U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 10:26 AM

17 posts, read 122,180 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

My husband, son, and I are taking a trip from Long Island to Michigan in late September, early October. To get to Michigan, we're going to be taking I-80. Coming back from Michigan, we plan on driving through Canada and upstate New York. The planned route that Google Maps gave me to come back to Long Island would have me driving over the GW Bridge, through the Cross Bronx, and south through the Van Wyck. However, I'm not sure that this is the best route. I've been lucky once with traffic on the Cross Bronx and GW. The last time I went to Jersey via the Van Wyck and Cross Bronx, we hit heavy traffic at every point, and it was 1:00 in the afternoon! It ended up taking over 2 hours to get there.

We don't know what time of day we'd be coming out of upstate, but we would try our hardest for it to be out of high peak traffic times. Not counting rush hour, does anybody have alternate routes that might be quicker? I don't care if it's a little bit out of the way if it means not getting stuck in hours of traffic after over 12 hours of driving. Would going through 87 to 287 to 95 to the Cross Island be any faster and avoid the mess?

In relation to this, does anybody have any ideas about what would be the fastest way to get to I-80 from Long Island? I found that taking the Belt Prkwy to the Verrazano through Staten Island into Jersey was faster and had less mess and traffic than going up to the GWB. Even though it's a little bit more out of the way and less direct than the GW to I-80, would it still be faster and avoid most of the traffic? We plan on leaving Long Island between 12:00 and 1:00 PM, so we figure that traffic should be a little bit lower at that point. Also, there isn't as much construction going on on the Belt as there is along Van Wyck and the Cross Bronx. I'm open to alternatives, though!!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 AM

21,763 posts, read 33,185,452 times
There are so many options....I went to school upstate and I've probably tried everyone. You can take the thruway then go over the Tappan Zee bridge and take 287 to 95 south, over the Throgs Neck. You can take 84 to 684 to the Hutch and go over the Whitestone. You could take the Taconic ... that's how my friend always drove us. I guess the best thing is to bring a map and listen to traffic reports.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:56 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,035,200 times
I think it would also depend on where on LI you live - I wouldnt drive form the north shore to the Belt to go back up northwhen I hit NJ. I make it rule to never use the Cross Bronx Expressway. Some people may disagree but if I am going for the GWB I usually take the Cross Island all the way to the end by LGA and take the GCP to the Tri-Borough - sometimes to 87 or sometimes into Manhattan and up the Harlem River Dr. I am not a huge fan of going the Verazzano route unless I am going south of the city. If the trip is in October make sure you take into account that there will be Yankee games (playoffs) which make the Bx even worse to drive through. You should have no problems in Queens as the Mets should be done by then.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:08 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,012,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I think it would also depend on where on LI you live - I wouldnt drive form the north shore to the Belt to go back up northwhen I hit NJ. I make it rule to never use the Cross Bronx Expressway. Some people may disagree but if I am going for the GWB I usually take the Cross Island all the way to the end by LGA and take the GCP to the Tri-Borough - sometimes to 87 or sometimes into Manhattan and up the Harlem River Dr. I am not a huge fan of going the Verazzano route unless I am going south of the city. If the trip is in October make sure you take into account that there will be Yankee games (playoffs) which make the Bx even worse to drive through. You should have no problems in Queens as the Mets should be done by then.
Hahahah, I'm a Mets fan but I had to LOL at that nicely played jab.

The Cross Bronx sucks, but going that route you mentioned (Grand Central->Triborough->Major Deegan or Harlem River Drive) is usually just as brutal except late at night.

IMO, from the NY Thruway, the best way to get to Long Island is the one mentioned in the OP (87->Tappan-Zee Bridge/287->I95->Throgs Neck Bridge/Cross Island Parkway). If you're going this way and traffic is bad, you can also bypass I95 for the Hutch once you're on 287.

My brother lives upstate and swears by taking the Palisades->GWB->Cross Bronx but I personally think that is ridiculous. He claims he always does the trip in under 3 hours....I think he's full of it.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
My brother lives upstate and swears by taking the Palisades->GWB->Cross Bronx but I personally think that is ridiculous. He claims he always does the trip in under 3 hours....I think he's full of it.
This is ultimately how I always came home and it never took me more than 3 hours to get from just outside Albany to Huntington. It is far and away the fastest route,even with the infernal CBE.

And give Jetties a break on the job, he's a Jets fan too, after all

Old 06-07-2010, 04:54 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,035,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
This is ultimately how I always came home and it never took me more than 3 hours to get from just outside Albany to Huntington. It is far and away the fastest route,even with the infernal CBE.

And give Jetties a break on the job, he's a Jets fan too, after all
Touché Twingles, I try to make up for the Jets failures over the past 40 years by being a little more of a loudmouth Yankee fan when I get the chance

For me, I still like the Tri-borough best to go to Yankee games or any time I HAVE to go to the GWB (I commuted to W Caldwell, NJ on and off for a couple years so I tried just about every way possible). At least we all agree the CBE is probably the worst stretch of road around. If you are going further upstate then the TZ probably would be better.
[/SIZE]

Old 06-07-2010, 06:01 PM

We tried the Triboro once and I just thought the road was so boring but I do think it was pretty quick. It's good to have options, though, and there's plenty coming from upstate.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:25 PM

939 posts, read 2,556,058 times
Since I've done it MANY times, the best way to get to I-80 from LI is to leave your home between 4:00am - 5:00am and go over the Throgs Neck Bridge and across the Cross Bronx Expressway on a Sunday morning. It is by far the best choice. You can get from the Throgs Neck Bridge to the GWB in about 6 minutes, something that is impossible at just about any other time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliextrm View Post
Hey All,

My husband, son, and I are taking a trip from Long Island to Michigan in late September, early October. To get to Michigan, we're going to be taking I-80. Coming back from Michigan, we plan on driving through Canada and upstate New York. The planned route that Google Maps gave me to come back to Long Island would have me driving over the GW Bridge, through the Cross Bronx, and south through the Van Wyck. However, I'm not sure that this is the best route. I've been lucky once with traffic on the Cross Bronx and GW. The last time I went to Jersey via the Van Wyck and Cross Bronx, we hit heavy traffic at every point, and it was 1:00 in the afternoon! It ended up taking over 2 hours to get there.

We don't know what time of day we'd be coming out of upstate, but we would try our hardest for it to be out of high peak traffic times. Not counting rush hour, does anybody have alternate routes that might be quicker? I don't care if it's a little bit out of the way if it means not getting stuck in hours of traffic after over 12 hours of driving. Would going through 87 to 287 to 95 to the Cross Island be any faster and avoid the mess?

In relation to this, does anybody have any ideas about what would be the fastest way to get to I-80 from Long Island? I found that taking the Belt Prkwy to the Verrazano through Staten Island into Jersey was faster and had less mess and traffic than going up to the GWB. Even though it's a little bit more out of the way and less direct than the GW to I-80, would it still be faster and avoid most of the traffic? We plan on leaving Long Island between 12:00 and 1:00 PM, so we figure that traffic should be a little bit lower at that point. Also, there isn't as much construction going on on the Belt as there is along Van Wyck and the Cross Bronx. I'm open to alternatives, though!!

Thanks!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:15 AM

17 posts, read 122,180 times
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice. We will try as much as possible to be coming back down from upstate during peak traffic times, even if that means stopping somewhere and waiting. I'd rather do that than sit in traffic for hours.

Peter, I wish we had that option. Unfortunately, we don't. We went to Newark Airport at 10:00 in the morning through Brooklyn and Staten Island since traffic was crazy everywhere else, and it took under an hour, so I'm still keen that that's out best option even though it's a little out of the way to get to I-80.

It's funny. We're undertaking a 12 hour plus drive, and the most stressful and concerning part of it for me is figuring out how NOT to spend 2 or 3 of those hours just getting in and out of New York! It's ridiculous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island