Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:02 PM

425 posts, read 1,954,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The very same GM.
With their successful lobby to derail the red cars, they were in the thick of it to see that California would favor the automobile over public transit.
By pouring millions into the Arroyo Sewco Parkway project, they stood to gain millions in new auto sales.
With GM'S bucks, the state had a windfall of extra bucks to help fund other road projects.
The more accessible freeways built, the more cars being built to use them.
Simple economoics, that old supply and demand theory.
Bob.
They got into trouble for their shenanigans, but only got a little slap on the wrist as punishment. I wonder what LA's public transportation system would have been like if GM wasn't able to interfere with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:52 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll View Post
They got into trouble for their shenanigans, but only got a little slap on the wrist as punishment. I wonder what LA's public transportation system would have been like if GM wasn't able to interfere with it.
Probably the same as it is today. People - especially liberals (and I'm generally a liberal) - like to blame the auto manufacturers, but the truth is that it was the City Of L.A. and the residents who wanted more freeways. We can romanticize public transportation, but it was just as undesirable decades ago as it is today: Slow and crowded, with limited service, even in its heyday.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:44 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
I'm hardly ever on that freeway, but it epitomizes how horribly out of date LA's infrastructure has become.

-Designed for 27,000 cars a day, and now it handles a 122,000. I wonder what the numbers are for the 405, 10, etc.

The system needs a bigger overhaul than just a name change.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Probably the same as it is today. People - especially liberals (and I'm generally a liberal) - like to blame the auto manufacturers, but the truth is that it was the City Of L.A. and the residents who wanted more freeways. We can romanticize public transportation, but it was just as undesirable decades ago as it is today: Slow and crowded, with limited service, even in its heyday.
Public transportation is great as long as someone else is using it and making the freeways flow more smoothly for me.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:31 PM

425 posts, read 1,954,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This is more than liberal finger-pointing. GM violated antitrust laws in order to dismantle the streetcars in Los Angeles, as well as other cities (Detroit, Cleveland, NYC, to name a few). They faced charges on this.

Also, Los Angeles' public transportation is not representational of the entire US. Chicago and New York City both have excellent and extensive public transportation systems. Perhaps if Los Angeles had had the chance to work on their public transportation system the way that both Chicago and NYC has, it would be better. Is LA different from NYC and Chicago? Yes. Does that mean a good, efficient public transportation system can never come to LA? No.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:19 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
The Pasadena fwy is 70 years old!
Pasadena Freeway: The Pasadena Freeway turns 70, showing its age and its charm - latimes.com

Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
For 5 years of my childhood lived right next to this historic route, on Bridewell Street. Back then, it was the first and only freeway in SoCal. No one called it a freeway, or, for that matter, a parkway, it was just simply referred to as the speedway. We had a 1938 Ford, and my dad would usually drive around 45mph on it, common in that era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles