Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:42 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybellegirls View Post
Having explored Floral Park Village today, I must say it was the loveliest of the few surrounding areas we've been considering. The yards were tidy, the grass a healthy shade of green, the sidewalks were clean, I mean "terrific" curb appeal! Granted the houses were a little close together, yet it all fell into the *charm* requirements I've got on my list of wants. I was surprised at how different New Hyde Park felt in comparison, and it was quieter (considering it was 2pm). Not that NHP was ugly, it just felt different, perhaps I noticed it was not as richly hewed with large shade trees. Okay, so I like trees. The only other area I've seen so far that I like is Northport.
NHP is very low on trees, becoming more and more McMansion and concrete filled, Queens like IMO.

Floral Park is tree city...they are very big on greenery and planting trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,642 times
I grew up in Elmont. I went to Sewanhaka H.S. and then moved to Garden City Park. So I am familiar with some of the areas you are questioning. Herricks has a very good school district with very high taxes Floral Park is another great area, the schools are great and there is a real sense of a close knit community there. Parts of Floral Park can be Queens and also S.Floral Park attend the Sewanhaka school district, I would opt for the Floral Park school district. Sewanhaka HS was good when I went there many years ago and not so good now. My kids went to Garden City Park elementary (loved it) and had great teachers and small class sizes from there they attended New Hyde Park Memorial(part of Sewanhaka CHSD). Like I said I would chose NHP Memorial over Sewanhaka as my main HS. Garden City is also an excellent school district but for me it's too much keeping up with the Jones'. What areas or sections of these neighborhoods are you interested in?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2LITA View Post
Parts of Floral Park can be Queens ...
No part of the Village of Floral Park is in the New York City Borough of Queens (coterminous with the New York State County of Queens).

Old 08-13-2010, 07:49 PM

175 posts, read 637,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2LITA View Post
I grew up in Elmont. I went to Sewanhaka H.S. and then moved to Garden City Park. So I am familiar with some of the areas you are questioning. Herricks has a very good school district with very high taxes Floral Park is another great area, the schools are great and there is a real sense of a close knit community there. Parts of Floral Park can be Queens and also S.Floral Park attend the Sewanhaka school district, I would opt for the Floral Park school district. Sewanhaka HS was good when I went there many years ago and not so good now. My kids went to Garden City Park elementary (loved it) and had great teachers and small class sizes from there they attended New Hyde Park Memorial(part of Sewanhaka CHSD). Like I said I would chose NHP Memorial over Sewanhaka as my main HS. Garden City is also an excellent school district but for me it's too much keeping up with the Jones'. What areas or sections of these neighborhoods are you interested in?
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to respond. Luckily I still have the luxury of time to decide, since I won't move until next summer. I'm leaning mostly towards western Garden City at this point, but do still love Floral Park too -- just wish they had a middle school as opposed to combined middle/high. Also wish they had bigger properties. If I'm careful, I should be ok with taxes.

My husband and I also happened to drive through East Williston last night -- very nice! I ran a search on East Williston topics and it seems very similar to Garden City in many ways. So I'd like stick to Western GC right now just because I'm familiar with the area and wouldn't be too jarring a move from Stewart Manor.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:42 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsalex View Post
My husband and I also happened to drive through East Williston last night -- very nice! I ran a search on East Williston topics and it seems very similar to Garden City in many ways. So I'd like stick to Western GC right now just because I'm familiar with the area and wouldn't be too jarring a move from Stewart Manor.
East Williston is nice but lacks a village or downtown like GC has.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:02 PM

175 posts, read 637,783 times
Good point twingles!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:09 PM

147 posts, read 543,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
NHP is very low on trees, becoming more and more McMansion and concrete filled, Queens like IMO.

Floral Park is tree city...they are very big on greenery and planting trees.
Go to the Oaks section of NHP and you'll see as many towering trees as you want among the McMansion dormered capes. Then come back and tell me if you still like Floral Park more than NHP...

Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsalex View Post
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to respond. Luckily I still have the luxury of time to decide, since I won't move until next summer. I'm leaning mostly towards western Garden City at this point, but do still love Floral Park too -- just wish they had a middle school as opposed to combined middle/high. Also wish they had bigger properties. If I'm careful, I should be ok with taxes.

Of course East Williston and Garden City are much nicer than Floral Park. You are comparing two different price points. Its like saying Gucci and Louis Vutton are much nicer than Old Navy. There is no comparison. There are houses in East Williston and Garden City that are way over 1 million dollars whereas Floral Park is $400-500K. A better comparison would be to compare Floral Park with Bellerose...

Old 08-21-2010, 09:30 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhasset hills1 View Post
Go to the Oaks section of NHP ...
Is the Oaks section in the Village of New Hyde Park or in the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park?

Old 08-22-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Is the Oaks section in the Village of New Hyde Park or in the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park?
I would say the Oaks section is loosely defined as: Northern border is Hillside Avenue, Western border is New Hyde Park Rd, Eastern border is North Hempstead Park and the Southern border is Jasmine Avenue. If there are any readers out there who actually live in the Oaks section and can more precisely define the borders please let me know. The Oaks section is really beautiful with tall mature trees.
Mr Greenspan, I will let you determine if it is the Village or Hamlet of NHP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island