids for 4 years.

So anyhow, we are throwing around the idea of moving from Longwood into these areas for high schools. We have 3 years so plenty of time. While we do not want to move, we also figure that if we can have the kids in a smaller high school, its their future that is important.

any opinions or ideas? Yes, I did look up Rocky Point also but it would add 30 mins to my dh's commute each way.

Thanks
d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:05 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Just researching high schools in these areas. Right now our kids are in parochial but we just cannot do parochial high school ; would cost about $20,000 per year for the two kids for 4 years.

So anyhow, we are throwing around the idea of moving from Longwood into these areas for high schools. We have 3 years so plenty of time. While we do not want to move, we also figure that if we can have the kids in a smaller high school, its their future that is important.

any opinions or ideas? Yes, I did look up Rocky Point also but it would add 30 mins to my dh's commute each way.

Thanks
d

I love all three....and Rocky Point too.

I find Bayport/Blue Point to be beautiful but quite a bit overpriced so Id probably opt for W Sayville (which can be a better buy for the area)

I guess youre afraid of Longwood schools, thats a shame, I have some friends who are pretty happy.Whats going on over there?

Crooks

Old 06-06-2010, 12:35 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Nothing that I know of is going on in Longwood ; I am sure its ok. Its just a personal preference that my dh and I have that our kids go to a smaller school ; thats all. I would rather them go to a school with 700-1000 kids than over 3000 kids.

just us.
d

Old 06-06-2010, 01:31 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Nothing that I know of is going on in Longwood ; I am sure its ok. Its just a personal preference that my dh and I have that our kids go to a smaller school ; thats all. I would rather them go to a school with 700-1000 kids than over 3000 kids.

just us.
d

I tend to agree... I like a smaller SD as well.

Good luck in your hunt.

Crooks

Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
I hear such great things about both areas....I would purchase in either one personally.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:10 AM

270 posts, read 964,222 times
We just bought in Sayville back in November. It really is a great area! We love it here! We don't have kids, but we hear nothing but good things about the schools.

You can send me a message if you have any questions...:-)

Old 06-07-2010, 01:56 PM

149 posts, read 345,347 times
I think that bayport & bluepoint DO NOT HAVE BUS SERVICE sayville does...my friend had 5 children and had to drive them all to school then pick them up - not easy is you have more than one. If that doesnt bother you...all those schools are great.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:44 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcba View Post
I think that bayport & bluepoint DO NOT HAVE BUS SERVICE sayville does...my friend had 5 children and had to drive them all to school then pick them up - not easy is you have more than one. If that doesnt bother you...all those schools are great.
Bayport Bluepoint doesn't have buses, and the taxes are absolutely atrocious.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:11 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Bayport Bluepoint doesn't have buses, and the taxes are absolutely atrocious.
Really? I'm surprised because the busing issue came up here in Garden City after the budget defeat and someone said busing is mandated by state law. Could this school district be in violation of the law? Here in GC they had to change busing last year because we were busing kids who live too close to school - in violation of state law. Interesting.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:29 PM

17 posts, read 45,597 times
Just to address the issue of bus service for a moment if I may: The BBP school district absolutely has bus service. Any one who has EVER said that is mistaken. Most districts on Long Island have provisions for allowing bus service for distances closer than the state minimum for distance to school. BBP did not until this year. Due to the small size of the district most students did not live far enough away from the elementary schools they attend to make bussing mandatory. The district has also now passed a resolution in the past two budgets that allow for students who live within the state minimum to get busses.
As an aside, and I know this doesn't work for everyone, but the lack of busses I feel lends itself to making friends with the neighbors. We all drive out kids to school on any given day. It's kind of cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island