Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
More like, "Live, from Florence and Normandy!"

L.A. Riots Reginald Denny beating - YouTube
That is Normandie - and no the correct spelling doesn't have a double meaning - or any event it isn't intended to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:14 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That is Normandie - and no the correct spelling doesn't have a double meaning - or any event it isn't intended to...
You know, I was actually thinking about that misspelling while taking a bath tonight. I thought you all might let me slide on that one, guess not.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
While Normandie has seen it's share of violence, many may point to that which Normandy has seen as a bit more substantial, historically speaking.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Everyone things people in LA are a bunch of yuppies and hollywood hill folks. We resent that side of L.A.

We are as tough and grimy as any New Yorker.

Life is pretty tough alot of times for many here. People arent basking in the sun 24/7. And if we are in the sun, we are working an 8 hour shift. Or taking the bus.
And we are miserable.

Our streets are dark at night, hollywood isn't all glamour, no one here cares about the stars in Hollywood, and we'd be happy to raze Beverley hills and launch Paris Hilton to the sun.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 PM

611 posts, read 1,601,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Everyone things people in LA are a bunch of yuppies and hollywood hill folks. We resent that side of LA

Our streets are dark at night, hollywood isn't all glamour, no one here cares about the stars in Hollywood, and we'd be happy to raze Beverley hills and launch Paris Hilton to the sun.

No, not everyone thinks of LA that way. You need to replace "we" with "I" as well. Los Angeles wouldn't be Los Angeles if the places YOU resent and loathe did not exist.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:11 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post

No, not everyone thinks of LA that way. You need to replace "we" with "I" as well. Los Angeles wouldn't be Los Angeles if the places YOU resent and loathe did not exist.
I think it would be better

Old 07-10-2012, 06:00 PM

12 posts, read 23,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I am 99% certain that the original poster's title is correct and the question mark belongs outside the quotation marks. If the quote is a question, then the question mark belongs inside the quote. If the sentence is a question which uses a word in quotes as the original poster wrote, then the question mark belongs outside of the quotes.

Correct: She asked, "Will you still be my friend?"

Correct: Do you agree with the saying, "All's fair in love and war"?

[URL="http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/quotation.htm"]Quotation Marks[/URL]

[URL="http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp"]Quotation Marks | Punctuation Rules[/URL]

Being a Grammar Nazi myself, I do believe you are correct. If the quote IS the sentence then the punctuation is within the quote. If the quote is only PART of the sentence, the punctuation comes after the quote.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:28 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
New York City
Boston
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Chicago
Detroit

WOW look at all those eastern cities
I do love Chicago

Old 07-12-2012, 11:33 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2GMOS View Post
I know exactly who I am, thanks.
Says the poster who changed her user name in between posts in this topic.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:02 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Says the poster who changed her user name in between posts in this topic.
Maybe she knows of numerous "I am's". Why settle for just one personality?

It is a bit ironic to argue for one's own relevancy in a thread concerning what's "real" and "fake", only to change names halfway through. Haven't seen that one before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles