Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:54 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,108 times

Advertisements

In August 1964 the Beatles were in Los Angeles. They stayed at a mansion in Bel-Air and attended a charity event at a house in Brentwood.

This video is news footage (quality so so) which includes then Mayor Sam Yorty arriving at the event saying, "I am anxious to meet these fellows... ." He and his son make some additional comments about their music and police protection. Yorty's son was a Beatles fan.

If you watch the video go straight to the 4.20 mark because the sound on the first 4 minutes or so is no good.

YouTube - Beatles in Los Angeles, 1964 - Part 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 12:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
In August 1964 the Beatles were in Los Angeles. They stayed at a mansion in Bel-Air and attended a charity event at a house in Brentwood.

This video is news footage (quality so so) which includes then Mayor Sam Yorty arriving at the event saying, "I am anxious to meet these fellows... ." He and his son make some additional comments about their music and police protection. Yorty's son was a Beatles fan.

If you watch the video go straight to the 4.20 mark because the sound on the first 4 minutes or so is no good.

YouTube - Beatles in Los Angeles, 1964 - Part 2
Interesting I guess, but I am not sure what your point is or was? So the mayor attented as did his son, so there was police protection and so the kids, lots of them got excited and your point?

NIta

Old 06-13-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Interesting I guess, but I am not sure what your point is or was? So the mayor attented as did his son, so there was police protection and so the kids, lots of them got excited and your point?

NIta

No real point other the historical interest and perhaps a little surprise that Yorty seemed very accepting of the Beatles. Yorty's rep is often portrayed as a law and order type with a limted appetite for counter-cultural forces. Granted this tape is from 1964, not 1967.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I, for one, appreciate your posting the video SoCal! Having The Beatles in Los Angeles was HUGE. I can remember listening to their Hollywood Bowl concert on KRLA. All you could hear was the screaming. I'll be re-watching that video for sure.

Just saw Paul in concert. Fourty Six years later and he's still cute!

Old 06-13-2010, 05:28 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
No real point other the historical interest and perhaps a little surprise that Yorty seemed very accepting of the Beatles. Yorty's rep is often portrayed as a law and order type with a limted appetite for counter-cultural forces. Granted this tape is from 1964, not 1967.
This relates to some of the discussion on the "Los Angeles in the 1950s and 1960s" thread, regarding Yorty's public image vs. the actual man.

It is undeniable that Yorty was not the brightest of politicians, was provincial in his attitudes, was not very likeable, had poor negotiating skills, wasn't able to pronounce the name of his city, and was corrupt in making sweetheart deals for his developer buddies. (The more things change etc. ) He was also to the right of his party and as his time in office went on to the right of more and more of his city. He was widely regarded as an embarrassment to a Los Angeles that had become America's third largest city, surpassing Philadelphia*, right before he took office. (After leaving office he became a Republican, much like another big city mayor who is also regarded as a failure and who held office at the same time as Yorty, John Lindsay of New York City, would become a Democrat after leaving office due to being out of step with his party.) However, what he seemed to value more than anything else was stability - stability so that business (especially the businesses of his buddies) could make money and so that the city's economy would prosper. If he had been mayor in the 1950s he might have had a better historical reputation than he has. Unfortunately for him, his time in office saw some very major changes in Los Angeles (and the state and nation as a whole) and some very unanticipated conflicts arising. When the counterculture rose, Yorty was squeezed between the Board of Supervisors (especially Ernest Debs), Sheriff Pitchess, and his law and order base demanding all out war on the counterculture on one hand, and not wanting to totally alienate the youth or the more liberal elements of the Democratic Party (especially Jews and much of the entertainment industry) on the other. He made a speech on the Sunset Strip to try to conciliate the kids, to no avail. He really didn't want to be faced with the issue, and wound up making gestures to try to please everyone, and completely failed at it. Besides, the power of an L.A. mayor (even more then than now) was limited compared to the power of the supes. He didn't even have power over the LAPD, as he admitted when testifying before Congress in an inquiry into the Watts Riots. (The countercultural era largely coincided with a sort of vacuum in leadership between Parker and Davis ; the two LAPD chiefs of that era, Brown and Reddin, seemed - from what I've read - to be well-meaning reformer types who wanted to clean up the department from within and totally failed at doing so as the militarized, irresponsible, and brutal police culture Parker created was far too ingrained. Neither lasted long as LAPD chiefs. During that era, Pitchess was by far the dominant personality in L.A. law enforcement. )

Contrary to my perceptions as a child when Yorty was mayor (he was despised by virtually every adult around), it seems like he was not so much evil as he was a failure. He didn't have the ability to negotiate like his successor Bradley did (whom he demonized as a radical in the 1969 and 1973 mayoral elections and used racially charged inflammatory rhetoric against, which made him even less popular - I was in elementary school during both those elections). He also didn't have the great love for his adapted city the way Bradley did**, or perhaps he had love for the city as it had been in the 1950s and not what it was when he was actually mayor. He just wasn't able to deal with the changing times. Yorty As I said before, he probably would have had a better historical reputation if he'd have been mayor in the '50s, or if (another parallel with NYC Mayor Lindsay) he'd remained in Congress rather than hold an executive position, even one with few defined powers.

*L.A. would surpass Chicago in population in the 1980s
**No 20th century L.A. mayor was an L.A. native. James Hahn was the first L.A. mayor who was a native since Pio Pico.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I, for one, appreciate your posting the video SoCal! Having The Beatles in Los Angeles was HUGE. I can remember listening to their Hollywood Bowl concert on KRLA. All you could hear was the screaming. I'll be re-watching that video for sure.

Just saw Paul in concert. Fourty Six years later and he's still cute!

Wow...to have been at that show! I was surprised in the video to hear so many of the teenage girls screeming for Ringo. I am guy so it's not a big deal to me. But you would expect them to be screaming for Paul (or John or George). Those three had the talent.....Ringo was along for the ride.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:22 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
The main things I remember about Yorty were his nasally voice and the way he butchered the pronunciation of Los Angeles.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The main things I remember about Yorty were his nasally voice and the way he butchered the pronunciation of Los Angeles.

How did he say it? Los Angeleeezzz?

Old 06-14-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
This relates to some of the discussion on the "Los Angeles in the 1950s and 1960s" thread, regarding Yorty's public image vs. the actual man.

*L.A. would surpass Chicago in population in the 1980s
**No 20th century L.A. mayor was an L.A. native. James Hahn was the first L.A. mayor who was a native since Pio Pico.

Majoun: Thanks for the nice summary on Yotry. I did NOT know that or at least forgot that.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Many of us, even to the right of middle were fascinated with the Beatles and similar groups (if there were anything really similar)..?? At the time we didn't think about them being truely counter-culture...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles