Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 AM

221 posts, read 482,245 times

Advertisements

I've thought about this more, and my mind is made up: I'm moving back to Los Angeles, and building my filmmaking career. I'll be in Los Angeles by this Summer (2011). I'm saving up right now for the move.

My posts on this board have been scattered. I've been indecisive about what kind of career I want to build, and where I want to live. Besides LA, I thought about Minneapolis, Kansas City (where I was at for close to 3 months last year), Philadelphia, Detroit area (where I'm from), and many other places that I don't think I mentioned on this board. I thought about sticking with my educational field (Electrical Engineering), switching over to Civil Engineering, purusing a career in television news broadcasting.

But, I'm not doing any of those things. I'm going to Los Angeles, CA, and working on my filmmaking career. There's nothing else I want to do with my life, but make films. There's nothing else that motivates me and brings me joy and a sense of freedom than the idea of making films. That's the main thing that I ever think about (literally), and the one subject that I could talk about non-stop. With distractions and financial irresponsibility and personal issues, I have not been able to buy a camera or any basic film/video equipment, but I've done quite a bit of writing (film and personal stuff). I'll go on to admit that the main reason why I haven't gone any further in these last 5 years, was my refusal to face my fears, and allowing other people to lead me instead of leading myself and doing what I really want to do.

But, one motivator, is that I'm almost 29 years old, I'm just a year and a few months from 30, and I don't have time to wait around for, God knows what, to happen. I need to get started, and NOW! I'm not getting any younger. Plus, this is what I want to do with my life (so what if other people will disagree), then, I need to do it. Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't, but I still need to man up and stick to my truth. I need to totally lead myself, and be truely independent. I need to do what I truely want to do. There are NO EXCUSES. And finally, I need to face and push through those fears that have been nagging me about being in LA and making a complete career switch into filmmaking from a safe and stabled and comfy engineeering career, and continue to step out of my comfort zone.

But enough of the psychological analysis, I'm going to LA, and I'm sticking with MY chosen career path of filmmaking. Infact, I accept the challenge of competing against the best and most talented filmmakers in the business, and really fighting tooth and nail and investing my heart and soul and passion in fulfilling my true purpose. I've done my research, I've talked to ALOT of people not only in LA, but here in Wichita, KS who did some work in Hollywood (minor extra work) when they were in LA, and read alot of the information online, and the one thing I do know for sure: I'm ready. But, as stupid and crazy and silly and naive and ignorant and immature and unrealistic and unhealthy and misinformed and retarded as it sounds, I have faith that it's going to work out. I don't know how big of a career I'll have, but I believe that something will work out for me.

I hard as this decision is, it's really the ONLY decision for me at this point. There's nothing else for me to do. This is it. Whether I'm making films commercially or independently or whatever, this is what I'm going to commit the rest of my life to. It's my craft. I'm a filmmaker! I sometimes fantasize about what it would be like to be rich and famous and power, but underneath it all, I don't care about the money or the fame or the power at all. At this point in my life, it's the career that I care about more than anything else (literally). Being able to live my life, doing what I really enjoy doing (and good at), means more to me than any material posessions or wealth or attention will ever amount to. More important than that, is having full control over what I do with my life, and me being the leader of my own self. I guess I really didn't deserve a career in filmmaking until this point since I allowed it to play second fiddle to everything else going on in my life, and I allowed other people to sway me from my chosen path. It's when I make a decision, commit to that decision, and remain unperturbed in carrying out that mission, that it's truely a decision, and that I deserve whatever comes my way. It is only at that point, that I'm truely ready for change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,340,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanAA View Post
I've thought about this more, and my mind is made up: I'm moving back to Los Angeles, and building my filmmaking career. I'll be in Los Angeles by this Summer (2011). I'm saving up right now for the move.

My posts on this board have been scattered. I've been indecisive about what kind of career I want to build, and where I want to live. Besides LA, I thought about Minneapolis, Kansas City (where I was at for close to 3 months last year), Philadelphia, Detroit area (where I'm from), and many other places that I don't think I mentioned on this board. I thought about sticking with my educational field (Electrical Engineering), switching over to Civil Engineering, purusing a career in television news broadcasting.

But, I'm not doing any of those things. I'm going to Los Angeles, CA, and working on my filmmaking career. There's nothing else I want to do with my life, but make films. There's nothing else that motivates me and brings me joy and a sense of freedom than the idea of making films. That's the main thing that I ever think about (literally), and the one subject that I could talk about non-stop. With distractions and financial irresponsibility and personal issues, I have not been able to buy a camera or any basic film/video equipment, but I've done quite a bit of writing (film and personal stuff). I'll go on to admit that the main reason why I haven't gone any further in these last 5 years, was my refusal to face my fears, and allowing other people to lead me instead of leading myself and doing what I really want to do.

But, one motivator, is that I'm almost 29 years old, I'm just a year and a few months from 30, and I don't have time to wait around for, God knows what, to happen. I need to get started, and NOW! I'm not getting any younger. Plus, this is what I want to do with my life (so what if other people will disagree), then, I need to do it. Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't, but I still need to man up and stick to my truth. I need to totally lead myself, and be truely independent. I need to do what I truely want to do. There are NO EXCUSES. And finally, I need to face and push through those fears that have been nagging me about being in LA and making a complete career switch into filmmaking from a safe and stabled and comfy engineeering career, and continue to step out of my comfort zone.

But enough of the psychological analysis, I'm going to LA, and I'm sticking with MY chosen career path of filmmaking. Infact, I accept the challenge of competing against the best and most talented filmmakers in the business, and really fighting tooth and nail and investing my heart and soul and passion in fulfilling my true purpose. I've done my research, I've talked to ALOT of people not only in LA, but here in Wichita, KS who did some work in Hollywood (minor extra work) when they were in LA, and read alot of the information online, and the one thing I do know for sure: I'm ready. But, as stupid and crazy and silly and naive and ignorant and immature and unrealistic and unhealthy and misinformed and retarded as it sounds, I have faith that it's going to work out. I don't know how big of a career I'll have, but I believe that something will work out for me.

I hard as this decision is, it's really the ONLY decision for me at this point. There's nothing else for me to do. This is it. Whether I'm making films commercially or independently or whatever, this is what I'm going to commit the rest of my life to. It's my craft. I'm a filmmaker! I sometimes fantasize about what it would be like to be rich and famous and power, but underneath it all, I don't care about the money or the fame or the power at all. At this point in my life, it's the career that I care about more than anything else (literally). Being able to live my life, doing what I really enjoy doing (and good at), means more to me than any material posessions or wealth or attention will ever amount to. More important than that, is having full control over what I do with my life, and me being the leader of my own self. I guess I really didn't deserve a career in filmmaking until this point since I allowed it to play second fiddle to everything else going on in my life, and I allowed other people to sway me from my chosen path. It's when I make a decision, commit to that decision, and remain unperturbed in carrying out that mission, that it's truely a decision, and that I deserve whatever comes my way. It is only at that point, that I'm truely ready for change.
do not let anyone ever sway you from your professional dreams. i know alot of people on here are being quite harsh and you are taking it very well. it doesn't sound to me like you "don't want to work", you just can't stand the type of work you set yourself up professionally to do. to me a truly lazy son wouldn't have even finished school. you did. and filmmaking is a dream that you have not been able to shake. i have the same dreams myself and i look back and EVERYTHING i have done, i wanted to do it so that i could make films. when i was a musician i thought, "maybe this will take off, and i will use that money to make my first film". everything i have done in the past three years has been in service to that. i lived in venice for two years, had a falling out with my roommate and she gave me the chance to stay a few more months, but i moved out and slept in my van. the real reason was so that i could spend my rent money on a MacBook Pro, which i could (and have) made films with. i never regretted it for an instant.

and no one regrets what they did as much as what they didn't do. i think you need to read robert rodriguez's "ten minute film school". it transformed my life. remember, we are in the digital age. you can do whatever you want now if you can just get a camera. for about 3 grand you could buy a very servicable set up- boom mic, camera, sound recorder. get some friends and show em how to use the stuff. make a film. about anything. then try and get it into festivals. rodriguez put his films in festivals and he might make a few hundred for coming in third in toronto, or whatever. there are so many other avenues that don't include sucking on the saggy teats that is hollywood. what is hollywood? its people that used to be like us and then made some money. period.

good luck to you. seriously.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 PM

56 posts, read 137,983 times
Quote:
I've thought about this more, and my mind is made up: I'm moving back to Los Angeles.
I thought you were moving to Minneapolis, from your post on Dec. 29, 2010.
Quote:
Well, I've finally made up my mind (after months and months of thinking and analyzing). I'm moving to Minneapolis, MN. It'll be alittle while longer before I make it up there, but my decision is final. I thought about moving back to some other cities that I lived in before, but after doing some thorough research and examining my true needs, Minneapolis is the ideal choice.
Oh wait. I thought you were moving to Philadelphia, according to your post on that subject on December 23, 2010.
Quote:
Really? At the end of the day, I think there's a great chance that I'll end up back in Philadelphia. It has everything I want. Ontop of that, I won't need a car since SEPTA is good enough to get around (I honestly don't want a vehicle anyway). Thinking about it more, Philly seems like a great fit for me right now, and that's probably where I'll end up at sometime in 2011.
Because we know you want to be a film maker.
Quote:
I'm going to Los Angeles, CA, and working on my filmmaking career. There's nothing else I want to do with my life, but make films. There's nothing else that motivates me and brings me joy and a sense of freedom than the idea of making films.
But, wait. Now you want to be a civil engineer (from Dec. 11, 2011).
Quote:
But later (as in the last year or two), I've began understanding myself more and more and paying much more attention to my true desires, and I've noticed a facination I've always had with structures. I consider myself an architecture enthusiast. I have a tremendous interest in buildings, bridges, tunnels, highway systems (and their configurations), dams, skyscrapers (HUGH enthusiast of), churches, sports venues (stadiums and arenas), anything structural. My interest is in both old and new architecture. .
I'm confused. You seem to change your mind at the same frequency as your jobs have lasted. Maybe it's time to buckle down, concentrate and actually finish something.

Last edited by djsmps; 01-16-2011 at 07:00 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 01:12 PM

221 posts, read 482,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmps View Post
I thought you were moving to Minneapolis, from your post on Dec. 29, 2010.

Oh wait. I thought you were moving to Philadelphia, according to your post on that subject on December 23, 2010.

Because we know you want to be a film maker.

But, wait. Now you want to be a civil engineer (from Dec. 11, 2011).

I'm confused. You seem to change your mind at the same frequency as your jobs have lasted. Maybe it's time to buckle down, concentrate and actually finish something.
Well, I'm currently in Minneapolis. I don't want to be a Civil Engineer (yuk). The Philly move is probably not going to happen, due mainly to the social climate in that city (it's not a good fit for me). I like Philadelphia and all, but I don't think that would be a good move given who I am and my interests and such. Actually, I think the West Coast is the best place for me.

Yes, I change my mind, and yes, I seem to be "all over the place," but that's all part of the process. There's two things I'm trying to figure out in my life: Where to live, and what to do for a living. I'm single, I don't have any children, I don't own a home, I don't have a car note (I don't even have a vehicle), I have a college degree in a marketable field, I'm still relatively young (pushing 30), so there's really nothing tying me down or holding me back. I want to make the best possible decision in addressing those two nagging issues. This (City-Data.com) is the perfect forum for addressing these two things, which is why I'm here so much. In making the best possible decision, I have to be completely honest and open with what I'm feeling and what I'm thinking. Hey, it may sound silly to some people, but it's what I need to do to get to where I need to be (in location and career).

I do need to "buckle down, concentrate and actually finish something," but this "something" has to be in what I really want and what I really need. I am not going to be motivated to concentrate on something I don't want. Again, I need to be COMPLETELY HONEST when making the decision on what to commit to. All of us should be doing this. What's that famous quote (from the Bible)? "The truth will set you free." Ofcourse, the quote was made in reference to Jesus Christ as the truth (and we could go even deeper and relate ALL of this), but the quote is still very relevant to what I'm talking about. But I will admit, I am a perfectionist, so the thing I need to keep in mind is that NO decision I make is going to be perfect, and there will always be flaws and "undesirable elements" no matter what I do or where I go in life. So, it's a matter of figuring out what I really want, what is most important to me, and making the best possible decision out of the choices I have.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:43 PM

208 posts, read 417,729 times
I felt a connection to you and think we might make good friends. I'm a 31 year old male who was educated as a civil engineer and is deeply passionate about filmmaking. I worked as a civil engineer after graduating college for 5 years here in Atlanta during the real estate boom, but I hated both the work environment and the types of people I had to work around/under. Like you, I spent a lot of time on the computer, but during my last job which lasted 3.5 years I spent a lot of time studying filmmaking/video production through online forums and communities. Filmmaking is an extremely technical field as well as creative so that naturally attracts us engineers who suffer from depraved lives of cubicle farms and working alongside people with no personality or social ability whatsoever.

I feel you there...

But I have a much different perspective and have worked more than you it seems. I actually started my own company part-time while still employed, and after being laid off along with 70% of other civil engineers in the country in 2008-2009, I really HAD to get serious. I had already purchased a $1k camcorder and editing tools and had already been playing around on weekends with it, but after I was laid off I withdrew a significant portion of my IRA retirement and bought a $2500 camera and gear that would allow me to do professional work. After doing weddings/events/ and corporate video gigs here in Atlanta and taking advantage of large market here for those services, I gained valuable experience. I've slowly grown my arsenal to around $5000 worth of gear, which used to be nothing in filmmaking 10 years ago but today is more than enough to get by with (including DSLRs more recently). After 3 years, I've established myself as one of the top 5 wedding/event video producers in my metro area (IMO of course).

But I have no desire to move to LA, because of the simple fact that there is more competition there. I"m actually thinking of moving to Denver, CO for personal reasons because after your 20's you start to figure out that large cities like LA are like magnets for trash(not you, but generally).

It seems to me that you have probably made a good living for a single aged person. I made some financial mistakes also in my 20s as a miserable engineer. But this year I have started making just as much and more money per month than at the height of my engineering career.... ALL ON MY OWN.

Walt Disney started out in Kansas City and made a national name for himself there first I believe, before moving to Hollywood.

I wouldn't even TRY getting into the mainstream hollywood corporations. The older you get, the more you realize that "success" in any large corporation in america has absolutely nothing to do with your work. There are plenty of video producers in medium sized cities across america who make millions on their own and employ people and promote them based on their skills, not who they know. There is absolutely no reason to ever even VISIT LA. Tyler Perry here in Atlanta was worth tens of millions just doing local shows before he even went to LA to get his films distributed. I'm sure Denver has hundreds of millionaires in film production, as well as Kansas city even.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:09 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,210,444 times
My husband & I made a documentary with 2 flip cameras (less than $100/each). We managed to interview a couple of celebrities in it, and it was just picked up for distribution. You don't need a lot of money to make a movie. Just a good idea & some hard work.

(that being said, we're not using the flips for our second documentary... the sound is really crappy on them. They look pretty good, though! We're either going to buy cameras with mic inputs or use the flips with a separate sound module).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles