Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:56 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Oooops!:smack:
Of course it is Walter, and I should have been more exact, my apologies :o, but it IS right next door... Am I forgiven??
How could I not?

Quote:
Just as an aside, they do call themselves "Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery and Aquarium"... Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery
That's because, they and the Cold Spring Harbor Lab, which is also in Laurel Hollow, have a "Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724" mailing address.

Likewise, Leonard's of Great Neck is in the Hamlet of University Gardens (Great Neck, NY mailing address); Manor East Massapequa is in the Hamlet of North Massapequa (Massapequa, NY mailing address); Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant is in the Hamlet of East Shoreham (Shoreham, NY mailing address); SUNY Farmingdale is in the Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY mailing address); and, the Theatre at Westbury is in the Hamlet of Jericho (Westbury, NY mailing address).

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may help those who are unfamiliar with this situation understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 06-07-2010 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
The parts of CSH I liked were really considered Lloyd harbor ...
Lloyd Harbor is a village (it's the largest village by area in Suffolk County), and is not part of the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor (it's larger than Cold Spring Harbor).

A map of the Village of Lloyd Harbor in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County:

Lloyd Harbor is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name as part of their mailing address: places in the Village of Lloyd Harbor have a "Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724" and "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:35 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Lloyd Harbor is a village (it's the largest village by area in Suffolk County), and is not part of the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor (it's larger than Cold Spring Harbor).

A map of the Village of Lloyd Harbor in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County:

Lloyd Harbor is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name as part of their mailing address: places in the Village of Lloyd Harbor have a "Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724" and "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address.
And the most northern part of Lloyd Harbor (across the causeway) is commonly referred to as "Lloyd Neck". (Not recommended for commuters )

Or is there another official explanation Walter? Always willing to learn

Old 06-07-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
And the most northern part of Lloyd Harbor (across the causeway) is commonly referred to as "Lloyd Neck". (Not recommended for commuters :D)

Or is there another official explanation Walter? Always willing to learn ;)

Yes there is an explanation, Elke; and, it's a very interesting explanation.

Prior to June 15, 1886, the Lloyd's Neck peninsula was in the Town of Oyster Bay, then in Queens County.

Quote:
Chapter 667 (page 956) of 1886
SESSION LAWS OF NEW YORK STATE

An Act to set off Lloyd's Neck
from the town of Oyster Bay, Queens county,
and annex the same to the town of Huntington, Suffolk county.

Passed June 15, 1886; three-fifths being present

The People of the State of New York, represented in Senate and Assembly, do enact as follows:

SECTION 1: All that part of the town of Oyster Bay in Queens county, known and designated in the laws of this State as Lloyd's Neck, bounded as follows: Commencing at high-water mark, west by Cold Spring Harbor and Long Island sound; north by Long Island Sound; east by Huntington bay, and southerly by the present boundary line between the towns of Huntington and Oyster Bay, is hereby set off and separated from the residue of said town of Oyster Bay, Queens county, and annexed to said town of Huntington, county of Suffolk; and from and after passage of this act the territory thus set off shall be and constitute a part of the town of Huntington and a part of the county of Suffolk.
§ 2. It shall be the duty of the supervisors of the towns of Oyster Bay and Huntington, jointly to cause a survey and maps, in triplicate, to be made of said territory thus set off, showing the alteration to the town and county boundaries and shall cause one copy of said survey and maps to be filed in the office of the Secretary of State; another copy to be filed in the clerk's office of Queens county, and the other copy to be filed in the clerk's office in the county of Suffolk.
§ 3. Richard H. Derby of Lloyd's Neck, Queens county, and George S. Downing and Clarence A. Drew of said Queens county are hereby appointed commissioners whose duty it shall be to ascertain the amount of debts, liabilities and obligations, and the value of the public buildings and other property of said county of Queens existing when this act takes effect, and the time when such debts and obligations are payable, and to fix upon a sum which will be proportionately and equitably due to the county of Queens on account thereof, from the territory so set off, basing such estimates upon the last assessed valuation of property in said Queens county, including the territory so set off, and to determine the time or times of paying the same, having due reference to the time within which such debts and liabilities of Queens county are legally payable and a just measure of annual taxation.

'
'
'

§ 7. Nothing in this act contained shall impair or affect the title or property rights which the town of Oyster Bay may have to any common property within the town of Oyster Bay, within its limits as the exist prior to the passage of this act.
§ 8. All acts or parts of acts inconsistent with this act, in so far as the same relate to or affect the territory so set off, are hereby repealed.
§ 9. This act shall take effect immediately.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM

And, Elke, even though the land was transferred, the Town of Oyster Bay continued to own the riparian rights and that's why to this day, once you step off the beach on the west coast of Lloyd's Neck you are in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County.

Riparian rights are the rights almost always owned by the sovereign to the land under the immediate offshore waters, beyond the high water mark. In New York State (and, most probably in all the United States), only the Towns of Oyster Bay (the City of Glen Cove inherited their riparian rights when it seceded from the Town of Oyster Bay), Nassau and Huntington, Suffolk have such riparian rights. (This drives New York's Secretary of State crazy!)

Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Walter, thank you for this truly interesting "bit" of information!
I might actually prepare a handout about this when doing an Open House in Lloyd Neck - sort of an "oh and did you know??"

Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:

Snobbery? You can have either old money snobbery or new money snobbery which do you prefer??

With regard to diversity--it'd be DH hands down...
LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing. I'll take old money any day of the week.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 AM

149 posts, read 317,523 times
Last night we looked at some places in Laurel Hollow. Very spacious. Maybe I'm just a simple kind of guy, but I still prefer the look of Dix Hills. Apart from everything discussed here, is there anything wrong with the town? Anyone on this forum live there?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:20 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Last night we looked at some places in Laurel Hollow. Very spacious. Maybe I'm just a simple kind of guy, but I still prefer the look of Dix Hills. Apart from everything discussed here, is there anything wrong with the town? Anyone on this forum live there?
I don't think there's anything wrong with Dix Hills. It doesn't have a "village" but if that's not important to you, then go for what YOU like. It's too much money not to be happy where you live!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:35 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
I don't live there but I have several relatives who've lived there for years so I'm somewhat familiar with it. I happen to like the area. Spacious and often private lots, large homes in appealing styles (few splits, capes, etc.), and a top notch SD.

It lacks the "charming/quaint/walkable" downtown...but it's not like there's a law saying you can't drive the 10-15 minutes up to Huntington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island