Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:30 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,589 times

Advertisements

If history is any indication, teams that are ahead in a series 3 games to 2 and don't close it out, they lose. In 1988 the Detroit Pistons were ahead 3-2 going into Game 6 and what happened? They couldn't finish off the Lakers and ended up losing the series. More recently in 2009, Boston was ahead 3-2 against Orlando but they couldn't close out the series and ended up losing a Game 7 on their court. Regardless of what some may say, this is not a good strategy for the Celtics who know deep down inside they should have closed out this series. In these playoffs, every time the Lakers have had a chance to win a deciding game they have done it. The home team DOES benefit from the 2-3-2 format started back in 1985. I would expect Boston to come on to the court and put in the effort but as well as Boston has done, I just think I'd be hard pressed to say the Lakers won't win. In fact, Jalen Rose said even before the series started that the Lakers would win the series. As did Magic and Byron. Those two guys played for the Lakers and I'm sure they are aware of the history and the Lakers style of play. I didn't get a chance to see the game tonight but my sixth sense or hunch tells me the Lakers know what the situation is. Losing to Boston would really hurt and that experience in 2008 taught this team a lot. I give Boston credit for getting this far as I will admit that they are here because they are talented and they play a physical style of basketball. But that may not be enough. Lakers in 7

Last edited by AliveandWell; 06-16-2010 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: add text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 12:34 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
and also btw the only reason these espn people are picking lakers is because of their outstanding performance this game.

im willing to bet that these same espn folks were betting on boston after game 5, and after seeing the trashy games by l.a in boston.

so the bandwagon also lies in the espn
The Celtics have been counted out all post-season. Nobody thought they would make it out of the playoffs and that they were even lucky to be in the playoffs. But every prediction has been wrong and now the Celtics are one game short of a championship. BUT, the Celtics are playing in Los Angeles against a team that now has the momentum. The difference in the score tonight was the widest in the entire series [Lakers up by 27 points at one time]. That's why the sport commentators are going with the Lakers to win. Injuries on both sides should equalize the overall team performances. I don't think game 7 will be anything like game 6 was but I do think that Los Angeles will get another NBA championship.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
It's official

Perkins out for Game 7 - BostonHerald.com

Old 06-16-2010, 04:13 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

I wish that were NOT the case because:
1) Never good to see a starting player go out;

and 2) I don't want to hear Celtic fans use that as an excuse for losing (assuming the Lakers win).

Old 06-16-2010, 05:49 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
If history is any indication, teams that are ahead in a series 3 games to 2 and don't close it out, they lose. In 1988 the Detroit Pistons were ahead 3-2 going into Game 6 and what happened? They couldn't finish off the Lakers and ended up losing the series. More recently in 2009, Boston was ahead 3-2 against Orlando but they couldn't close out the series and ended up losing a Game 7 on their court. Regardless of what some may say, this is not a good strategy for the Celtics who know deep down inside they should have closed out this series. In these playoffs, every time the Lakers have had a chance to win a deciding game they have done it. The home team DOES benefit from the 2-3-2 format started back in 1985. I would expect Boston to come on to the court and put in the effort but as well as Boston has done, I just think I'd be hard pressed to say the Lakers won't win. In fact, Jalen Rose said even before the series started that the Lakers would win the series. As did Magic and Byron. Those two guys played for the Lakers and I'm sure they are aware of the history and the Lakers style of play. I didn't get a chance to see the game tonight but my sixth sense or hunch tells me the Lakers know what the situation is. Losing to Boston would really hurt and that experience in 2008 taught this team a lot. I give Boston credit for getting this far as I will admit that they are here because they are talented and they play a physical style of basketball. But that may not be enough. Lakers in 7
what awful garbage.

do you know celtics are 11 - 0 when being 3 - 2???

so your statements have been debunked. NEXT.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The Celtics have been counted out all post-season. Nobody thought they would make it out of the playoffs and that they were even lucky to be in the playoffs. But every prediction has been wrong and now the Celtics are one game short of a championship. BUT, the Celtics are playing in Los Angeles against a team that now has the momentum. The difference in the score tonight was the widest in the entire series [Lakers up by 27 points at one time]. That's why the sport commentators are going with the Lakers to win. Injuries on both sides should equalize the overall team performances. I don't think game 7 will be anything like game 6 was but I do think that Los Angeles will get another NBA championship.
doesn't mean anything at all , celtics are 11 - 0 when being 3 - 2, and are the best on the road team.

and honestly seeing game 1 to game 2 both in staples i really do not know why laker fans act like they know lakers will win.

i bet laker fans thought celtics had no chance to win in staples in game 2, after a horrible celtics loss in game 1 in staples.

so don't get your hopes up.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Lakers are 7 point favorites right now, last night it was 6.5 points. I think i'm with the bookies on this one.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:36 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
what awful garbage.

do you know celtics are 11 - 0 when being 3 - 2???

so your statements have been debunked. NEXT.

Actually, your comment is beyond garbage. You are comparing how Celtics teams from different eras performed and extrapolating to today? In addition, statistically speaking 11 observations is nowhere near enough to draw any real conclusions from your example. Stats 101 will tell you that.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
I wish that were NOT the case because:
1) Never good to see a starting player go out;

and 2) I don't want to hear Celtic fans use that as an excuse for losing (assuming the Lakers win).
I don't mind that he's out. It increases the probability of the Lakers winning. But...I don't think it makes a huge difference. His backups are just about as good and I think they are better outside shooters. It may actually work in the celtics favor.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Actually, your comment is beyond garbage. You are comparing how Celtics teams from different eras performed and extrapolating to today? In addition, statistically speaking 11 observations is nowhere near enough to draw any real conclusions from your example. Stats 101 will tell you that.
o yea i am because celtics took the lakers out in game 2 at staples, and on top of that won 2 out of the three games in boston, and to make it better celtics have not allowed lakers to win back to back games.

NEXT

btw i know celtics will step their game up , and i hope they take the trophy and continue the legacy of the celtics being the father of the lakers.

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO CELTICSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles