Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to California: Los Angeles, find a job, traffic, transportation system, earthquakes preparedness.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:22 PM

44 posts, read 143,745 times

Advertisements

Dont Even Get Me Started On The Way People Drive Here!!! Yes There Are Lots Of Things To Do Here If You Have No Kids And Want To Spend The Day In Traffic , My Husband Is Always Saying Lets Go Here Its Only An Hour Away, But After You Sit In Traffic For 15 Hours It Makes You Not Want To Leave The House. And The Beach Is Freezing, That Is One Thing I Cant Get Used To, The Cold As Hell Water!!my Dad Has A Good Theory On This Place But I Dont Think I Will Write It Because It Will **** Alot Of People Off. It Is Just A Whole Different Lifestyle To Sum It Up, Maybe All The Pollution Has Done Something? Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 08:13 AM

72,413 posts, read 18,199,776 times
I have lots of relatives who live in New York,they come and go again.Two different lifestyles.You can't say how bad a place is,if you don't like it,move on. Go to a place where you feel confortable.I cannot stand living in New York city,too busy for me.I wish I hadn't gone everytime I go to N Y. The other parts are nice.You can be too involved in N Y city.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:22 PM

12 posts, read 109,597 times
I can't understand why east coasters are so surprised that they need a car in California. The automobile culture, lack of quality public transportation, and urban sprawl of this city seem so well documented I feel that if you thought you were going to be able to just walk around like in New York City you need to have your head examined. I've lived in a few different areas of the country and from my experience some lifestyle changes seem awkward at first but you get used to them and eventually might even prefer them. Others you will hate and always will. Let your preferences from your experiences guide you to where you will be happy living.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:10 PM

It is very true,even Los Angeles and San Francisco is totally different.People who come to Los Angeles from SF cannot get used to it.For LA people looking at the slanted parking is awkward

Last edited by VillageLife; 06-19-2007 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: wrong spelling

Old 06-19-2007, 08:03 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdub09 View Post
I can't understand why east coasters are so surprised that they need a car in California. The automobile culture, lack of quality public transportation, and urban sprawl of this city seem so well documented I feel that if you thought you were going to be able to just walk around like in New York City you need to have your head examined. I've lived in a few different areas of the country and from my experience some lifestyle changes seem awkward at first but you get used to them and eventually might even prefer them. Others you will hate and always will. Let your preferences from your experiences guide you to where you will be happy living.
I completely agree. While I certainly have sympathy for people who are homesick, I have to wonder - did they know absolutely nothing about Los Angeles before moving here? How is that any different than someone from LA moving to NYC and then complaining about the lack of car culture? I'm from the East Coast, but I knew what I was getting into before deciding to move to LA. I knew that I wasn't going to able to walk around everywhere and prepared myself for a lifestyle change. Ways of life are different in all places. Haven't any of these New Yorkers ever seen "Annie Hall" before moving here?

Old 06-19-2007, 10:22 PM

17 posts, read 71,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdub09 View Post
I can't understand why east coasters are so surprised that they need a car in California. The automobile culture, lack of quality public transportation, and urban sprawl of this city seem so well documented I feel that if you thought you were going to be able to just walk around like in New York City you need to have your head examined.
Not sure who you're directing this at exactly, but I really don't believe I need to have my head examined. I wasn't SURPRISED that I needed a car in California. I knew that before I got here and was actually looking forward to the freedom of having a car. What I hadn't realized beforehand was how bad the traffic is, how inconsiderate some drivers can be, and how stressed out and aggravated I am on a daily basis for the two reasons just mentioned. Sure, you hear stories, but until you actually experience it yourself, it's easy to downplay what you've heard from others. In my case, the issue is not that I thought I'd be able to walk around, only to find out upon my arrival that it's not possible. The issue is that a) I didn't realize how much I'd miss walking and b) I had no idea that LA could make driving (something I actually enjoy most of the time) into a completely unpleasant experience.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:26 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
I have a car. I was sympathizing with the OP, who is obviously young and, from what I gather, moved here because his parents were moving and he is still living with them.

As for knowing "about" LA before moving here...many of us, I'm sure (myself included), visited LA before moving. I personally didn't move because I was in love with LA. I moved here for my son's health.

But if you're intent on getting your knickers in a twist...feel free. :P Don't let me stop you.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:35 AM

12 posts, read 109,597 times
My comment wasn't aimed specifically at anyone on this thread, simply an observation. This forum in general seems to be flooded with easterners complaining about having to drive everywhere. I just find myself saying "well..what did they expect?"

Old 06-20-2007, 08:42 AM

Have you tried other cities such as Kansas City,S/N Carolinas,Texas? Those need cars too.Try to find places where you like to drive or walk

Old 06-20-2007, 11:23 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
I am from Central New Jersey, and now live in Phoenix. I worked in New York, so I can attest to some of the differences between the East and West coasts that people have mentioned. I, too, don't understand how people from the East Coast complain about the car culture and the traffic here in the West. You live in a metropolitan area with 19 million people and you're surprised that there's traffic?! I am a little confused as to the one poster who said she's surprised about the stress that the freeways can cause. Before you moved out to LA didn't you hear about the freeway shootings that take place in LA occasionally? It is WIDELY known that LA has a reputation of having a HORRIBLE bus system, but people still move out there expecting the bus system to be on par with that of New York's.

It shows irresponsibility on your part to move to a different part of the country and not know what you're in for. That's like me moving to Phoenix and expressing shock over the heat, or the lack of rain.

I suggest that before you move across the country you truly investigate the environment that your moving to, so that there aren't any unpleasant surprises.

If you can't handle LA, why don't you just go back home? Please remember why you moved out here in the first place. The grass is always greener on the other side for some people. You'll just never be content where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles