Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:09 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I've had some of the coldest best beer in dive bars... All the ones I know of closed, though. =(

I think the OP is confused and is obviously not a beer drinker... Yuengling is an American DOMESTIC beer and frankly the best. It's not like these guys walked in and ordered some crazy import.

It used to be you could only find it in the Philly / South Jersey area. It's where I was first introduced to it many, many years ago.
No..I'm not confused about the quality of Yuengling!!!!!!!!!!...gee I spelled it right.....if you ever are in Mattituck go into that bar...you will understand how any beer above Bud is total snobbery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
It's "Yuengling."

Also, if bartender is possessive, it would be bartender's. In fact, if shot, and, and beer are used together as a unit modifier, the term would be shot-and-beer place.

I'll stop there.

You're welcome.
Please stop attacking every person on this forum.

Unpublished frustrated writers are really a downer on a bulletin board.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:13 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Gunther's Tap Room in Northport, or as we call it "Club G"

Old 06-08-2010, 02:16 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
No..I'm not confused about the quality of Yuengling!!!!!!!!!!...gee I spelled it right.....if you ever are in Mattituck go into that bar...you will understand how any beer above Bud is total snobbery.
heh - ok... I guess it's "micro brew" compared to Bud! lol

Did it have the scarred up, sticky, and wide super hard wood bar with a dart board and pool table in the back?!

or are we talking like real hole in the wall?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Rotten broken down ripped chairs, a bathroom that makes Penn Station restrooms look spotless, a bartender with a huge belly and little personality, a sticky bar and plenty of grime and dirt from years of little cleaning.

Last time I was in there the patrons, some actually had teeth, were watching a Spanish language channel. Now the regulars in there barely have mastered English why would they be watching a Spanish program. Why???...because the beach pageant was on and they appreciated some good T&A...who needs audio!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:20 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Anything beyond Bud is snobbery in a dive bar.
maybe in the good old days of your youth old timer, but not today. Most local joints these days offer more than the usual from bud/coors/miller. Plenty of them will offer "more upscale" choices like Heineken, Corona, Guiness, etc. Yeungling is typically cheaper than even that group of beers.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Please go into the Broken Valise....it's a true Bud dive bar.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:50 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Was out in Mattituck with my g/f this weekend. She likes to shop at all those pathetic girlie decorating stores. In an effort to find some sort of normalcy I had a couple of beers and shots at the Broken Down Valise across from the train tracks.

Now that is a great dive bar. I particularly like it because of its entertainment value. The look in those elitist Hamptonites faces when they walk in there and realize they made a mistake.. It's even funnier when they are too embarrassed to walk out and decide to have a drink. Nothing like the look in the bartenders face when they ask if there is any YingLing on tap. It's a shot and a beer place you elitist snob.

So does anyone else have a good dive bar to discuss? Now I know there are many on here who probably don't enjoy dive bars..so many here are erudite, sophisticated and worldly..some I hear have even been to places like Philadelphia. So if you have a favorite long island dive bar lets hear about it.
Yuengling is exactly your type of beer...america's oldest domestic brew, made in the decidedly blue collar town of Pottsville Pa, and unpretentious. It got me through 4 years of undergrad in the middle of nowhere PA. You wanna talk about dive bars, try places in the middle of nowhere PA with names like the Rusty Nail and Dockside Spirits, all serving "YingLing", all being served by toothless bartenders named "Dog"...and I speak from experience. Please do not betray a fine beer with your own issues with Hamptonites, "YingLing" deserves better...

As for Dive Bar's try Beckett's Pub in Nesconset...it used to have a peer establishment called Mugg's Pub, but that closed a little over 18 months ago when a patron shot out the front window...with an aold hunting rifle...nice.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Rotten broken down ripped chairs, a bathroom that makes Penn Station restrooms look spotless, a bartender with a huge belly and little personality, a sticky bar and plenty of grime and dirt from years of little cleaning.
Sounds perfect for you. Maybe you could let your pit bull drop a load on the floor there, too.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:22 PM

432 posts, read 1,594,078 times
The "Handle Bar" in Mount Sinai was the worst I've ever seen. It was nothing but a container of lost souls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island