Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:17 PM

23,292 posts, read 23,667,542 times

Advertisements

It is far from everything and almost nothing is close by, which means you have to drive in inhospitable LA traffic. Schools are bad. Enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 PM

3,951 posts, read 7,164,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
It is far from everything and almost nothing is close by, which means you have to drive in inhospitable LA traffic.

You have to do some driving not matter where in LA you live it seems.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,164,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamawesomezero View Post
Most of the schools there are mediocre at best
That sadly is par the course for most of LAUSD.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 PM

19 posts, read 32,781 times
Sylmar is a dump. I have lived here three years. Used to live here early to mid 70s when there was a mix of hardworking people. Now it is all illegals, low income, high crime, parolees, gangs, drug addicts. I moved here from Santa Clarita because of the gridlock at 5-14 freeway. I regret ever coming back. Very few whites living in Sylmar, 10+ living in a home is not uunusual. The area is filthy, poorly represented, and there is no where to shop other than Vallarta and Food 4 Less. Try Simi, Santa Clarita, Chatsworth , Porter Ranch, Granada Hills. I'm selling and never coming back.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,299,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
Sylmar is a dump. I have lived here three years. Used to live here early to mid 70s when there was a mix of hardworking people. Now it is all illegals, low income, high crime, parolees, gangs, drug addicts. I moved here from Santa Clarita because of the gridlock at 5-14 freeway. I regret ever coming back. Very few whites living in Sylmar, 10+ living in a home is not uunusual. The area is filthy, poorly represented, and there is no where to shop other than Vallarta and Food 4 Less. Try Simi, Santa Clarita, Chatsworth , Porter Ranch, Granada Hills. I'm selling and never coming back.
Did you realize it was that bad when you moved three years ago ? Or did you think it was going to be the same as the 70s?

Where do you plan to move to ?

Old 01-29-2014, 01:09 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,512,347 times
Granada Hills/Knollwood would be better and it's adjacent to Sylmar.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:43 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,360,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Did you realize it was that bad when you moved three years ago ? Or did you think it was going to be the same as the 70s?

His apocalyptic scenario is mostly BS too--Sylmar has much lower overall crime over the last 6 months than tony, trendy West Hollywood:

Sylmar Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

West Hollywood Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

There have been ZERO homicides in the area over the last 6 months.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:21 PM

113 posts, read 194,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
His apocalyptic scenario is mostly BS too--Sylmar has much lower overall crime over the last 6 months than tony, trendy West Hollywood:

You can't really compare the two though. West Hollywood is going to have a lot of crime because people from all over LA County visit. It probably doesn't affect the average resident who lives there that much. Sylmar on the other hand still has a pretty high amount of property crimes (even compared to places like Pacoima) and I doubt that people from outside the area are the ones experiencing/committing the crimes.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

I had heard bad things before moving here, but used to defend the area based on having lived there before. I grew up across the street from the mountains and enjoyed hiking, biking, riding dirt bikes.
I know you can't turn the clock back, but seeing the difference between when Sylmar was vibrant, clean, hardworking families with only one family per home is difficult. Most homes have multiple families living in garages, back yards, debris and junk fill front yards. Junk cars, mattress haulers, recycling trucks are everywhere. I saw one junk hauler try to steal the handles off a skate ramp in broad daylight. The neighbors see cars get stolen, but won't cooperate with police out of fear. Drug addicts wander the neighborhood day and night. People dig through trash looking for recyclables. Furniture and garbage get dumped in front of homes regularly. My neighbor left a toilet and sink in front of home for a year before the city finally picked it up.
Mariachi and Banda music are a constant reminder that Sylmar is a different place than before. If you have kids, save your money and move to Santa Clarita, Valencia, Simi, Burbank.
I moved from Santa Clarita and work in Downtown LA. I work all over the area so I get a good feel for the neighborhoods. I don't think there is any comparison between WEHO and Sylmar as the demographics have zero in common.
On the plus side, freeway access is easy, mountains are nearby for hiking and biking, ElCariso is a nice golf course. Horse properties are still available.
If I was doing it again, I would buy elsewhere though, especially if you have kids.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

Three murders in two months, latest incident happening now. So much for "Old" statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles