Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 12:23 AM

30 posts, read 117,576 times

Advertisements

"Los Angeles: city of freeways, smog, and...bike lanes? That's where Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa wants to take his town. In one of the less likely transformations in the global effort to cut carbon dioxide emissions, Los Angeles plans to spend $230 million on 1,700 miles of bicycle paths. Most of the program will be completed by 2015 and includes changing rooms, showers, and bike storage areas operated by the city and private partners. It comes on top of subsidies for installing solar panels and incentives for planting trees and switching to electric vehicles. "We have to make a change," says Michelle Mowery, senior coordinator for the bike program. "We can't fit any more cars in." "

Fighting Carbon Emissions: Cities Take the Lead - BusinessWeek [Anonymoused]

What are your thoughts on this article?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:35 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Great article! And very encouraging but Los Angeles is very spread out. With the emphasis on light rail\ subways combined with green technology and bike-friendly environment, Los Angeles will be a much improved city.

Do you bike? Did you read about the large bikers gathering in Hollywood last week to protest the BP oil spill? The cops beat up a few bikers for no reason and have been suspended!

Old 06-09-2010, 01:07 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
This is good, unlike so much of the country you can bike throughout the year in Los Angeles. California can benefit from this sort of thing far more than other areas.

One issue though is who exactly gets to pay for it? Currently bikers don't contribute at all to this sort of infrastructure, where as people that own and use automobiles pay registration taxes and fuel taxes.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:16 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This is good, unlike so much of the country you can bike throughout the year in Los Angeles. California can benefit from this sort of thing far more than other areas.

One issue though is who exactly gets to pay for it? Currently bikers don't contribute at all to this sort of infrastructure, where as people that own and use automobiles pay registration taxes and fuel taxes.
If I had to guess, very little comes from registration fees and gasoline taxes. I think most local roads are financed with property taxes.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I would guess that most of the people could stand to ride a bike a couple times a week. We are getting fatter it seems. My wife and I went to our old club and were amazed at all the heavy people. What is up with that?

Heck I only live 6.5 miles from work. I could do it. Then again I am in the Oxnard area and work in Ventura.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
I think biking is impractical considering the vast distances most ppl have to travel to get to work. Also it just won't work in the heat of summer when it's over 100 degrees & roasting. No one wants to get hot & sweaty & stinky just commuting or running errands. I think culturally we've got different standards of hygiene compared to other bike-centric cities in Asia or Europe... just sayin!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I think biking is impractical considering the vast distances most ppl have to travel to get to work. Also it just won't work in the heat of summer when it's over 100 degrees & roasting. No one wants to get hot & sweaty & stinky just commuting or running errands. I think culturally we've got different standards of hygiene compared to other bike-centric cities in Asia or Europe... just sayin!
So true. Lucky me I live and work on the coast and we just don't have that many 100 degree days. High 80's from time to time. Also we have places to shower at work so I really don't have any excuse. For the most part and for most people I would say that it is not something that can be done because of the distances involved to get to work. Not sure if busses or trains can assist those that want to ride a bike or not. While I don't have an excuse I see your point.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:00 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
I bike for recreation and exercise but I can't seriously consider biking to work or anywhere else I'd expect to interact with people. I once rode my bike to class about 8 miles away and when I got there I was sweating so much you would have thought I had poured a glass of water on my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles